Railway Modeller June 2012

PMP

• RMweb Premium

RAILWAY OF THE MONTH

Batley in OO, The Great Northern and London & North Western shared an installation in the west Yorkshire woollen town

The Barry Tourist Railway

Preserved railway in South Wales and its potential for modelling, scale drawings of two principal structures.

More than a tailchaser…

Roxby Town N Gauge tailchaser with long trains in a relatively short space

An old mill for Foston Mills

Structure modelling techniques in 7mm scale.

OO gauge outdoors

Two outdoor circuits in the garden.

A coach for Clydach

OO9 coach build using etched and RTR components.

The Isle of Man Steam Railway

A look at the IOM narrow gauge and its modelling potential by editor Steve Flint.

Colyer Street

OO Pre-TOPS diesels on a minimum-space layout.

Alternative Toads

Variations on Great Western brake vans in OO, the first of which is a Towyn-based ex-Cambrian example using RTR model as the foundation.

Kinmundy

Forum member Martin Wales' EM terminus in north east Scotland in 4mm, inspired by a short-lived military branch.

Sound at both ends!

The concluding part to this N gauge project to add DCC sound to an HST set.

Return to Hornby Central

Developments on this home-based OO layout, including an enthusiasts' special.

Railway Modelling Explored

How to move on from the train set: choosing a suitable location, aspects of layout design, and types of baseboard.

Change of identity

How to rename and renumber a proprietary steam locomotive.

Reviews

Bachmann Class 85, Hornby 1934 'Brighton Belle' , Dapol A3 Pacifics in N, Bachmanns 4mm trams

Comment

Dennis Lovett from Bachmann suggests some people should do some modelling :O instead of relying on RTR manufacturers :locomotive:

I think Dennis' comment piece may get some reaction, the RME section on layout construction is a nice basic and quite comprehensive introduction.

• RMweb Premium

Bit surprised to see Roxby Town featured as it's only just been in BRM; I always liked it as Stapleforth Mainline and although I can appreciate the changes made I wonder on the value of two mags featuring a "made-over" layout in favour of a new build...on which note they include yet another revamp in the form of Hornby Central; is this going to be a recurring theme, a bit like Changing Rooms for railway modellers...?!

....., a bit like Changing Rooms for railway modellers...?!

Now that sounds like an exciting opportunity. Cue some wacky presenters, any volunteers although we're already got a handy Andy. :sarcastichand:

G.

I can recall Grahame Hedges excellent Stoney Lane Depot appeared in quick sucession across the mainstream mags and no-one complained.

And the editors of the majority of them specifically asked to feature it. I had to write each article from a different angle with a subtly different story and perspective, as well as take a new set of pics for each (where they didn't photo the layout themselves).

G.

Railway of the month "Batley" is a brilliant layout, superbly photographed and very, very well presented in the mag. I'd say it's probably the best presented layout article I've seen for a very long time. Nice long "down the layout" views as well. Batley in the 50's was a very modellable location indeed.

Colyer St also a interesting layout. I think the Railway Modeller has improved alot lately, far better than the other mags for value, allways 3 or 4 layouts in each issue and many pages too for your £3.75.

Brit 15

Bit surprised to see Roxby Town featured as it's only just been in BRM

At the risk of being a little controversial, having seen both articles and the layout all together at Cleethorpes on Saturday, I do think RM made the better job of presenting it... In particular the RM photos did (to my eyes) give a more accurate/honest representation of the colour balance of the layout...

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Comment

Dennis Lovett from Bachmann suggests some people should do some modelling :O instead of relying on RTR manufacturers :locomotive:

I think Dennis' comment piece may get some reaction

I'm a little surprised that it hasn't provoked any reaction (unless I've missed it somewhere else). I think he's right though. Interesting and spot on move from the RM elves to include articles on converting an RTR brake van to a Cambrian model and renaming/renumbering an RTR loco.

Ralph

Lambton58

Bit surprised to see Roxby Town featured as it's only just been in BRM; I always liked it as Stapleforth Mainline and although I can appreciate the changes made I wonder on the value of two mags featuring a "made-over" layout in favour of a new build...on which note they include yet another revamp in the form of Hornby Central; is this going to be a recurring theme, a bit like Changing Rooms for railway modellers...?!

In BRM there was a nice side panel about buying a second hand layout which may prove useful for someone, but on the whole I'm not too fussed about reading how someone's bought a layout. I was just disappointed because I thought it was going to be a North Lincs based layout (one of my railway areas :) ) - never mind, each to their own I suppose but it is like threads on forums when people list stock they've just bought!

Otherwise not a bad issue at all - my copy's currently in the next box as the signaller there is considering 00 in the garden and I thought the garden based article would interest him!

I'm a little surprised that it hasn't provoked any reaction (unless I've missed it somewhere else). I think he's right though. Interesting and spot on move from the RM elves to include articles on converting an RTR brake van to a Cambrian model and renaming/renumbering an RTR loco.

Ralph

Lambton58

What I think is most odd, actually, is that this is a manufacturer which, so far as I am aware, resists calls for models to be issued without names and numbers on them, to facilitate precisely what he describes!

There is also the small matter of warranties, which go out of the window the moment you do any 'modelling' on something which may have cost a significant sum of money.

• RMweb Premium

On another matter, anyone rushing to buy the FlyingScotsman clock advertised on p69a (2 from the back)? Now that's what I call modelling ...... :no:

Archived