GWR Ground Signals

Those of you have tried to use the MSE kit for GWR Ground Signals in 4mm scale, especially the small 1918 discs with bevelled edge, may have wondered how to make the things work.

Actually making the discs move is not that difficult but getting the balance arm to move in connection is a little tricky.

Here's how I do it:

Making the disc move

take a small strip of brass drill two small holes in it. The distance between the two holes should not be greater than that which would allow hole one to be in line with the centre of the disc and hole two to be just behind the edge of the disc, so that when fitted it cannot be seen from the front. The strip should then be trimmed to length.

Solder the strip to a piece of wire which will be the centre drive rod for the disc. Then solder a small etched washer so as to space out the strip from the disc. Then solder to the disc so that the strip is in line with the strip on the front of the disc.

The operating wire should attached to hole two and the disc installed.

Making the balance arm move

Tricky but simple, you just need to wrap the operating wire around the end of the lever. The operating wire will need some method of restraint, otherwise it will come off the lever. I used a small piece of wire soldered across the base to keep it in place.

Photos (and possibly a video)

In due course, lamp still to be added.post-6948-0-63450100-1340188929.jpgpost-6948-0-62486400-1340189011.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks - the 7mm ones present something of a lesser challenge as you get a whitemetal balance arm with holes in.

I'm gonna need all the help I can get :lol:

I've a fixed stop with secondary into headshunt for a start, never mind the ground signals, one of which will be a stack of two - I've only ever built one simple MSE signal before :O

Archived