Railmatch spray paint problem

Hi,

I have a brand new can of Railmatch spray paint it's a year old but still brand new and unopened - today I taken it out to use it, I put the cap on and nothing happened when I pushed down on the nozzle.

I'm not sure what's wrong but I have 2 other cans and the same sort of problem. I've cleaned all the nozzles (even though they're new and unused) given them a deep soak in cellulose thinners for a good 10 minutes and made sure they were clean by blowing through them with the airline, so the nozzles are real clean - yet when I put them back on the can still nothing happening.

I also shaken the cans for a good 5 minutes and still nothing - I also tried heating them with the heat gun and still nothing.

Although to say I did press in the top with a blunt object and it did spray out but when putting on the nozzle still nothing happened.

What is this paint's major malfunction because I'm really stumped on it?

Is there any help here because they are all full cans of paint and at £6 or so each - simply throwing them away isn't an option!

Cheers

It sound like lack of propellant. I do not know what the cans look like, but is there a plastic tube at the top for the nozzel to sit on. If there is push it down carefully with a screw driver or against a wall somewhere it does not matter getting paint over. If the paint squirts out it is your nozzle, if it does not send the can to Railmatch as it is no good.

Greetings,

Unfortunately this is a problem with all Railmatch spray cans I've seen reported many a time. I've loads of cans but only about 3 useable nozzles; they block so easily no matter how much care you take. Soaking in thinners etc doesn't guarantee success. However Halfords seem to be able to produce spray cans that never block.

When shaking do the ball bearings inside rattle? My local stockist always shakes a new can first to get them moving. If they don't he won't sell the can as he believes they can stick inside.

Gareth

I've been there too with Railmatch aerosols! You're already tried all the usual remedies, but have you tried swapping the nozzle with one from another can? The fact that paint can squirt out of the can with the nozzle removed implies that the nozzle itself is still blocked (despite your valiant efforts). One more tip might be to try soaking the nozzle in enamel thinners or white spirit rather than celulose, as I think Railmatch aerosols are oil-based.

I can recommend using Halfords aerosols instead, as I do. Yes, it takes some effort to select one of exactly the right shade, but the results are consistently good in my experience and you get more for your money.

Cheers,

Will

I always store my Railmatch cans upside down to avoid the ejection tube becoming blocked. Also, if I am sprayng something and I don't use the whole can, I turn it upside down and spray until no paint comes out of the nozzle. This clears the tube inside the can. I then replace the lid and store it upside down again. I have used cans that are over one year old by doing this, and gone back and finished off a half used can.

Archived