0-6-2T 'Hercules'

• RMweb Premium

This is a bit of a long shot, but at our club there is a large photo of said engine. It looks like a dean pannier tank that has had the coal bunker removed, the frame extended and a crane (yes crane) attached to the extended frame. The jib sits over the the cab when not in use.

This is my project which I intend to build but I can only find this one photo. I have looked in the GWR archive to no avail. I wondered if anyone knows where I may be able to find further photos and info about this loco?

Hi 7013,

What you want is access to is Vol 2 of Great Western Engines by Russell (OPC)(Or the later combined volume.)

Pictures of Hercules and sister engine Cyclops commencing at page 100, as well as a dimensioned weight diagram.

Gordon A

Bristol

There are several photos and a drawing in Russell's Pictorial History of GW Engines, vol 2. Also shown is a photo and drawing of Cyclops which, with Steropes, were its two predecessors. All are 0-6-4T and were derived from 850 class panniers*.

Nick

* edit: actually, the early pair were fitted with panniers as part of the conversion to crane tanks in 1901, well before the GWR started rebuilding saddle tanks as panniers.

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen I am in awe of your knowledge and help, thank you one and all. I know the title should read 0-6-4T but it does not want to edit.

Archived