chaz

I'm feeling rather guilty that I set this particular hare running, but the signals are beauties powered by servos with realistic bouncing.

No guilt necessary Chris, you can come out of the naughty corner! I shot the hare by demurring.

Chaz

A sunny afternoon (remember those?) and the Dock Green yard slumbers in the heat....

Oh alright, a bit of self-indulgence, some staged snaps taken to show recent progress.

P1020639a600x415_zps9d9a635c.jpg

The lorry is a very nice model from Goods Yard Models, which will need some weathering in due course.

P1020638a600x349_zps69b1ea60.jpg

P1020636a600x450_zps4f3a7de3.jpg

Another lovely lorry from Goods Yard Models,

the downgraded ballast has been painted,

I have added some grass, brambles and weeds (well, it is Dock Green), but more will be needed.

The hand barrow is from an etched brass kit, which I have had for a long time (possibly from E R H Francis?).

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 12

Thanks for that Dave. I am a great admirer of your Dorset NG layouts, so praise from yourself is much valued.

I have been itching to start putting in some weeds and stuff but have been held back by the need to get some of the bigger jobs done. It's great fun adding some greenery and seeing it add another dimension (as do those excellent lorries). The only problem is knowing when to stop - this is supposed to be North London, not some leafy, country outpost.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Chaz. London is rather greener and more leafy than you might think (well it used to be ). The retaining walls and bridges give you the hard landscape background of a city.

Don

I don't think I've seen Sargeant Dixon, yet. :)

No, his beat includes the bridge at the other end of the layout - the one adjacent to the warehouse. I am now working my way along the baseboards; the one in the pictures above is DE and I am currently working on it and CD (the one with the canal). Dixon will be on AB so it may be mid-summer before he gets put in place - WTS!

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Nice work Chaz. London is rather greener and more leafy than you might think (well it used to be ). The retaining walls and bridges give you the hard landscape background of a city.

Don

Well yes, Don. I was born in London and lived there until I was seven and remember playing on bomb sites on which nettles and fireweed were rampant.

Chaz

Hi Chaz your layout is truly inspirational,i am about to embark into 0 gauge and you have given me a lot of food for thought.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete. Best of luck with your own efforts!

Chaz

A tale of two fences...

Look at any fence that isn't part of a well tended garden and you will see weeds and grass all along its base. Any model fence that doesn't show this isn't going to look convincing. So here's mine...

P1020643a600x376_zps46c7d703.jpg

The picture above shows the railway fence with the space for the factory yard in the foreground. I omitted the metal spreaders between the posts on this section of railway fence. The bottom strand of wire is largely hidden amongst the weeds.

Next, a close-up showing the fence (and the poor quality of the ballast in the yard).

P1020645a600x553_zps8a02d36c.jpg

The wire does look overscale in this view (which indeed it is) but as it's almost invisible to the naked eye I think it's acceptable. The clumps of grass are from the excellent "Green Line" range - a German product imported for wargamers (whatever they are). The more lumpy weeds are Woodland Scenics light green bushes (!). They may be good bushes in 2mm, in 7mm they are weeds.

The next two photos show the factory yard with the chain-link fence running along inside the railway fence.

P1020646a600x297_zpsf14d5b25.jpg

P1020647a600x325_zps5d884ec0.jpg

I will add some weeds around the base of that steel rack once it is fixed in place.
I keep forgetting to pop the point levers back into position for a photo. I haven't fixed them yet as they seem so vulnerable, but will do so as soon as the majority of the work is complete.

A final shot showing the close relationship of the railway fence and the more sustantial chain-link fence of the factory.

P1020649a600x420_zps5353e4cf.jpg

The owners evidently have no faith in the ability of the low railway fence to keep out the light-fingered brigade and have installed their own, more effective barrier.  I did remember the point levers for this snap!

And before anybody objects - I do know that they couldn't possibly pass those three strands of barbed wire through the holes in the angled post tops. But after the awful struggle I had attaching the chain link etch to the posts (superglue - which just didn't want to bond until I used aluminium clips to hold it in place for a few minutes) I was in no mood to try to attach the wires to the outside.

Incidentally I did buy some Scalelink etched-brass barbed wire - but it looked so overscale I discarded it and used more of the blackened 0.31mm plain brass wire.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 9

Hi Chaz,

Looking good. Will try to make Warley this year and come and say hello - assuming I feel brave enough to face the usual scrum there!

Alan.

Do please come and say hello, see you there!

Chaz

A few more snaps...

P1020650a600x407_zps924c416b.jpg

Above - the area just off the end of the goods platform.

P1020654a600x441_zps726b3274.jpg

Close up of the steps up to the platform end. (Shame the photo reveals the less than perfect modelling under the canopy...)

P1020651a600x382_zpsfa8b23fa.jpg

The lovely lorries (from Goods Yard Models) stand on the area of setts.

P1020656a600x389_zps08c162d4.jpg

68973 is a J50/3, built from the excellent Connoisseur kit. That chain-link fence looks new.

P1020658a600x416_zps5776a882.jpg

My favourite from this batch of photos. We must be looking out of one of the factory windows across the yard. Shunting is going on over the fence. Seems as if it's always sunny at Dock Green (Having been brought up in North London this seems unlikely.).

Chaz

• Like 10

I enjoy playing around with the camera to get interesting glimpses of stock on the layout...

P1020665a600x450_zps8c329179.jpg

....probably not a photo that anyone would take of reality?

Chaz

• Like 5

I finally got around to fastening the sawmill in place in the factory yard - or rather I didn't. I decided that the heavy white metal circular saw superglued to the floor would be quite likely to break away if the baseboard received a shock (in a van or being handled). So I made the shelter removeable. The photo shows it in place.

P1020682a700x395_zpsa5931c9f.jpg

I added a pinboard so that saw operator can pin up his list of jobs (and his girly calendar :mosking: ). Offcuts are in the tea-chest, all that's missing are the heaps of sawdust.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 10

Aren't digital compact cameras brilliant?

P1020687a700x488_zps89ad7e12.jpg

I took this with my Panasonic Lumix. The lens was just 70mm from the nearest corner of the shed. I had the camera on a tripod and the only help I gave it was to hold a sheet of foamboard as a reflector to get some light under the roof. Outstanding photo quality which, unfortunately, makes my Nikon D80 seem somewhat redundant.

Chaz

• Like 9

YUK! This is a close-up of part of the front edge of one of the baseboards.

P1020694a600x336_zpsf5bc0b60.jpg

From the bottom up that's a layer of plywood, one of cork, then foamboard and finally DAS on the top. Not a very attractive sight. A friend of mine was scrapping a wooden venetian blind and offered me some of the strips "just in case they might be useful". They certainly are. Sticking them to the top edge of the baseboard with PVA produces this very much neater appearance.

P1020696a600x309_zpse384611a.jpg

Not very exciting, but worthwhile I think.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 11