Will this kill me?

Was looking at one of the electronic fly swatters that everyone seems keen on using as static grass aplicators and initially decided that a 9v battery and leads would do a similar job,

then found myself thinking, my gaugemaster controler is essentially a variable DC supply, one lead to the tea strainer, the other to track, surely that would work?

so, will it work?

will it injure / kill me?

if I can be suitably convinced that the answer to the latter is 'no' I will try and discover the answer to the former :D

I'm not sure I understand your first sentence. A 9V battery may suffice to power a fly swatter, but there's more to it than a battery and leads. The extra ingredient is a component that takes the 9V and converts it to around 10-15000V. Unless you have that it won't work as a static grassing machine!

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I'd want the electronics of my controller anywhere near the things that go on in the static grass process.

There have been several posts recently suggesting connecting the earth lead of static grass devices to the track, I would advise against this, you don't want 10,000 volts coursing throiugh your track, wiring and controller/DCC base station. Also, if you use DCC, please remove your locos and anything else with decoders/lighting from the layour if possible, decoders and bolts of lightning don't mix.

Martin

Archived