Bulleid light pacific spares

Tim Hale

Much as I am a fan of Hornby's light pacifics, things can fall off and get broken.

Luckily Hornby offer excellent illustrated parts sheets on-line but finding the bits is not a sinecure, luckily there is Peter's Spares.

My latest purchase, an ancient Wilton, has seen better days but now it has the latest DCC-ready chassis which necessitated the swapping of the rear axle to retain the speedo drive, which had snapped. Luckily Peter's Spares offers these items but marked as Merchant Navy items X8856, so at least that has been resolved but the pipework under the cab was missing, again the same supplier offers a nice pewter casting from Genesis Models ebay item number 320934440795.

I hope that other owners of Bulleid's finest will find this information of some use.

Finally, does anyone remember how to find the excellent thread on fitting the brake gear to Hornby's light pacifics,someone on RMweb had a very good method.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Tim

yes Peters models are a good ounce of spares. Had quite a few from them for second hand bullied Pacifics.

I did post ome where along with others regarding fitting the brake hangers.

I unscrew that first plastic plate on the chassis then superglue one IDE of the hangers on and leave to dry.

Then I drill a .45 mm hole very carefully through the pins at each fixing location being careful not to bend it by turning side on to a thin table edge. A piece of .33 mm brass wire is inserted and bent over each side of the hole and superglue applied. Once dry the wire is trimmed and a file lightly run across each end to remove any sharp edges. This is then repeated for the other hanger then the whole assembly is screwed back in place nd weathered.

So far none of the hangers have come off despite repeated handling at shows.

Ian

Steam_Pipe.jpg

The Hornby Bulleid light pacific has been around a far few years and is a favourite with Southern fans. Not so popular is the failure of the pipework under the cab right hand side, it falls off and is not even remotely available as a spare from Hornby.

However Genesis Kits of Market Rasen market a nice casting (just a £1.00) to save the situation and here it is, it takes a little fettling to get in place but it does look good - being a silly sod I put it in upside down so that it looked more like a 9F but with the photo, everything is obvious.

Stick in place with superglue, then paint.

Tim

Thanks for the interesting tips Tim.

I'll certainly keep Peter's Spares & Genesis Kits in mind during my workbench sessions with my Bullied fleet.

I am also an ardent admirer of the Hornby light pacifics, but a 'good one' is getting harder to find these days.

My irregular forays onto e-bay normally end up with yet another 'spam can' or rebuilt, & it'll be good to be able to bring them up to a reasonable standard.

I was really interested to hear about the DCC ready chassis, as it should make converting older models much easier.

Anyway, thanks once again for the info

Cheers

Rob 'westcountryman' Morgan

Another supplier to look to for replacement parts (not spares as such!) is RT Models (http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/) - I have purchased several of his front step brass castings to replace the plastic Hornby ones that fall off. You will find them under the 'Albert Goodall Bulleid Parts' heading.

Peters Spares are very good, although I find the postal charges a little high (I'm in Australia) - combining several purchases helps a bit here, though.

For the under-cab pipework, I replaced one set with ordinary copper wire bent and superglued in place (that was 'Wilton' too!). I bent it to a slightly different shape when compared to Hornby's original - mine doesn't clout platforms or other lineside obstructions then ping off into the scenery!!! However, I will be looking at that Genesis casting with interest as soon as I finsih here.

For the brake gear, I followed someone else's suggestion (I cannot remember who but sincere thanks to them) of drilling out the mounting pins on the brake rodding and threading track pins through from behnd the brake hangers. This gives a good force fit anyway but I reinforced the joints with a spot of superglue, then cut off the projecting pin ends. mine are still not quite flush - I'll get a round tuit eventually to cut them off properly flush with a slitting disc in my Dremel tool. You'll find the details and some photos in this thread http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1 (started by Tim Hale - and roundhouse is also in there!! :) ).

Changing subect (marginally): does anyone do replacement under-cab pipework for the rebuilt Bulleid light Pacifics? I have managed to damage those on every one of mine, not when I was removing the bodies but just as I got them back on after decoder fitting, in spite of being extra careful ... or so I thought.

• RMweb Gold

I am not aware of any replacements. I tend to superglue them back on after replacing the body but I suppose you could fabricate them out of brass wire of a matching gauge.

Or you could talk nicely to RT Models and they might do some lost wax castings!!

Ian

The problem with the rebuilt's pipework is that it sort of shatters into several bits. For the unmodified WC/BoB I have fabricated replacement pipework out of copper wire but the rebuilt pipework seems rather more complicated. I have ordered some replacement cast metal sets from Genesis Models (via another dealer) for the unmodified Pacifics for future use.

I just broke the Hornby plastic casting for the left hand side under cab piping. It would be nice to have a lost wax brass casting of the left hand side piping or at least a detailed scratch building article on how to rebuild it.

This eBay seller offers a lot of Chinese Hornby spares including the hard-to-get body shells. There are a lot of Bulleid Pacific spares on offer at the moment.

However, there is a catch - everything he sells is damaged in some way. Some of the damaged bodies have to be seen to be believed - you wonder whether he smashes them up for fun, or is simply terribly accident-prone.

I am going to very shortly send off some of alberts bits for the pipework to be produced in lost wax brass, when these arrive is another matter!

Ah I think we will be able to solder on until they arrive.....

i was chipping away the unfortunately cast on BR number plate from a Hornby WC Torrington that I am slowly converting into 21C108 Padstow (using Fox etchings) when I accidentally sliced off the WC smoke box door handle which went flying off into the great unfathomable depths of my workroom. Checking my spares box, I found I was out of my usual stock of Mainly Trains GWR/SR smokebox handles I keep for just such emergencies. Further woe in that according to the Mainly Trains website, this part is not currently available.

