Padstow Station Building Endangered

autocoach

As earlier suggested, make sure you are very credit worthy if you visit one of the local chefs eateries. I could only afford one of his satellite outlets 'Cornish pies' a few years ago, it tasted like some of the ingredients came from the local sawmill, even the dog turned her nose up. Beeman.

• RMweb Premium

There are more than enough eating establishments in Padstow, from fish and chips to decent pub meals, without having to line Mr. Stein's pockets if one does not wish to. Whilst he has brought a small amount of employment to the town and has certainly raised its profile and probably the overall "spend" by visitors there is also a modest degree of backlash among some of the locals who prefer to not be "Steinified" and liked their town just as it was, thank 'ee my lover.

• RMweb Gold

I havent been to Padstow now for about 25 years. I must admit that Steinification has put me off going there (I know quite a few people that do go there just for the Stein experience) but must make a trip there some day and do the pubs and perhaps pay last respects to the old station.

Re Gwiwer comments , just shows 'influence' by creating a jobs and having 'friends in the right places' can oppose local opinions. pity the railway had not been taken over by preservationists. Beeman.

• RMweb Premium

There are suggestions - and I stress only casual comments and not in any way an official statement - that the B&WR might be looking at running north of Boscarne at some future time and that while Wadebridge is the likely destination due to significant physical obstructions beyond there these days Padstow is not altogether off the very long-term radar.

• RMweb Gold

Wadebridge is a given and planning is under way for that. Getting past Wadebridge is a big issue, would need a completely new trackbed effectively bypassing the town as the original route is now occupied by the main road through. When the rails were lifted the road was effectively doubled in width.

The only other possible solution would be some kind of tramway with a shuttle service across town - not ideal.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We stayed just outside Padstow last month and the place was pretty busy the car park by the harbour was full up with cars chasing round after spaces. Meanwhile the car park up the hill was almost empty but that would have involved walking. At the end of what I assume was the old platform just along from Mr Stein's fish and chips was a small portacabin selling food. The customers were locals fishermen or dockers I presume so I expected reasonably priced food of decent quality and that's what we got. The camel trail is really good but busy. I haven't been to Rock since Jan69 when it was shirt off weather.

With Radon gas solid floors with a DPM should stop it and with wooden suspended floors just ventilate the space. Job done.

Don

• RMweb Premium

The platform at Padstow is obvious and is relatively unaltered in itself. The canopy and almost everything else "railway" has gone apart from the station building in question. Hotchpotch developments have turned what might have been a fascinating (if unlovely) working quayside into a complete eyesore with no one building in sympathy with any other not the overall situation.

Maybe Kernow would be interested in immortalizing the Padstow station building in one of their Cornish line of cast structures. It could be used for several North Cornwall locations. From the platform Padstow is a right handed waiting room version of the standard North Cornwall station. Actually the waiting and baggage room on the right seem to be a little longer that some of the similar stations. A real enthusiastic program would have both right and left handed versions. The canopy would have to be an extra like the boiler and smokestack for the clay dries.

I have actually built a paper "mock up" of the Padstow station as you can see on my Padstow Layout thread. I would be happy to replace it with a "more better " version without having to build it myself. Life is getting too short in remaining time to build from scratch everything I need.

Wish list?

Maybe Kernow would be interested in immortalizing the Padstow station building in one of their Cornish line of cast structures. It could be used for several North Cornwall locations. From the platform Padstow is a right handed waiting room version of the standard North Cornwall station. Actually the waiting and baggage room on the right seem to be a little longer that some of the similar stations. A real enthusiastic program would have both right and left handed versions. The canopy would have to be an extra like the boiler and smokestack for the clay dries.

I have actually built a paper "mock up" of the Padstow station as you can see on my Padstow Layout thread. I would be happy to replace it with a "more better " version without having to build it myself. Life is getting too short in remaining time to build from scratch everything I need.

Wish list?

Interestingly, Oxford's recent OWB operates with a Padstow front blind, and quite superb it is as well. Padstow, as a prototype, is a common denominator for ex-LSWR types who would not see their first choice in r-t-p. A cast resin station building, to Kernow's customary standards, would almost certainly be popular, and would match Kernow's earlier Type 4 cabin.

PB

I received 2 Southern National OWB's yesterday. One has already been dismantled to see about opening the door for positioning in the Padstow station forecourt.

Alas Kernow's earlier Type 4 cabin ia the wrong way round for Padstow having been modeled on the signal box at Wadebrldge. I use one anyway.on my Padstow layout.

Archived