DCC Steam Locomotive Sound

Chris Turnbull

Not recording engines from the lineside is not ideal seeing as that is what WE hear. Here goes......Loco propelling a wagon with your sound equipment on board or even..........

post-6680-0-73415100-1337183459.jpg

Yep, tongue firmly in cheek.

Coachman,

Ha ha. It's too good a joke to do anything but laugh. Well done.

Paul

• RMweb Gold
Clearly there is a long way to go with sound chips.

It's not only the decoders - I don't think the small speakers do any sound produced by these chips justice.

As for locos puffing to a halt, this occurs on the soundtrack of Cowboy movies every time. Were the American 4-4-0's like this. The only place I heard locos puff almost to a stand was in Oldham Central station upgrade out of Central tunnel.

Or a couple of stations in the Welsh valleys.

So, I'll continue to do my best with the limited technology at my disposal, since without experiment, no boundaries will be pushed and little progress will be made.

Hear hear :good: :good:

Clearly there is a long way to go with sound chips.

Regards

Chris Turnbull

Had this been posted 4 years ago when sound chips were in their infancy, I would agree wholeheartedly. Nowadays I would agree half heartedly.

Remember that this is a hobby with limited commercial impact using technology that has been made redundant and therefore viably cheap to use in this limited market.

There is a heap of new technology using Blue Tooth and other digital wireless technology that will be with us in the space of time.

Two things though. I agree with Paulie that sound that approximates is better than no sound and that sound is subjective and entertaining in equal measure.

If you like it, it adds immeasurably to the enjoyment of the hobby and if you don't then you save a packet by not buying it. As always it is your choice but if you wait for things to get better you will miss a lot of fun now.

The main problem I have with DCC Steam Sound is the exhaust noise as a whole, rather than the specifics of cut off, regulator etc.

As I understand it, DCC steam chips are programmed with seperate 'chuff' wav files which are played in a sequence with increasing speed. In my opinion, this is perfectly adequate for lower speeds, but once anything over a scale 20mph or so is reached the 'chuffs' are played with an increased frequency - sounding less and less authentic the higher the speed.

What is needed is a set or several of 'high speed chuff loops' that kick in about the 20mph mark and increase in increments from this point. The purr of a locomotive at high speed is a completely different sound to four chuffs played quickly - as can be seen in these two example clips.

The problem is that, in real life, the sound isn't 'looping' and this is unachieveable in DCC soundchips - but a lot can be done to reduce the effect as suggested above.

Dave

Dave,

Did you hear anything at the show over the weekend to modify your views expressed here earlier?

If so, it would be nice if you will post a re-appraisal now that you have experienced it first hand rather than R-T-R offerings and You Tube demos.

Kind regards,

Paul

I watch a lot of DVD's on steam, both from the real era and today preserved locos. But much as I would dearly love to have a 4mm 'Britannia' pounding out of Greenfield as they do on the wide screen, my pal's sound-fitted North American 7mm locos down the road reminds me to stay clear. The sound just plain gets on my nerves......air pumps, firemans shovel hitting the firehole, injectors going on, blowing off, the bell, those dreaded chime whistles and then the cyclic chuffing. Now if you prefer any sound effect to that of an electric motor, then fine.

For over 60 years my imagination has most successfully filled in the blank spaces where smoke, steam and sound should be.The current toytown sound offerings totally destroy that image.

Archived