Concrete street lamps

I am looking for pictures of the old concrete street lamps that they had on the Housing estate i lived on In the potteries . The Council estates were Blurton and Newstead and they had a certain kind of street lamp . I am trying to recreate a part of the the street i lived on and i cannot for the life of me remember what they looked like . Also if you can identify them does anyone make a model similar that i can bash to make some :-) ??

Thanks martin

If you go to the Francis Frith website, they have a photo taken in 1955 of Church Road, Blurton, with a concrete lamp-post in the foreground, which may be what you are after.

http://www.francisfr...c1955_b746008x/

Thanks Nick I reckon that could be the one , but it seems to me that they had arms at the top , I may be wrong , been a looooong time :-) Does anyone have a OO model that is like that ??

Martin

• 3 months later...

I have begun a similar project.

My son has set the first phase of his model railway in the early-mid 1970s.

Being brought up in the 70s; many of the old Concrete columns from 50s/60s were still around; local authorities were still installing the newer Stanton & Stavely lamp posts well into the mid 1980s.

If you type in "Stanton 8F" into google; I managed to find a few manufacturers PDFs complete with measurements which can be scaled down.

As for making the lamp posts, I have looked at the Plastistruct stuff (they do Hexagonal poles- very similar to the concrete columns) but it poses a problem if you want the lamps to work as there is no way to install wiring in them. (They aren't hollow)

The alternative plan was to make a small mould and make the columns using clay, reinforced using plastistruct tube which also solves the wiring issue too.

Has anyone else tackled this kind of thing yet?

Archived