Bachmann Brassworks

Andrew P

Nice pics,

Pity the range is now discontinued, I owned several a few years back when I was heavily involved in 7mmFS.

There are still a few unsold items knocking around in the retailers, (Tower Models etc)

Very nice. As above, I do wish you 7mm folk would stop tempting us, I barely have enough room for my 4mm stuff.

Good to see an S&DJR Armstrong. The weathering suggests you're aiming for a late date. I'm building a 4mm 4F and for a long time I was intending to number it 44558 but then I started looking more closely at some photos of it. Feel free to ignore the following and dismiss me as something dangerously close to a rivet counter, but in the end I decided that mine could be any of the others except 44558. It would appear that sometime between June 1958 and June 1960 it went in for an overhaul and emerged with the late crest on the tender and without the splasher beading on the front and middle splashers. As far as I can tell, it was the only Armstrong that lost its beading. Also, whilst they are seen on some other 4F tenders on the S&D, I don't recall seeing any of the Armstrongs with the high tank vents (presumably indicating they were fitted with water scoops?).

Nick

Very nice. As above, I do wish you 7mm folk would stop tempting us, I barely have enough room for my 4mm stuff.

Good to see an S&DJR Armstrong. The weathering suggests you're aiming for a late date. I'm building a 4mm 4F and for a long time I was intending to number it 44558 but then I started looking more closely at some photos of it. Feel free to ignore the following and dismiss me as something dangerously close to a rivet counter, but in the end I decided that mine could be any of the others except 44558. It would appear that sometime between June 1958 and June 1960 it went in for an overhaul and emerged with the late crest on the tender and without the splasher beading on the front and middle splashers. As far as I can tell, it was the only Armstrong that lost its beading. Also, whilst they are seen on some other 4F tenders on the S&D, I don't recall seeing any of the Armstrongs with the high tank vents (presumably indicating they were fitted with water scoops?).

Nick

Thanks Nick, I am NOT A RIVETT COUNTER but I do take your point, if you know about these things it would bug you, so, I will have to pretend I have't read this and just carry on. Also I don't think 558 was right hand drive?

Cheers Steve and David

Also Nick I have Loch Leven in OO 8 ft x 20 inches down one side of my den and Trebudoc Goods Yard in O Gauge 8ft 9 inches x 20 inches down the other side of my 9 ft x 7 ft room, PLUS I have either Deesdale Road or Glen Roy standing up in the end between them! See layouts sections ha ha.

Lovely locos. I've often wondered what happened to the tooling. There must have been a heavy investment at some stage. Did they get bought out by another group?

Wish they would do some re runs, I am sure they would still sell, but thats like Heljan, NO MORE 37,s 47,s etc MAD OR WOT?

I've got some Bachmann and Tower coaches (they are identical - I've checked) and a friend of mine is selling a couple Heljan 47s. I'm thinking of buying one but I'm not sure the £300 asking price is good or not?

I love the brass finish of the Bachmann stuff, I almost don't want to paint them. I was even thinking of making a small Brass Branch Line when I get a loft to play in.

I've got some Bachmann and Tower coaches (they are identical - I've checked) and a friend of mine is selling a couple Heljan 47s. I'm thinking of buying one but I'm not sure the £300 asking price is good or not?

I love the brass finish of the Bachmann stuff, I almost don't want to paint them. I was even thinking of making a small Brass Branch Line when I get a loft to play in.

Hi Mate one of our club members has just paid £350 for a green Heljan 37, so at £400 its a bargin.

Lovely locos. I've often wondered what happened to the tooling. There must have been a heavy investment at some stage. Did they get bought out by another group?

Bachmann brassworks, Tower & Finescalebrass are/were manufactured by Sang Cheng

If you have deep pockets you may tempt Tower to sell you his last remaining pannier, as for the rest no chance the moulds were broken up long and the cad drawings destroyed. The factory closes next year after the grange is made, I have created a Finescalebrass section in manufacturers area to update model availability but there will be no re-runs from Sang Cheng or anyone else. End of an era guys, to put it into perspective 4MT's which were selling for £800 fully finished a couple of years ago try £1200 now if you can find one.

John

FSB UK

Weathering is always to ones own personal taste. If your happy with it dont change it. I liked the original version to but then I do like dirty locos in the last days of steam.

The re done version is a great job to.

Just to add to your confusion, Andrew, I also rather liked the original version. However, I have to say that I've never seen a photo of any of the Somerset & Dorset 4Fs in such a state unless stored out of use at the end of its life. In contrast, the BR standard 4s and 5s always looked much more uncared for. The new version is much closer to their normal state in later years and looks pretty good to me. There's only one thing that looks wrong to me; the large white patch on the firebox. I've not seen anything like that on any S&D engine. The 4Fs, 7Fs and 2Ps often had very narrow vertical strips of white deposits coming down from the two inspection covers on the shoulders of the firebox, but little else. Sometimes there would also be a little white around the ejector.

Nick

Just to add to your confusion, Andrew, I also rather liked the original version. However, I have to say that I've never seen a photo of any of the Somerset & Dorset 4Fs in such a state unless stored out of use at the end of its life. In contrast, the BR standard 4s and 5s always looked much more uncared for. The new version is much closer to their normal state in later years and looks pretty good to me. There's only one thing that looks wrong to me; the large white patch on the firebox. I've not seen anything like that on any S&D engine. The 4Fs, 7Fs and 2Ps often had very narrow vertical strips of white deposits coming down from the two inspection covers on the shoulders of the firebox, but little else. Sometimes there would also be a little white around the ejector.

Nick

Thanks for that Nick, I will re work the RE WORK and change the lime stain from a few pictures, thanks again Nick and keep looking for more updates.

Having got rid of that horrible WHITE BLOB I have had another go, as this is my first atempts with an Air Brush it is trial and error, also I keep seeing different photos of 4F in different condictions. I still think I need to put in some rust streaks from the hand rail knobs etc.

post-9335-0-33284900-1339163736_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09122100-1339163757_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-11208600-1339163780_thumb.jpg

Archived