Wrexham Resignalling

• RMweb Gold

Over the weekend of the 17/18 October 2009 a new panel will be brought into use, this is installed in the existing Croes Newydd North Fork signal box and replaces the current lever frame.

Some of the signalling is to be upgraded to LED based and some will remain, to be controlled by the new panel.

Wrexham General, 13/10/2009

CN49 becomes 925

post-6662-12554411335917_thumb.jpg

CN63 and it's replacement 934 - note the loop is to be indicated with a feather rather than a stencil as current.

post-6662-12554411939613_thumb.jpg

post-6662-12554412033246_thumb.jpg

CN61 - to be replaced by 942, probably of similar form to the 934 signal above, the new signal (positioned where the metal plate temporarily blocks the hole) would obscure the view of CN61 so won't be erected until Saturday when CN61 is removed.

post-6662-12554413282173_thumb.jpg

958 - this replaces the ground disk with stencil route indicator - interestingly it's a main aspect but reads over hand points so the bay cannot be used for passenger services.

post-6662-12554414358819_thumb.jpg

New speed board and a point with a partially replaces switch (54A becomes 2417A)

post-6662-12554415035564_thumb.jpg

A new limit of shunt signal 1397, this gives a new move which was not possible on the old frame, trains had to proceed towards Chester and return right line, now they can simply shunt up to this LOS. CN50 (931) beyond.

post-6662-12554416050012_thumb.jpg

post-6662-12554416212205_thumb.jpg

And with the old GWR shed behind (note the writing on the end wall)

post-6662-12554416434682_thumb.jpg

Signals protecting exit from the Up Goods Loop

CN36 (disk) CN 18/10 behind to be replaced with 956 (main) and 1387 shunt (only it's framework currently in place)

post-6662-12554417673413_thumb.jpg

The box with the down home, CN5/42 (943) and CN31 (the semaphore) to be replaced with 959, the new ground signal is 1389 (CN30 just visible behind)

post-6662-12554418867149_thumb.jpg

And a new banner repeater 943BR to repeat the existing CN5/42 (when it becomes 943)

post-6662-12554419483483_thumb.jpg

Watery Lane ground frame, out of use - note it uses LNWR SK80 levers (in GWR territory :O )

post-6662-12554420298246_thumb.jpg

And finally a train passing a couple of the signals.

82303 and 67013, Dyfrbont Pontcysyllte, on 1J80, 07:23, London Marylebone - Wrexham General

post-6662-12554420725548_thumb.jpg

post-6662-12554420965258_thumb.jpg

Nice pics to look at and also a useful record of what is going on.

I'm not too familiar with this area, but is any new facility being provided to terminate trains from either direction in the platforms? I looked at this a few years back and seem to recall the existing signalling is pretty restrictive. As they plan to double the middle part of the Chester line they really need bi-di on both tracks northwards to where they converge (and will still converge) so they can terminate any extra trains the double track allows them to operate.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info

Is the box taking on a bigger area Dave, or just covering the same but with new signalling?

Bit rusty, but do they work up to Chester PSB?

cheers

Keith

Same area but some new signalling (a fair few are the old structures) - it works AB to Gobowen and TCB to Chester PSB (over the single line)

hth

• RMweb Gold

Nice pics to look at and also a useful record of what is going on.

I'm not too familiar with this area, but is any new facility being provided to terminate trains from either direction in the platforms? I looked at this a few years back and seem to recall the existing signalling is pretty restrictive. As they plan to double the middle part of the Chester line they really need bi-di on both tracks northwards to where they converge (and will still converge) so they can terminate any extra trains the double track allows them to operate.

Hi Edwin,

the only new route is the shunt wrong line to the LOS, no other new routes are to be provided at this stage, so it's still awkward to shunt :(

Hi Dave

Great pictures as usual. Thanks to people like you who are documenting the changes endemic on the railway system at present with the introduction of LED signalling. Just as important to record this stuff as the old mechanical systems. There is a common misconception that colour light signalling is 'modern' with the implication that it will be around for a while yet. These pictures illustrate the fact that it is just as susceptible to change as other forms of signalling.

Hi Edwin,

the only new route is the shunt wrong line to the LOS, no other new routes are to be provided at this stage, so it's still awkward to shunt :(

Thanks Dave. Hopefully there's enough capacity in the interlocking for them to add more routes later, which might have run into wire condition etc problems on the old interlocking.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers all.

I will be back next week to get some pics of the new signals in use (might try and get there on Sunday for some commissioning shots) - I'm hoping I might get to Wrexham later this week to video CN63 clearing before it bites the bullet (I have a feeling I may have already done this but can't remember :unsure: ) - I've already got CN61 - nowadays videos are easily "doable" and I try to record signalling in action as well as a still pic

Very interesting to see this, its helpful to get ones head around modern signalling.

