Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A change is as good as a rest.....

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I like it .Especially the curved platform. Do you have any pics of the other end of the layout?

Not yet, I need to do some more scenic work first.

Watch this space.....

Looking good, I will be in touch about September 2013. I seem to be gathering together a few layouts that are new to the circuit - which is good news + a few that have appeared in the railway mags. Not sure how we are going to fit them all in!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had to put the three scenic boards up over the weekend in order to carry out some testing of the new control panel, so here are a couple of shots of the layout with the S&D buildings in place; it's the first time I've been able to do this. The unfinished scenery at the far right end as you look at the layout (behind & to the right of the cattle dock) is way too tall and the formers will be reduced in height before I add any covering.

The train in the last pic definitely won't be a regular visitor!

post-63-0-96890200-1354552998.jpg

post-63-0-15257300-1354553000.jpg

post-63-0-12732500-1354553003.jpg

post-63-0-69719300-1354553005.jpg

post-63-0-11759600-1354553188.jpg

post-63-0-80969000-1354553222.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow, what a transformation! The colouring is really effective & the trackwork in particular is convincing. One question - I can't see a mention of the size - I'm guessing each board is around 4 foot long?

Looking forward to seeing this at SWAG meeting :D

• Like 1

I like this a lot, you don't see many small passing stations on branches modelled, it's just normally the terminus!

As I was reading through your thread and looking at the photos, I thought would he get bored after a while operating this layout, as it's just a passing loop with a little station and a single siding and your just going to be running a handful of trains most of the time?

Another alternative time period is to move it forward to the present day and set it as a station on a fictional preserved steam railway and you'd be able to run a much more interesting types of trains with bigger locomotives! Sorry for the criticizium, but don't take it too seriously! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rich - the visible part of the layout is approx. 10'6 x 18" (3m x 1.5m). There are 3 scenic boards, each 3'6 x 18" and as I'm currently working in my lounge (garage is too cold and draughty this time of year) I can only work on one at a time. Track is simply Peco Code 75 with the sleeper spacing adjusted so as to get away from the "HO" look.

Sammyboy - thanks for the comments, I welcome any constructive critcism! I agree that operation is rather limited, but this layout, having interchangeable buildings, is very much an experiment and if it works, a bigger, more complex layout may follow. I will shortly start work on a set of more modern buildings to bring the layout into the BR blue era (bus shelter, portacabins etc etc) to provide another variation on the theme. I did consider the preservation era as well, there's no reason why I can't do it, but do remember that when the layout is in S&D mode, 9Fs, Bulleids, Black 5s etc can all appear on quite short trains - it's quite prototypical!

Edited by Colin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have just gone through the thread, it looks really good Colin, the last set of pics are really good. First attempt at a river? Really?

Look forward to seeing more pics.

Yes, it really is my first ever river. I used "Realistic Water" from Woodland Scenics but made the common error of putting the first layer on far too thickly - it was a milky, sticky mess for days!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work on the second board has progressed nicely (if I say so myself); risking serious domestic disharmony, I decided to take over the lounge and link two together for a quick photo session this afternoon.

In the first couple of shots, S&D stalwart 47542 mucks around with a couple of 16 tonners; the third pic shows a little bit of additional work on Board 1 (cattle dock is now weathered, I remembered to add the buffer stop and the bridge has sprouted a fairly ancient Land Rover) Back to 47542 for the fourth pic, then a few photos showing parts of Board 2 (the signal at the far end is actually intended to be a starter, the passenger station and goods sidings are all situated on Board 3, as yet very incomplete).

I've included a pic of my first stab at a ploughed field, some fairly dense woodland and also some proof that there will be a passenger service one day! I also installed some point rodding made from MSE components, just don't look TOO closely.....

The last couple of pics show the S&D ground frame and u/q signal replaced by ex-GWR infrastructure, instead of the Jinty an 8750 has charge of the pick up freight.

post-63-0-31667500-1360610680.jpg

post-63-0-44914300-1360610681.jpg

post-63-0-76803500-1360610682.jpg

post-63-0-67105400-1360610683.jpg

post-63-0-46622600-1360610684.jpg

post-63-0-16529200-1360610686.jpg

post-63-0-08058500-1360610688.jpg

post-63-0-19086100-1360610689.jpg

post-63-0-38028800-1360611213.jpg

Edited by Colin
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Colin

Very effective. I especially like the ploughed field.

Duncan

Glad you like it Duncan!

The field was a real experiment and very simple - just some corrugated card glued down, distressed a bit to make the furrows less than perfect, and covered in scenic scatters, not forgetting to leave a margin at the end where, on a real field, the plough would have turned.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Domestic disharmony ! SWMBO should be impressed. I am ,including the ploughed field.

Between you and me I think she is.....  She certainly prefers this layout to "South Pimlico".

Duncan - just for the record, my ploughed field is an irregular triangle measuring roughly 12" x 8" x 7" - all I've actually portrayed is a small corner. You wouldn't need a big layout to fit that in!

Edited by Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin

Very true, but my current layout is just a small area of a TMD. I don't think I could justify, even under Rule 1, a ploughed field.

Duncan

Hmmm, point taken!  Maybe next layout then.

• 2 weeks later...

the improved spacing on the Peco makes more of a difference than I thought possible!

Another difference which appears to have gone unnoticed (& I can't see it from the pics either) is that the Streamline 6' way has been reduced by 5mm. This gives just about the correct distance between track centres.

Hopefully this will be more appreciable from different viewing angles & especially when trains are on adjacent tracks.

The river looks good from what I can see in the pics.

I like the ploughed field too.  Moving away from urban layouts seems to have provided an opportunity to do some really different stuff.

I saw a comment above about operational interest:

We ran South Pimlico to a sequence. This provided good coordination & prevented a continual 'ad-hoc' issue where a fiddle yard became full. Far from being a constraint, it ensured a good variety of movements & running a 20-30 minute sequence was much more interesting than working things out on the fly.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 1