Great service from Hornby

• RMweb Premium

In these days where we come to expect good service as a matter of course I cannot praise Hornby enough for the service I have just received. At our club I was using my Elite, I had put a loco on the programming track to adjust some CVs. When I put the loco on the normal track..nothing. no movement no response.

In my panic and to my shame when I got home I typed a letter to Hornby and packed my Elite off to them. Meanwhile in the calmness of my workshop I fiddled about with the loco and found that I must have done something that had defaulted the decoder to 3, as when I tested it at home and read the CV it was my messing about that had caused the problem and in fact there was nothing wrong with the Elite or the loco.

I must confess had I sat down at the club and gone through the potential problems logically I would not have sent it off.

I sent the controller off on Wednesday afternoon and received it back today (Friday) Hornby had not only checked it through, they had installed firmware 1:41 and sent it back straight away, and to top it all no charge.

Thank you Hornby for service that is excellent despite my embarrassing knee jerk reaction.

The decoder in the loco was a basic Bachmann decoder which the CVs I was trying to change could not be accessed on this decoder....time for a change.

I can also praise Hornby for there after sales service. When I first started in DCC, I bought an Elite, I was in Germany at the time and it was the only dcc controller I had. I was in the middle of installing decoders into my Son's Thomas the Tank etc. tried to up grade to the latest firmware at the time on Windows 7. Not that experienced in dcc with Hornby the controller froze, totally stumped! Contacted Hornby in the UK via email about my dilema. Got a reply within hours from a very nice chap who explained that the interface does not work on windows 7 but an earlier version (must be win 95!) Yes I felt a fool for not reading the manual correctly!! Did not have access to a computer with windows 95! After another emai, posted back to the UK Hornby service department addressed to the chap I was corresponding with. Got it back within 5 days!! All with the latest update and no charge either! Excellent!!

Archived