Coalition for sustainable rail

AJ427

As I see it the more hot moving parts a machine has the more maintenance it will require and the more likely something is to fail - why have lots of locomotives burning biocoal to create energy and all the attendant complexity of carrying your fuel, power generation and traction in one unit when you could use the same biocoal in a power station to deliver electricity to drive simple electric traction.

• RMweb Gold

So they are wrecking a historic locomotive. Can you imagine the fuss if somebody decided to "rebuild" an A4 in this way?

The loco seems to be in pretty parlous condition already judging by pics I've found on the 'net. And there is another member of the class preserved in working order (but only one, unlike enough A4s to run a mainline service for a day - if they all worked).

• RMweb Gold

Wonder what the "coaling tower" would be called !!

Brit15

It would be the "public toilet" and they would charge passengers 30p each to refuel the locos! The yobbos that vault over the turnstiles could be thrown whole into the fire, thus improving the travel environment for everyone!

• RMweb Premium

Simplicity is the keyword.....Boiling water into steam then using it to push pistons. It is the means of boiling the water that tends to be expensive. The most useless waste created is sh*t and it'll never run out so maybe there is some calorific value in poo if it can be extracted.... :stinker:

this is not new we have been doing this in the UK for years see link from 2008. http://processengineering.theengineer.co.uk/scottish-sewage-to-fuel-plant-notes-maintenance-gains/306122.article

Steve

It's late and I'm tired, but am I reading this right? Are they really saying that the low speeds on the US rail network are because they have to use diesel-electric traction rather than steam? This doesn't seem to have stopped BR and it's successors from operating a large fleet of 125mph diesel trains.

Remember that this is from a press release from the people wanting the project to proceed ;) What they're saying as I read it is steam trains could go fast, faster than the diesels we have in the US now there fore that is the answer. As I understand it there are very few diesel passnger locos as such in the US, the design base tends to be towards something that will handle freight first and foremost. It was perhaps notable that of the "US" originated locos in the current British inventory, the only one designed for high speed passenger running was built in Spain. This expertise is perhaps not required in the North American continent at the moment..?

Archived