Tillton Station - Modern Era N Gauge

Hi Oli

Thought i'd check out what you've been doing. I like the evolution of the layout. It pays to do a bit of design then leaving it for a day or two before coming back and looking at it again. That way you can pick up any areas that don't look right or flow well. I did the same on my plan and i settled on mine after about 7 or 8 re-works.

As it's an end to end layout I labelled each track ending and matched up to the industry or use around each one. I could then work through some movements to ensure that the layout was going to offer some interest in the long term.

The design is coming along well. Keep up the good work.

Hi Oli

Thought i'd check out what you've been doing. I like the evolution of the layout. It pays to do a bit of design then leaving it for a day or two before coming back and looking at it again. That way you can pick up any areas that don't look right or flow well. I did the same on my plan and i settled on mine after about 7 or 8 re-works.

As it's an end to end layout I labelled each track ending and matched up to the industry or use around each one. I could then work through some movements to ensure that the layout was going to offer some interest in the long term.

The design is coming along well. Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much mate,

I know I said it earlier but I just love your scratch-building lol! Sooooo good! And your woodwork skills for that matter, you have a brilliant set up.

Yes think I have finally settled on an actual track plan but still working on the scenic's of the layout. See this thread here: http://www.rmweb.co....t/page__st__125 (last post has the latest scenic ideas)

Haven't seen your track plan? Is it on your layout thread, if so I must have missed it lol! :D

Moving in the next few weeks so after that's all out the way going to wire up and ballast my practice plank they once I'm happy start laying some track on the actual layout - dun dun dun!!! lol

Thanks again, Oli

EDIT: Just thought, since you are very good at scratch-building wondered if you could offer me any tips? I have a current thread going on here: (http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1) and if you look on the previous page on this thread you will read about what I am planning to build - a multi-storey car park.... Thanks, Oli

Thanks very much mate,

I know I said it earlier but I just love your scratch-building lol! Sooooo good! And your woodwork skills for that matter, you have a brilliant set up.

Yes think I have finally settled on an actual track plan but still working on the scenic's of the layout. See this thread here: http://www.rmweb.co....t/page__st__125 (last post has the latest scenic ideas)

Haven't seen your track plan? Is it on your layout thread, if so I must have missed it lol! :D

Moving in the next few weeks so after that's all out the way going to wire up and ballast my practice plank they once I'm happy start laying some track on the actual layout - dun dun dun!!! lol

Thanks again, Oli

Oli

The plan is on the first page of my post. I would agree with some of the comments that less is more when it comes to track. When I started out I had tried to cram as much on the layout as possible but by continually reviewing it you can thin it out.

Are you running your layout DC or DCC? Mine is DCC and the wiring was my least favourite thing. This site has lots of really good information and tips, so do lots of reading and referencing from other peoples posts. It helps you see what can go wrong and how to avoid it.

Cheers

Mark

Oli

The plan is on the first page of my post. I would agree with some of the comments that less is more when it comes to track. When I started out I had tried to cram as much on the layout as possible but by continually reviewing it you can thin it out.

Are you running your layout DC or DCC? Mine is DCC and the wiring was my least favourite thing. This site has lots of really good information and tips, so do lots of reading and referencing from other peoples posts. It helps you see what can go wrong and how to avoid it.

Cheers

Mark

Oh must have flown straight passed the plan... :/ Will check it out now though.

Yes I was tempted to have a TMD and possibly some refuelling points meaning even more sidings but in the end I was persuaded just to have the station which now leaves me more room to do some scenic stuff!

My layout will be DC, running off a Morley Vesta controller probably, need to sell some stuff to fund this lol!

Cheers, Oli

Archived