Ingleby Junction

Dale

Ingleby Junction is my take on Battersby; a once through station, now truncated as a terminus where the Esk Valley line from Whitby meets the local rails from Middlesbrough.  Why not call it Battersby then?  - simply enough the layout may be 'in the theme and flavour' of Battersby but the track plan is not authentic.  It was created to cater for both the space i have available, the features i wanted to include and the operation interest i required.  The trains and engines are representative but not wholly and not without a fair dollop of modellers license too.

Stock: The majority is RTR with some kit built rolling stock

Control: NCE ProCab

Signals: MERG Servo driven MSE kits

Track: Exactoscale fast track OO finescale sleeper system with HiNi code 75 bullhead rail

Era: 2 in fact - late 50's steam (modellers license has delayed the arrival of DMU's so i still plan to run around my suburbans), and early 70's green to blue diesels (the 'sound day' as my diesel fleet is all sound chipped)

So far the baseboards have been built, along with a lighting rig.  the Fiddleyard board is almost done and i have 95% of the stock for the layout.  The trackplan has been finalised for the station and goods areas with a little fettling to be done in the MPD but we are almost there.

I will post some pic's of progress as it occurs.

The current job is fitting suitable corridor connectors and kadee's to the Gresley 61'6" stock of my holiday special train.  I can just fit 5 coaches and a B1 on my cassettes... All those lucky folk off to sunny Scarborough for the weekend....

D.

post-11004-0-55179500-1376308953_thumb.jpg

Brilliant another North Eastern layout I will keep an eye on this one getting spoilt for choice lately I'll be getting homesick again and the Seatrout will be running the river Wear.Better get me bags packed I can smell a sausage and egg stottie coming on!!

Hi Dale,

The plan looks good and enough operational play too.

Look forward to the development of your layout. As Simon has stated 'Brilliant another North Eastern layout.'

Mark in OZ

No criticism for the track plan at all, surely I havn't cracked it first time out folks??

Nice looking plan, I am a little jealous that you have 20 x 9 to play with. :no: With that sort of size full lengths rakes are doable, are you not selling yourself short by going with 7 coach lengths max? Or does the height differance between the station and traveser levels and the consequent gradients play a part?

Dale -

Do come and say hello to me at the Middlesbrough Exhibition on the 19th & 20th May. I will be there with my layout - Stainsby. I live not far from you in Thornaby - not quite Thorn Abbey but near enough! There will be other RM webbers at the show too. Jonathan Wealleans, TomF and Worsdell Forever to mention but a few.

Regards

David Scott

Dale -

Do come and say hello to me at the Middlesbrough Exhibition on the 19th & 20th May. I will be there with my layout - Stainsby. I live not far from you in Thornaby - not quite Thorn Abbey but near enough! There will be other RM webbers at the show too. Jonathan Wealleans, TomF and Worsdell Forever to mention but a few.

Regards

David Scott

Will do David. I get back from the rig on Thursday so a trip to the exhibition is inked into my diary.

• 1 year later...

I did take a picture on my phone of the layout progress so far but sadly left the cable in the hotel before coming offshore... best laid plans of mice and men.

The Gresley's are sorted now with couplings and corridor connectors.  The Mk1/Thompson stock for the railtour train are not such an easy fix with the NEM pockets at the wrong heights.  I will have to see about number 5's on them maybe?

Anyone know the names of the RCTS railtours which 'may' have gone up the Esk Valley line back in the day?

D.

Dale

I I were you I'd think again about cassettes.  I've had involvements with 3 layouts that use cassettes: Awrhyllgwami Quarry, Waterloo St and Danby.  On Waterloo St they work well as the trains are short and separate loco cassettes mean that the locos can be swapped easily.  On Awrhyllgwami Quarry I've dropped a cassette with 4 coaches and a loco at an exhibition.  It's one way of being noticed.  Fortunately the stock was not damaged that time.  But at another exhibtion whilst I wasn't around someone else managed to shoot a few wagons out of a cassette on to the floor.  On Danby Rob has replaced one of his cassette fiddle yards with a turntable which work very well.

I think cassettes work well when train lengths are only 3 foot but above that length and handling them becomes very difficult.

Richard

Hi Richard.  Ideally i wanted to use a traverser fiddleyard but the space i have available has dictated the use of cassettes.  There is simply no way around it sadly.  I have a space about 12" deep and 5'6" long with a set of shelves to store the cassettes on with no space behind to pull out a traverser draw.  Not ideal but its what i have.  :(

Baseboard work is almost complete, with only the back of the fiddleyard area to sort (far end with the white board behind it) and the last of the lighting to go up.  The NCE controllers are in and linked up and threading rail onto fasttrack sleeper bases is underway...

