Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Guest jim s-w

Not sure the standard 48 sheet billboard existed in the 1970s. If they did the certainly were a different design. ISTR they were smaller and squarer and had a platform for workers to hang the adverts.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 1

Here is the almost complete chassis, brake hangars fitted, handles on the sandbox lids, balance weights on the wheels and all painted. On the prototype the fuel tank is contained between the frames and the ‘U’ shaped, round bar, sticking up either side of the chassis represents the fuel filler pipes. The tops just extend through corresponding holes in the footplate. The power leads are taped to the motor to relieve any strain in the soldered connections.

The flat plate on which the motor shaft is resting is the cab floor. A neat bit of design by Michael, the cab sits over it and therefore has no floor itself. This allows the roof to be soldered on whilst still allowing access to the cab interior for final detailing and painting.

post-6861-0-54274600-1358278937_thumb.jpg

Next up, pick ups and some serious running in before a final tidy up.

TBC

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

( Just trying to find that poster of the puppy & the little girl...)

Thanks for the into Chris, and the heights of the bank. How high will the wall be ?

Jim - having a poster's platform is one option we considered. Depending on how close the boards are to the road, Bill Poster could use ladders from the pavemrent.

What colours would the boards/ frames be ? The old photos I've seen are b/w, but the colours seem to be black frames & white boards.

• RMweb Premium

A couple of colour photos which might be of use:

1232671740_8543dff9ff_z.jpg?zz=1
Pipers Row, Wolverhampton, April 1980 by Lady Wulfrun, on Flickr

7503271806_15684ef98e_z.jpg
Crossbrook Street, Pontypridd, 1973 by Lady Wulfrun, on Flickr

Looks like most advertising was for cigarettes in those days.

Not a poster, but one of those "saw this and thought of you" moments:
8203835830_d4ca560b75_z.jpg
Tip Top Colours for your Sanitarywares by Lady Wulfrun, on Flickr

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The heights 78 LHS and 60 RHS include the wall Stu, but FYI it's around 18-20mm. The brickwork retaining walls will go down to the yellow foam 'ground' level. 

Righto.

I  think three separate boards would fit better, seeing as how the road is curved, and droping in height might look better too.

I'll supply the actual bill-boards with posters as separate items, so you should be able to change them around, plus back-date them when you run an earlier era.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, it's coming along.

Chris, yeah, it's 108:1. It's extra tall because it's the 'loadhauler plus. This has an extra, non reduction, section allowing a bit more flexibility in positioning and I've used it to push the motor up and forward. Not really needed for this kit, I just had one in and I can make use of the positioning it's created.

• Like 1

Another gratuitous bus shot, although not as good as the others as the poster is partially obscured:

http://midlandred.net/pix/ll/6434/01.shtml

Judging from the registration, livery and condition of the bus, it's early 70's. Cigarette advertising definitely seems to be the order of the day.

Unless I'm mistaken, also worth noting is what appears to be broken glass embedded into the top of the brick wall as an anti-intruder measure.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's remarkable!! Less than the cost of that Wills 'grotty sheds' kit I mentioned before - & which I still haven't finished!!

I really must extract the digit & try to scratchbuild a building - if I could get one half as good (even if it took twice the time!) as your 'shed' I'd be more than happy!

K

K,

I did a step by step guide to making a building using mounting board and Plastikard, it's in the Scenery, Structures & Transport forum although if you click on my name and look for my content, you should be able to find it. None of it is too complex, it's just a case of measuring up, cutting and glueing things really. As Jim S-W once put it, buildings are only a series of boxes :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I need to learn how to add the pub to the thread title.

Imagine a pub. built to serve the canal but then the railway came, higher than the canal with the road and the canal rebuilt.  The pub is lower than the new road.

Basic drawing:  more like one of the spam masters than old gringos

post-8894-0-13137500-1358287331_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I need to learn how to add the pub to the thread title.

Go to post #1, click Edit, then use Full Editor - you can then change the title

Basic drawing:  more like one of the spam masters than old gringos

Can't be one of spam's - it isn't in marker pen on an old chip wrapper
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-8894-0-18504300-1358288363_thumb.jpgpost-8894-0-57241200-1358287817_thumb.jpg

using a OLAF cutter on the back of the facia brick I made grooves either side of the windows edge. Cutting top and bottom of the widow to height and then cutting down the centre of the window top to bottom open the window like cupboard doors. The brick plastic wraps around the window edge.