'Townstreet' GWR Coal Stage kit - anyone built one..?

Hi folks,

As part of a side project / diorama to get stuck into until I have enough room for a decent layout, I want to build a Western Region loco depot and have a couple of questions about the Townstreet kit...

- on the front wall of the kit, is the wooden shelter over the coal hole an integral part of the casting or is it a seperate part?

- if it is integral to the front wall, is it possible / easy to cut into the casting and remove it without damaging the rest of the wall?

Reason I ask is from photos I've seen of the finished kit the side walls of the shelter look a bit overthick, so I reckon a replacement knocked up from plasticard would improve the appearence somewhat... having had a good look at the real thing at Didcot over the weekend I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks in advance ;)

Apologies for my ignorance, Nidge but as an ECML man, I'm not that familiar with GW buildings. If you mean this one, then yes I built one about 8 years ago. I'm happy to photograph any parts you want clarification on. The difficulty is trying to recall how may parts were involved. I've never used it, but built it as 'occupational therapy' whilst I was laid up from work.

post-6950-0-00314300-1339084910_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your swift reply Gordon, but I'm referring to the kit that looks very similar to this...!

post-7638-0-47426100-1339085189_thumb.jpg

I do like the look of yours though, and it does bear a resemblance to one or two structures inherited by the GWR in outlying areas. Be interested to hear how the construction of it went too... ;)

No problem Nidge. It was one of my first kit builds and photographs are so unforgiving. Building Townstreet kits is no real problem. You just have to take your time and the key is very gentle sanding to create flat surfaces in joints. It took me back to filing exercises at school, so just take it slowly and carefully and you can create good looking buildings. I have no doubt that eight years later I would make a much better job of it.

• RMweb Gold

Nidge, I've just finished the goods shed kit, and it's not too difficult to cut the castings, provided you take your time, use a decent saw and take care. It is possible to remove reasonably large areas of plastercast material by using an abrasive 'drum' tool in a mini-drill as well - I removed the cast slates from the road side awning in pretty short order with one of those. Some parts don't naturally take to being made from plastercast, but the goods shed was one of their early kits, and things have probably improved a lot since then.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for my ignorance, Nidge but as an ECML man, I'm not that familiar with GW buildings. If you mean this one, then yes I built one about 8 years ago. I'm happy to photograph any parts you want clarification on. The difficulty is trying to recall how may parts were involved. I've never used it, but built it as 'occupational therapy' whilst I was laid up from work.

attachicon.gif2004_0317_112219AA.jpg

Hi Gordon, I was just looking for instructions on how to build the coaling stage that you have built, I bought mine of ebay with no instructions. I was wondering could I ask you to take a couple of pic of it from the right side and the rear. This might help me build it as it should be. The picture you posted is ideal for the front etc.

Thanks in advance

Ken Brooke

Archived