Tyne Dock Shed inspired Micro Layout

Lee Whitty

Alreet I'm starting a small 4ft x 2ft Micro layout based around tyne dock shed in particular No.1 Roundhouse the reason for htis interest is i live near where the actual shed was so i have a strong interest in that shed.

Its going to be an enclosed box layout with lighting rig built into the top.

The idea is to have the viewing space across the front as if you are looking into the shed in section as if the front wall has been removed. This will make the interior of the shed as the full layout with the exit of the shed as the access to the fiddleyard.

I will not model the shed in its full delapidated condition as at the end of steam. There will be a certain amount of wear and tear but i want to be able to run LNER stuff on the layout should the mood take me although it will mainly be a 1960s based layout.

I will try to add images of the baseboard as soon as i get some more done on it i have drew a few sketches which will hopefully give a better idea of what im thinking of.

plandrawing.jpg

Plan not to scale just a quick sketch

sectiondrawing.jpg

sectional view as if looking from the front of the layout

I'm undecided as to call the layout simply Tyne dock Shed/Roundhouse or to create a fictional one called boldon shed using the idea of a secondary shed being built near pontop crossing to house a small selection of locos from tyne dock for the boldon colliery workings.

Any ideas or comments on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

First Leeman Road (50A) and now Tyne Dock to bring back memories of those wonderful 'Steam Day Sunday Afternoons' bunking round loco sheds. This will definitely be one to watch as you re-create a place which was the absolute epitome of a North Eastern shed.

Cheers

Mike

If you want to have the 9Fs you might like an assumed name- I believe they were too big for the roundhouse turntables. They were kept on the open-air straight tracks and became filthy because of it....

All the very best

Les

If being true to Tyne Dock beware of the track layout. Of the 4 roundhouses one (the original northern one) had its turntable removed in the 1870's (probably about the time the roundhouse 2 or 3 were built. It was converted to a 5 track shed with only the second road passing straight through the southern wall into roundhouse 2. (seek out the OS map to see that these roads were not evenly spaced along the northern wall) If modelling the second roundhouse at least one track passed through its southern wall to roundhouse 3. Similarly there was a single road exit through the south wall of roundhouse 3. Roundhouse 4 (the last to be built) was a bit odd. There have been a suggestion that there was in fact a repair shop between it and roundhouse 2 as when built there were 2 tracks entering on the north wall, one central the other alongside the west wall of roundhouse 1, and only one leaving on the center of the south wall. In both of these cases (roundhouse 3 and 4) the exit road on the south walls were only dead ended spurs. This may have changed later in life. All 4 were built within a 35 year span and almost certainly of a very similar architectural style. Though the roof of RH4 was different.

It is of course up to you how much is made of the prototype , and indeed how much can be in the given space. But look forward to seeing it progress.

Archived