Farish Blue Pullman

TomE

Very smart it looks too. Interesting that they have chosen to provide NEM sockets at the ends of the power cabs. I wonder if that means they will make the later WR version as the couplings could be used for multiple working. The only other pic I have seen of a BP coupled to something is Western piloting one over the south Devon banks on its way to Plymouth. Odd as would have thought with 2 power cars the 6-car set would have had an adequate power-to-weight ratio to make it over the banks unaided.

Very smart it looks too. Interesting that they have chosen to provide NEM sockets at the ends of the power cabs. I wonder if that means they will make the later WR version as the couplings could be used for multiple working. The only other pic I have seen of a BP coupled to something is Western piloting one over the south Devon banks on its way to Plymouth. Odd as would have thought with 2 power cars the 6-car set would have had an adequate power-to-weight ratio to make it over the banks unaided.

I had to download and then brighten the picture to see the NEM socket, but yes interesting, especially as it says "a close coupling mechanism with NEM couplings (except powered bogies)." Given that I can see what appears to be daylight through one of the rear windows of the powered car (although that could be a reflection), it would seem to me the powered bogie is the one at the front end of the powered cab. If so the copy of the announcement doesn't seem to match the picture.

It looks very nice.

Matt

Given the need to sell quite a number of these into a comparatively small (though growing) market I can't see them NOT putting a full interior behind windows where a lack of one is totally obvious. If it only drives the outer end of each power car it explains why both appear to be powered.

It looks the business. Even though the prototype doesn't appeal to me (and never has) I wish them well with it.

Les

• RMweb Gold

Possibly had an engine out. I think they were considered for 'The Golden Hind' but partially (if not totally) rejected because of potential problems on the banks west of Newton.

Possibly had an engine out. I think they were considered for 'The Golden Hind' but partially (if not totally) rejected because of potential problems on the banks west of Newton.

Possibly, although the caption in the book states that it "was not trusted" on its own over the banks. This suggests it was planned rather than some sort of rescue.

I had to download and then brighten the picture to see the NEM socket, but yes interesting, especially as it says "a close coupling mechanism with NEM couplings (except powered bogies)." Given that I can see what appears to be daylight through one of the rear windows of the powered car (although that could be a reflection), it would seem to me the powered bogie is the one at the front end of the powered cab. If so the copy of the announcement doesn't seem to match the picture.

You can have a NEM socket without a close coupling mechanism (i.e. bogie mounted) which is probably what is on display there.

You can have a NEM socket without a close coupling mechanism (i.e. bogie mounted) which is probably what is on display there.

I get it. Poor copy writing. The paranthetical "(except powered bogies)" should have been placed after the word "mechanism" to properly convey what was meant.

Matt

• 1 month later...

I am drooling over a Youtube video of the OO version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWa0_NArMg

which is also linked to in the tread on this board discussing Bachmann's OO version.

The version without the full yellow end treatment is gorgeous. The full yellow ends on the other version make it look like it is wearing a Mexican wrestling mask and is not to my taste. That said, sometimes a livery that looks awful in one scale looks a lot nicer in a different scale, and perhaps that will be the case in this instance.

I am really looking forward to seeing painted examples of these sets in N gauge. This is the first "loco" ever that I have been excited enough about to pre-order (the version without the yellow ends of course!) and I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Matt

As Ness Street is my doing, I thought I'd best explain. My site's server is not too good at serving up video, but since my ISP supplies it for free I'm not in a position to moan much. The video plays very well in Firefox if you click the "Download Pullman video" link. If you are using Internet Explorer you need to right click the link and select "save target as". If you have Quicktime installed clicking on the picture should start things off. Apologies to iPad users, despite my best efforts (and a long and interesting journey into HTML5 video and codec incompatibilites) I can't post a compatible version. Again, this is due to the server's limitations.

regards

Julian Thornhill

Julian, I love your website and want to thank you for posting all the pictures. They are fantastic. As for getting the video to play I was able to see it perfectly well when I tried on my computer at home. The computer at my office (which I was using when I wrote post #11), on the other hand, has limitations.

Matt

Thanks for the kind words. If you go to http://www.ness-st.co.uk/N-gauge-catalogues.html you can see my little project to record a bit of the history of British N.

It was the devil of a job to photograph the Pullman. It spent most of the day going round at speed, and the lighting was quite poor. Only at the end of the day did I manage to persuade the Farish folk to slow it down. I've got a memory card full of dud pictures! The pictures don't do the model justice, it really is a fine creation. When you look back at the old catalogues you can really appreciate what a fine job Bachmann and Dapol have done to fundamentally change the quality of British N in recent years.

Regards

Julian Thornhill

Archived