9543334079_2ab35b68da.jpg
Baseboards by Standardtank, on Flickr

Dale, the layout will look great... and as Markeg said... another North eastern layout.... slowly we will take over the world :triniti: great to have so much space to enjoy and produce a lovely layout. Lots of interest you have squeezed into the plan. 

The evolution of the track plan was a slow and painful process and even now, the MPD area is under final revision.  My original naive hopes were for a huge roundy roundy based on Thornaby but over the last 18 months or so and with input from a lot of folks, my aims have been fettled.  Myself and Scottiedog spent a lot of time poring over operational moves; what did i want to do, how it could be done etc.  I have been lucky in the people i am surrounded by who have guided a novice with big ideas toward a realistic project.  The results are a plan which is 'track busy' but i think its a compromise between operational longevity, entertainment and prototypical themed modelling.  A true representation of Battersby - no.  An entertaining layout to operate/watch with at least the Esk Valley flavour - i hope so.

From an absolute beginner when i joined the CMRC to where i am now (still mostly clueless...) has been a grand journey (and frequently expensive when my credit card has acted before my plans have been cemented) but i think with Ingleby Junction, i am on the right track... 

OK, apologies for the pun.

D.

Lol, i like it mate. Keeping an eye on it - you think your call up papers are not being prepared as we speak...? I just need to barter with the Dog for your time as we split you between Ingleby Junction and working on the roundy-roundy boards for Stainsby... (see how i slipped that in there Dog, i am relentless). D.

Dale I wouldn't say you we're clueless the baseboards look great, even if they are bought in you have the foundations of something that you will be very proud of once it makes it onto the exhibition circuit... You may not get a exhibition local to Markeg and I .... Victoria Australia!

I look forward to seeing the layout materialise!

Hi Doug,

The baseboards were another product of the CMRC.  Our resident carpentry wizard, Martin Smith built an adjustable jig/frame with which you can consistently fabricate the framework using PSE timber blocks in a 6mm ply sandwich.  All you need to do is build one former and then away you go...  Martin built the first board whilst i watched, i built the second under his watchful eye and then he left me to it.  I built the lighting rig using the same philosophy and so far, the whole lot is still standing.  The legs are 2" x 2" PSE and braced top and bottom with more 6mm ply as a sandwich and cross braced at the back of the layout only.  The later being to facilitate the free standing shelves under each baseboard.  The small 3' x 3' board provides a duck under to access the rear of the layout.  This now has a carpet and some foam to spare the groans of the wrinklies.  The lad's at the club take the michael a little as the whole lot is as solid as a rock but it needs to be - i am not the most dainty nor gentle of men.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the woodwork with the fiddleyard board coming together.  Just the yard shelf to site now but that's waiting on finalising how i am going to build my cassettes so i can get the height of the table right.  obviously from the pic, the keen eyed will realise i dont have all of the lower shelves in place yet but we are getting there...

post-11004-0-62548100-1377796957_thumb.jpg

Dale I understand where you come from standing as I do 190cm and 100kg's. I haven't had to use the size in a while but things usually give way when they have too. I have built my layout and SRman's using the L girder system I think I could walk on them they are both solid as a rock. Then again I am a little more handy with a saw and timber... I think at times we over do the engineering but some others tend to under do it also.

Progress on the woodwork with the fiddleyard board coming together.  Just the yard shelf to site now but that's waiting on finalising how i am going to build my cassettes so i can get the height of the table right.  obviously from the pic, the keen eyed will realise i dont have all of the lower shelves in place yet but we are getting there...

Hi Dale, I have had another read through and I am looking forward to seeing more soon, I recon it is going to be very impressive, well done so far.

As for your tag / comment along the bottom, well I have Live in Gadansk in the car, the Good Wife bought me the big pack with books, passes, tickets, CD's and DVD's a couple of Christmass back, its been in the car and one disc in the railway room ever since, great ballasting music, hahaaa.

All the best

Andy

Off to work again today, via Aberdeen then Stravanger so no progress on the railway for a couple of weeks.  Next leave will see all the brass strips down at the baseboard joins and the rest of the shelves finished off.  If I can, the last of the lighting pelmet will go up and the lengthy task of threading bullhead rail into my fast track sleepers will commence... all exciting stuff I am sure you will agree.

In the mean time I have 'on an Island' on the iphone - could be worse :P

Just before i check in I thought i would take the opportunity to post the final track plan with the new mod's. D.

So at the far right we have what was once the double track to Picton.  Its now truncated so has become a run-around.  The far left are the two bidirectional single tracks, one to Middlesbrough, one to Whitby.

post-11004-0-29355200-1378114916_thumb.png

Archived