Fowler 4f 0-6-0

Hi Lad's, Wonder if anyone can help me ? l need a number for my 4f, l have made it a right hand drive, and need a number in the 43XXX batch, with a 3,500 gallon tender (without the coal rail's on the top) ?

Hi George,

When you say a 3500 gallon tender without coal rails, I assume you mean a Fowler straight sided type? Most of the Johnson type used on 4Fs were also 3,500 gallon but had coal rails. Some of the Fowler type also had coal rails. Few of the MR built 4Fs had Fowler tenders at nationalisation, but most eventually acquired them during BR days, so you'll need to decide on a date before checking dated photos.

You could also go for one of the Somerset & Dorset "Armstrongs" (44557-61) which were also of the MR type, though their numbers were out of sequence because they were not acquired by the LMS until 1930. These got their Fowler tenders between 1955-8, though some of those had coal rails...

Nick

ps. Do you need to limit yourself to 43XXX numbers? The highest numbered MR built was (4)4026 and the LMS built 4Fs with right hand drive up to 1926 numbered (4)4027- (4)4311.

ps. Do you need to limit yourself to 43XXX numbers? The highest numbered MR built was (4)4026 and the LMS built 4Fs with right hand drive up to 1926 numbered (4)4027- (4)4311.

Sorry Buffalo but I must go into Pedant mode. The first LH drive 4F was 4207 but with another batch of just ten numbered 4302-4311 which were built as RH drive (plus the ex S&DJR locos of course). Another consideration is that the splashers were changed from beaded to plain at some time in Midland days, I suspect with the last twenty Midland engines 4007-4026 as they were on a separate order number but I have yet to confirm this. I believe many of the Fowler tenders which replaced the Johnson type (which were already second-hand anyway) on Midland and early LMS 4Fs were from withdrawn 7F 0-8-0s.

Pedant mode off (for now).

Sorry Buffalo but I must go into Pedant mode..

Quite right, Bruce. I missed them in a hasty edit. 4207-301 built at Derby were indeed LHD, 4302-11 being an earlier lot number built at Crewe which ended up with later running numbers. Essery & Jenkinson put it down to rebuilding work at Crewe slowing their output. They also say that it was the last fifteen Midland engines (4012-26) that were build without the splasher beading and with simplified cab side beading. Of course, there is also the slight problem that some of the earlier Midland engines lost their splasher beading at some point during their lives. I was recently caught out by this when I discovered that 44558 lost its beading sometime between June 1958 and June 1960.

Nick

• 4 years later...

Is it actually possible to buy a Bachmann 4F tender without the locomotive? My plan was to scroll about on e-bay for a dead loco or two but the models are simply too new at the moment and consequently only expensive 'runners' are on offer. Basically I'm after a few to attach to some freelance locomotives but I would rather avoid brass and 3D printed kits if possible. I'm after a Bachmann 4F type without the coal grill, as I wish to add Brassmasters's detailing etch in order to alter them into the old LMS design with the solid bulkhead but if anyone is able to recommend some other ( up to scratch ) tenders that would do just as well that would be great to know about as an alternative.

Regards Steve

Is it actually possible to buy a Bachmann 4F tender without the locomotive? My plan was to scroll about on e-bay for a dead loco or two but the models are simply too new at the moment and consequently only expensive 'runners' are on offer. ....

Looks like you've answered your own question there!

Yeah I think I have, It just would be nice if the main companies were to sell tenders and loco shells as separate items  ;) There is a Mainline one going cheap at the mo and the tooling does look ok so i'll give that a go for now. The Brassmaster tenders do look great of course but i'de rather try making a few disposable truck kits before I retry my hand at more ambitious kits again. Anyway ta.  

Archived