Coal/Coke Rails on top of Wagons.

• RMweb Gold

I always wondered how the coke didn't fall out through the gaps between the raves.

Coke could be produced in large lumps as well as smaller pieces, especially if it was for industrial use.

David

• RMweb Gold

The coke wagon to the left of the signal box shows the raves fairly clearly, the raves are quite close together. It is just about possible to see the size of the coke lumps (if you have good imagination).

post-5613-0-48963400-1339702090_thumb.jpg

Taken by Dad 60 years ago.

David

Earlier this week I watched one of the DB(S) operated coke trains from the north-east to Margam as it passed by.

Formed of HTA hoppers, the train is longer than the corresponding 'MGR' coal trains using HTA wagons - again due to the reduced density of coke when compared to coal.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Road transport had an equivalent idea- 'greedy boards' which were fitted to the top of tipper lorry bodies to increase the payload of less dense products.

I remember greedy boards in skips - old doors and radiators in first - stood vertically of course. That's also how the rag n bone man ( pikey) loads his van in these parts.

No longer "acceptable" to do it with skips tho.

Road transport had an equivalent idea- 'greedy boards' which were fitted to the top of tipper lorry bodies to increase the payload of less dense products.

Probably borrowed from the railways - 'greedy boards' were fitted to chaldrons in the 1870s and also to various narrow gauge mine wagons over the years.

Archived