So my question is what would be a suitable replacement. Are any of the Comet smokebox door handles suitable? Hornby replacements for the whole door without the BR smokebox do not seem to be available. The Albert Goodall parts list that RT is now making do not contain smokebox door handles and the smokebox door castings have the BR number plate cast on.

If any of you can recommend which Comet smokebox door handles and possible smokebox door replacements without BR number plates I should order for WC's and possibly other Southern Locomotives, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

(One or these days I will summon the courage to attack the cab and return it to the as-built version. Until then it will remain a spotters anomaly)

This eBay seller offers a lot of Chinese Hornby spares including the hard-to-get body shells. There are a lot of Bulleid Pacific spares on offer at the moment.

However, there is a catch - everything he sells is damaged in some way. Some of the damaged bodies have to be seen to be believed - you wonder whether he smashes them up for fun, or is simply terribly accident-prone.

Not any more. Nothing but a power chassis for WC.

If any of you can recommend which Comet smokebox door handles and possible smokebox door replacements without BR number plates I should order for WC's and possibly other Southern Locomotives, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Don't use Comet, try Markit, Mark offers a useful range of Bulleid spares and add-ons. Very useful indeed and very high quality.

Tim

Tim,

I am putting together an order for Markits but they they are a bit difficult to deal with from overseas as they do not appear from their catalog to have a secure site or PayPal arrangement. I think I have forgotten how to fax as it is an obsolete process in the modern world. And I don't feel secure faxing a credit card number.

Any ideas or a third party stockist?

Tim,

I am putting together an order for Markits but they they are a bit difficult to deal with from overseas as they do not appear from their catalog to have a secure site or PayPal arrangement. I think I have forgotten how to fax as it is an obsolete process in the modern world. And I don't feel secure faxing a credit card number.

Any ideas or a third party stockist?

I suppose an email is an option, do you need guidance?

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

This shows the Genesis plumbing and some of my own plumbing installed on my "work in progress" WC's. The first photo is of left side of cab scratch replacment for lost Hornby casting. The second and third are the Genesis product. I got it as close as I could to the existing Hornby pipes on the right. The casting obviously ends at the pipe bracket. It does extend a little further but not enough so I cut off the extension and used the pipe bracket to cover the join. I did have to carefully bend the Genesis casting to get more of a right angle for the pipes.

post-6958-0-58710300-1344015843_thumb.jpg

post-6958-0-13380200-1344015903_thumb.jpg

post-6958-0-36249700-1344015950_thumb.jpg

I suppose n email is an option, do you need guidance?

Tim

Emails are definitely NOT a secure way to send credit card details - I refuse outright to use that method, preferring a phone call if possible. I have ordered items from Replica Railways by phone from Australia as they also do not have any secure online methods available.

Emails are definitely NOT a secure way to send credit card details - I refuse outright to use that method, preferring a phone call if possible. I have ordered items from Replica Railwyays by phone from Australia as they also do not have any secure online methods available.

That is merely your opinion and no need to shout.

Tim

Sorry Tim - it was not intended as a shout but for emphasis. Emails are not secure - that is not just my 'opinion'. It is a fact that emails can be hacked, hijacked and intercepted. There are programs 'out there' that search for the 16 digit numbers used for credit cards, both with and without spaces.

Sorry Tim - it was not intended as a shout but for emphasis. Emails are not secure - that is not just my 'opinion'. It is a fact that emails can be hacked, hijacked and intercepted. There are programs 'out there' that search for the 16 digit numbers used for credit cards, both with and without spaces.

Your comments about credit cards are irrelevant to the fact that you have quoted me. Can you show me and the forum members where I suggested the use of an email to transfer credit card details? If not, then why bother quoting me?

Tim

Tim, I am not sure why you are so upset by this. You indicated ordering something by email. I warned against sending credit card details by email. If you are paying by some other method such as PayPal, then there is no problem. Others are reading all this too, so my warning stands: send credit card details by email and it is at your own risk. I'm not just thinking of you here but of the wider audience using RMweb and the problem with acquiring goods from smaller traders who don't have some sort of secure web shopping site.

I, and many other overseas modellers, do have difficulties buying from traders such as Markits because of the security risks and the sheer cost of getting international cheques - and Markits do list a good many items I deem desirable for my own modelling needs.

I would refer you back to autocoach's post where he did not feel secure sending a fax with a credit card number and you responded by suggesting an email. Were you suggesting he should send an email with his credit card number on it? It may not have been your intention but that's the way it appeared to me.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, back to the under cab pipework.

Here are alberts whitemetal castings

Sorry for the poor quality as it was taken on the mobile phone.

Are you all happy to have these done as they are in lost wax brass buut with both the offside and injectors combined?

post-8628-0-91545700-1344200725_thumb.jpg

While I would love to have lost wax as a medium, I am not sure the effort would be worth it for me with these castings.

I am not sure that the above Albert Goodall's castings are as good as the Genesis for the right side. I was able to scratch the left side fairly easily with brass wire.(see above pics.) The other casting (lower left) seems to be from a rebuilt WC/BB as it does not seem to match. If it was on the as built (1945-47), version, then I would be interested. Otherwise others who model the modified and rebuilt WC/BB's may be interested in this casting.

Again I am not an expert on WC/BB plumbing. I wish I knew more but life is a little bit too short to do all the research (At 68, I am counting the remaining hours/minutes in the life expectancy charts.)

Archived