Is the LOS stop signal the way things are done these days, do limit of shunt boards not get used anymore, or is there regional variation?

Look forward to more...

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting to see this, its helpful to get ones head around modern signalling.

Is the LOS stop signal the way things are done these days, do limit of shunt boards not get used anymore, or is there regional variation?

Look forward to more...

The double red position light signal has been the standard for indicating a Limit of Shunt since the back end of the 1990s but existing installations have only been gradually modified to conform (presumably because of the ongoing lack of design capacity that afflicted signalling work for quite a while).

• RMweb Gold

im struggling to see what the new los is going to achieve?

i can only assume its so that trains can come out of the old bays or croes newydd loop and go back into plat 1 to head south rather than having to cross over to the plat 3 loop as they do now?

Are the bays now signalled to allow passenger trains to depart from them?

the only shunt moves ive ever done in wrexham are from the up across to the bidston line or platform 3 which meant going into croes newydd loop, is that still the case?

Good to see that they have spent all that money doing new signals but why have they put the new signal exiting plat 3 on the wrong side? There was nothing wrong with the visibility of the old one, again i can only assume its because they have changed from cats eyes to a feather and its lost its sighting behind the canopy maybe?

• RMweb Gold

im struggling to see what the new los is going to achieve?

i can only assume its so that trains can come out of the old bays or croes newydd loop and go back into plat 1 to head south rather than having to cross over to the plat 3 loop as they do now?

I think thats the reason, it means P1 can be used for the Marys rather than having to block the connecting line, no P&C alterations so P1 is not available for terminating trains.

Are the bays now signalled to allow passenger trains to depart from them?

Nope - the point which splits to either bay is still hand operated.

the only shunt moves ive ever done in wrexham are from the up across to the bidston line or platform 3 which meant going into croes newydd loop, is that still the case?

Shunting can go to the loop or the up main (which it always could even under the existing signalling), the loop gives a main arm for departure but setting back from the up uses a ground signal. In the new signalling the pair of pairs of discs are abolished, all moves are controlled from the signal on the Ruabon side of the crossing.

Good to see that they have spent all that money doing new signals but why have they put the new signal exiting plat 3 on the wrong side? There was nothing wrong with the visibility of the old one, again i can only assume its because they have changed from cats eyes to a feather and its lost its sighting behind the canopy maybe?

I think thats the case, it's logical.

Hows LBT :P

• RMweb Gold

lbt was dark and stinky!!

it started to drizzle as i assaulted the climb upto bootle jn, didn't think it was gonna do it but i got over the top ok, the poor 66 was pulling 8500amps (the gauge only goes upto 8000!!)

the run across to earlestown was "spirited" i was surprised just how quick it picked up speed when back on the main line, 60 through huyton, i thought it would be a slog

anyway back on topic, i have done the move behind the signal on the main when shunting, forgot about that one, i've also put a demic 153 in the old neck beyond the bay, double shunt, into the bay and back out to the neck, the disc signal was inop though so i had to pass it with authority

that banner aproaching cn5/42 will speed things up a bit too

dont think i'll be driving through there under the new signalling though, out of my area now unfortunatly, unless an lbt to ironbridge gets diverted!!

august last year was the last time i drove wrexham

• RMweb Gold

lbt was dark and stinky!!

it started to drizzle as i assaulted the climb upto bootle jn, didn't think it was gonna do it but i got over the top ok, the poor 66 was pulling 8500amps (the gauge only goes upto 8000!!)

the run across to earlestown was "spirited" i was surprised just how quick it picked up speed when back on the main line, 60 through huyton, i thought it would be a slog

anyway back on topic, i have done the move behind the signal on the main when shunting, forgot about that one, i've also put a demic 153 in the old neck beyond the bay, double shunt, into the bay and back out to the neck, the disc signal was inop though so i had to pass it with authority

that banner aproaching cn5/42 will speed things up a bit too

dont think i'll be driving through there under the new signalling though, out of my area now unfortunatly, unless an lbt to ironbridge gets diverted!!

august last year was the last time i drove wrexham

Pity it was night, 60 at Huyton would have made a nice video - and bet it woke the bobby up too :D (66301 ??)

The disc is back in full use, Wrexham and Shropshire use the neck for stabling locos (normally failed ones :O )

The banner is great for straight through but I have a feeling the approach control on CN5/42 will mean it will be at "red" for most of the trains which need to be under control anyway, a routing banner would have been nicer but line speed precludes that I guess.

The work starts tomorrow night ... Watch out for an ex GWR lever frame, one careful owner and some associated accessories, on eBay - buyer collects, c/o Watery Lane, Wrexham ! :)

I hope the redundant kit will be reused either on the big railway or on a preserved line, even the colour lights are some 20+ years old and of a type that is disappearing due to LED heads.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived