Lehigh Valley eye candy in Pete's back garden

CraigZ

Wow - how many cabooses (cabeese?) does one railroad need! That must be one of the oldest operational diesel locomotives in the world, it's amazing it survived in original LH paint for so long.

Trying to put the age of this loco into perspective is a brain teaser - this loco is over seventy years old but surely diesels are 'Modern Image' :scratchhead:

Really enjoyed the vid - Thanks for sharing.

Hmm.. haven't been down to the BR & W any time this year - and this weekend's out it been Mothers Day. Will try to catch this this Summer - and yes there are some incredible cabooses at Ringoes. Photos are up in another thread started by me last year.

By the way where they filmed that is a no go area for plebs like me....

Best, Pete.

That must be one of the oldest operational diesel locomotives in the world,.

There was a 1924 Ingersoll Rand boxcab was bought back by the IR in about 2005. Last I heard it was still operational as a yard switcher within the IR Phillipsburg plant.

Cheers

David

There was a 1924 Ingersoll Rand boxcab was bought back by the IR in about 2005. Last I heard it was still operational as a yard switcher within the IR Phillipsburg plant.

Cheers

David

It seems to have been a bit earlier than that. Apparently it's been part of the Illinois Railway Museum collection for some time - since at least 1985:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomas-merton/2700125294/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8226029@N06/695987482/lightbox/

Interesting all the same.

Adam

Trying to put the age of this loco into perspective is a brain teaser - this loco is over seventy years old but surely diesels are 'Modern Image' :scratchhead:

...and it still looks quite 'up-to-date' in terms of it's styling, too :declare:

Really enjoyed the vid - Thanks for sharing.

So did I - I love this "rural Short Line" look... trouble is it's giving me far too many fresh ideas for layouts!!

I really shouldn't have watched it... or this one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3anPXRYzDF4&feature=related

.....with the obligatory "Wibbly Track Scene" from 00:36 onwards..... :locomotive:

Just in case no one realizes the movie the Craig linked to is at the other end of the line at Ringoes, NJ from the Three Bridges interchange with NS that I've posted about in other threads.

They may well link up from Ringoes to Lambertville on the Delaware River. Last time I was in Lambertville I saw a Speedster "shoot" across the main drag heading towards Ringoes.

Unfortunately the BR & W is not the friendliest of shortlines, at Ringoes one is bombarded with "No Trespassing Signs" at all the interesting locations, particularly around the shop.

Best, Pete.

The thing about the BR & W that is quite attractive is that it runs a serious business with NS delivering Freight at the Three Bridges interchange (so you've got that connection of vintage engines interfacing with modern NS stuff - and then delivering/picking up along the route)... then you have a "heritage" line on the same route (between Flemington - an important shopping centre - and Ringoes, very occasionally along the whole route to Three Bridges). They have a collection of oddites at Ringoes (incl. all those Cabooses) plus there is the heritage group that are refurbishing things like "Old and Weary" Pullman cars).

This bucolic line is within 50 - 60 miles by car from NYC.

Best, Pete.

Archived