Moel Melyn

imnotacowimaduck

Hi all,

I thought i would try and share (and hopefully get help where needed!) my first attempt at 009 gauge.

But first, me! I was (and still am) an N gauge member but after joining Warley MRC and being involved in Broadwater Junction (which is nearly finished but wont be at the NEC in November) I decided I could never keep up and decided to be N gauge only with Warley and embark on my own route in 009.

The layout will be nice and small ( 155 x 55 cm) so that it will fit on an Ironing board, it will be wired for DCC but i have no chips or controllers as of yet! there will be two scenic sides but the idea is to use one at a time or have 2 operators. The first side will be a small station on a loop Tan-y-Bwlch esk design and the rear a yard (undecided but looks like the type of design as Pilton Yard from the L+B). Once i get the Points i have ordered i can get making!

As it will be a representation of FR and WHR the stock will generally be based upon this with a few others thrown in (L+B especially!) currently i only own Harlech Castle and Russell made from Five79 kits and a few other bits of stock for testing clearances etc.

And as its only fair as they inspired me Bron Hebog/Ddault and County Gate deserve a look at if you've never seen them as they are incredible!

James

Thanks mjcampbell.

Got the points yesterday and laid the very basic track ready to be wired up at the weekend.

post-11114-0-23789400-1340304709_thumb.jpg

The loop will become the station with a small siding at the rear for stock to sit. currently Moel Hebog sits in the rear siding with a couple of L + B wagons with Russell with 2 coaches (one is half made FR buffet 15)

post-11114-0-66657400-1340304835_thumb.jpg

so my question is, any ideas on how the other half should look?

James

• RMweb Gold

This looks an interesting beginning. If you are new to 009 then have you thought of joining the 009 Society?

I look forward to seeing this develop, my layout is still a way away yet but I am building things towards it. If you are having a Pilton type ladder will you have a run round loop? Will it be for the storage of coaches and trucks or will you attach it to an industry?

I can see the FR influence straight away! That looks like some nice stock.

I'd recommend the 009 society too. As well as a good monthly mag, there are area groups around the country (a couple in the Midlands I think) for like-minded individuals to chat to and support you. And there is a good second-hand sales service which is very useful - especially when you are starting out!

The plan looks good, but I'd suggest a couple of things.

- The front of the loop is very close to the board front, even if you plan a facia on the front some coaches may overhand and foul. Placing the point on the left side more parallel to be front edge would allow that line to move in about 1/2".

- Also it is worth checking the curves are consistent. Most 009 stuff is fine on 9" curves but tight spots can cause problems. A few moments with a pencil and a length of string will help, or make a template from a piece of card. Allow a little extra width and ease the curves out into the straights, but otherwise aim for an even curve.

As for the back, a passing loop would help operating as it can be a "fiddle yard" for the front. Your thought of a Pilton-Yard style works would be ideal, a couple of sidings into an engine shed/works, and perhaps a carriage shed too if you have space. Perhaps a short halt platform like Boston Lodge?

thanks guys, wiring has started very slowly as i hate/can't solder for the life of me!

mjcampbell - i've moved the front track back a little, it was a bit close!

dutch master - i can't seem to find any good pictures of dinas yard so can't figure out what goes where!

Current plans are Pilton Yard (do i need a headshunt? originally i had a turntable idea

post-11114-0-11362700-1340519409_thumb.jpg

and pilton yard with a small holt (boston esq as mjcampbell suggested) - removing the front carriage siding.

post-11114-0-49394500-1340519646_thumb.jpg

any more ideas are great (pref with pictures i'm rubbish at visualising words!) i don't want to add another loop on that side if possible as it will cut down space even more.

