There's been another addition to my TR 1968 running fleet - No 1 Talyllyn

9444688683_3dbc1ae893_c.jpg
DSC01007 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

9447461356_80862c27e9_c.jpg
DSC01018 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

9447457734_c9473ba719_c.jpg
DSC01021 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

More photos and build details on my NGRMonline workbench topic

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6290-o-165-talyllyn-workbench-no-1-talyllyn/page-13&do=findComment&comment=156221

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

Here's a video demonstrating the custom sound file in No 1 Talyllyn compiled by Paul Chetter. He's reworked his J94 file to give a more "narrow gauge" sound, substituted a prototypical GWR whistle, and best of all some "right away" calls from the fireman.

Apologies for the poor video quality from a cheap camera, and the occasional wrong button pressing!

And another one shuffling up and down a yard length of track, showing the excellent slow motor control achievable with the Zimo MX648 decoder

There are also another couple of videos on Youtube of my previous sound fitted model (Dolgoch), again using a Paul Chetter sound file

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYz4NoITRuNnOn0OE7BQew

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...

I think you've made a cracking job of this and the other locos in your stud.  'Bodger' indeed!  You do realise that the actual Bodgers were/are craftsmen who make chairs in the Buckinghamshire woods?  You are one too.

BTW, what did you do with the Fireless body shell?  I've got one of these which I have wondered about 'anglicizing' (paint, cab etc.) but don't particularly want to attack the factory finish.  If you've still got it, would you part with it?

Unfortunately I cut the fireless body up to make the lower boiler section of Dolgoch, otherwise I'd  let you have it - sorry!

I managed to purchase the Wrightlines Tattoo kit on ebay, so Edward Thomas will be started some time in the new year. I've also bought a Mercian Corris Falcon kit to make Sir Haydn, when I've drawn up the TR cab and bunkers and got someone to etch them for me. The rebuilt No 3 is slightly out of my modelling period, but what the heck -  I fancy a TR loco with a chime whistle and can't fit DCC sound in Douglas!

Cheers

Dave

Here's a video demonstrating the custom sound file in No 1 Talyllyn compiled by Paul Chetter. He's reworked his J94 file to give a more "narrow gauge" sound, substituted a prototypical GWR whistle, and best of all some "right away" calls from the fireman.

Apologies for the poor video quality from a cheap camera, and the occasional wrong button pressing!

And another one shuffling up and down a yard length of track, showing the excellent slow motor control achievable with the Zimo MX648 decoder

There are also another couple of videos on Youtube of my previous sound fitted model (Dolgoch), again using a Paul Chetter sound file

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYz4NoITRuNnOn0OE7BQew

Cheers

Dave

Are the wood pigeons on the sound chip or outside your house?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm part-way through making a model of No 3 Sir Haydn, as rebuilt in 1968.

13908554460_3e3df88c27_z.jpgDSCF8584 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

It utilises a Mercian Models Corris Falcon klt as a base, but with some considerable modifications.

The chassis has a compensated front axle using High Level hornblocks and the driving wheels are those supplied with the Branchlines chassis kit for a Peco Talyllyn. They have had the crankpin throw reduced, The pony truck has a wire vertical and side control spring.

14455319810_9062a02202_z.jpgDSCF8711 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

The chassis has been run-in prior to fitting a DCC sound decoder and the photo below shows the body parts used from the Mercian kit.

14476721830_6b4ea2d7e3_z.jpgDSCF8712 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

After running a tape measure over the real thing at the Engine House at Highley I commissioned etches for the TR cab and bunkers from Narrow Planet.

These are of excellent quality and fitted with very little "fettling".

15703038426_309775174c_z.jpgDSCF8807 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

I'm currently trial-fitting the boiler mountings and cab back.

15589105707_8488c2d37f_z.jpgDSCF8818 by talyllyn1, on Flickr

This is the first time I've built an all-etched loco, and I'm finding it very challenging and rewarding.

Full build details are here:-

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10829-0-165-tr-no-3-sir-haydn/

Cheers

Dave

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Dave, thank you for this thread. It was a delight to read, and it provided the "kick" to start over with my S&D Barclay kit. I had bought it several years ago for a 0 12 project, but wasn't able to source a decent chassis. Now it will be finally built, in a slightly wider gauge.

Michael

Archived