NCE Powercab- Screen Goes Blank

Hello again. A new powercab issue today.

It started doing this last week, but the power cord (flat 6 way straight thru) had the securing clip missing, so I assumed it was that and replaced the cord with a new one.

Was fine at Taunton for 6 hours, but starts by loading up (sometimes) normally, but then after a few minutes this happens:

post-9516-0-73494700-1336906864.jpg

Then, when you un plug it to re-set the handset, this happens

post-9516-0-58993300-1336906951.jpg

It will stay like this for hours sometimes, then at other times come back on. This is annoying me now as I am trying to sort my loco fleet! I have checked elsewhere and suggestions include a dodgy eeprom, a dodgy solder joint in the handset and all seem to suggest the handset needs to go back to NCE. Any ideas?

We have the NCE system on our club layout (with 5amp power supply - I think that is Powercab Pro). When running for extended periods of time, occasionally the system goes doolally. A power supply reset usually fixes it. The other issue when multiple cabs are in use is that each cab must have a separate ID otherwise things don't work. When running multiple cabs, the curly cable must be used. I have noticed that when running on my test track, only one of the two jack inputs works. I get a blank screen with one, but the other works fine. Whether this is because I have a defect or whether this is a system thing I don't know.

I will be interested to see what NCE have to say.

John

Thanks, just tried it with nothing on, no change. Have emailed NCE, will see what they say.

How old is the PowerCab? Have you tried contacting the retailer who supplied it?

I have noticed that when running on my test track, only one of the two jack inputs works. I get a blank screen with one, but the other works fine. Whether this is because I have a defect or whether this is a system thing I don't know.

I will be interested to see what NCE have to say.

John

But is the system you use on your test track a PowerCab or PowerPro?

Powercab is 2 years old, bought from you originally but I got it nearly new and registered it, hence contacting NCE. It has worked flawlessly until this week, not been dropped or anything and no changes have been made to the system. Have checked the EEPRom chip inside, not loose. I only did this once, earthed myself with power removed and wearing nitrile gloves. Reset once after that then stopped working again.

The PowerCab is designed to work from one side of the panel only. This provides power to the unit, which is the command station. Once the PowerCab is operative the other socket can be used for an additional handset or USB interface.

Yes John, thanks for that. I actually got my manual out and there it was, on the first page - PowerCab (flat cable) only works from the LH socket, use the other socket for slave cabs (curly cable) or whatever. You know how it is with guys and instructions - I hadn't broken it yet.

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

Archived