Thanks

James

thanks for the track layout, i don't really want 2 stations so that leaves the yard. as i only have a small space i don't feel like i can do it justice, therefore we end up with as below

post-11114-0-31809800-1340548896_thumb.jpg

i do however think pilton yard whilst functional isn't that exciting so maybe that needs a tweek or two

James

I'd go for something like your second plan - single road carriage shed - but see if you can fit in a loop alongside the main line. In the context of the layout it will help the scene act as a storage yard for the other side of the layout, for swapping/passing trains, and within the scene it would allow a train to be stored or made up away from the running line, and arrive/depart in either direction.

Less is more and I'd also point out that model trains are not best displayed inside buildings! Open-air tracks are much better, you can see your hard work then!

As for a turntable, I once built one in 009, based loosely on that at Pilton Yard:

EVA-08%252004.02.05.JPG

You can see more here. However unless you really want one I'd concentrate on the rest of the layout first! They were unusual on UK NG. This tiny layout maximised space by making the 2-road shed (not seen in this view) a façade, it was less than an inch deep yet could hold four locos! Instead the visible space was used by open tracks for locos to be on show.

thanks for all the input its really helpful to have lots of good ideas.

this has lead me to the current track plan - buildings become much for half relief for visibility, the extra siding on the left seems necessary and pointless all at the same time to me so i can't decide!

post-11114-0-99974500-1340644525_thumb.png

spent the weekend making coach 123 observation car as i didn't have the free space so can get back to the wiring at some point

James

• RMweb Gold

thanks for all the input its really helpful to have lots of good ideas.

this has lead me to the current track plan - buildings become much for half relief for visibility, the extra siding on the left seems necessary and pointless all at the same time to me so i can't decide!

Looks good to me. Run rounds allow you to do so much more. They have one at Pendre and that is not a station but is used as a pasiing point. I'd keep the extra siding. Coaling stage, cattle dock, industry of some sort, (brewery)?

Looks good. Towyn Pendre is good inspiration, having a loop but not a passing station, small halt, engine shed, carriage shed, and workshops!

Your kickback could serve a workshop? Or just somewhere for derelict stock to fade into the weeds...

Here's a schematic diagram of Dinas I made. Note: it's not to scale!

Just as an add on to the schematic by Dutch Master for the benefit of anyone using this plan and looking for scenic breaks.

There is a road overbridge between the station and the engine shed, the end of the loop is actually under it in real life, and at the other end of the plan the main line to Caernarfon disappears into a canopy of trees.

Made to be modelled or what! The road on the overbridge even starts from just above track level on the down platform side and drops back to track level on the other side.

Past the engine shed the line curves towards the bottom of the diagram and on the opposite side of the line, on the outside of the curve, is a workshop and mess room and then yet another road over bridge.

Phil T.

busy week has meant no progress on layout, however i have ordered the extra points from modellers mecca in Wall Heath so can start other side soon.

I have however had an attempt at building a coach from scratch (FR Observation coach 123) will add the interior at some point too

post-11114-0-15236300-1341076005_thumb.jpg

and i don't think its too much as a first real attempt, few rough edges but good practice for number 2!

Need to decide DCC controller next - thinking NCE powercab?

• 1 year later...

Been a very long time but much progress has been made.

Firstly new name: Nant Y Ddol which is the name of the in laws bungalow just outside Porthmadog (I will change the thread name if I work out how!)

Few picture to show progress and where this is all heading

post-11114-0-81736700-1376333183_thumb.jpg

Showing one end of the layout with Harlech Castle poking out

post-11114-0-45469200-1376333224_thumb.jpg

Russel waiting by the water tower

post-11114-0-12763800-1376333260_thumb.jpg

A Darjeeling diesel built from a worsley works kit that took my fancy in the station rear siding

post-11114-0-60928900-1376333322_thumb.jpg

A work in progress- a South African class 91 diesel which I imagine would be the new rescue diesel on the WHR as they replaced the Garretts

post-11114-0-33401700-1376333399_thumb.jpg

Another view of the tunnel mouth

Any ideas or suggestions welcome as its a work in progress best to look good in the end!

James

Archived