The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Massive auction of 'OO' stuff tomorrow morning - online

Tom J

My parents tipped me off just now that Richard Wintertons at Lichfield have an enormous load of 'OO' stuff (RTR and some kit built locos) up for sale tomorrow.

The auction is online. The lots are rather messy - only some of them can actually be identified! It's not my scale and auctions often end up selling stuff like this for silly money, but it may be of interest to someone.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/richard-winterton-auctioneers/catalogue-id-2864137

Down the page a bit for the railway lots.

I suspect much of it will appear on eBay in due course. I think the size of the individual lots say it all - trade bidder with deep pockets need only to apply. I wonder how often they do this though as very few lots have an auction estimate.

Interesting nevertheless.

• RMweb Gold

It's bit misleading (or possibly hopeful?) that no estimates are shown - I could be generous and say they probably have no experience of selling this sort of stuff although the lotting tends to suggest otherwise. It might be far enough north of the Thames Valley to get nearer to north of England auction prices but it really depends on the extent to which Ebay traders get their oar in as Kenton has said. But even if they do it is perfectly easy to beat them provided you are prepared to accept the hassle of getting rid of the stuff you don't want - they are in it for profit but still won't pay much above £40 per r-t-r loco unless it is rare or collectable.

And one forecast - one lot of kits will probably make at least £200 on the hammer meaning someone is willing to pay nearly £250 for it - but then look at the prices some kits fetch on Ebay.

Heljan (I assume) LION in Lot 252. So not Hornby/Triang as described then... Blue EM2 and what look like the LMS twins in 259, a brace of Jouef 40s in 283 and trio of Airfix 31s in 284.

Wonder where this eclectic haul hailed from....

...Wonder where this eclectic haul hailed from....

Got to be a dealer let's speculate that he has become fed up toting this heap to shows, swap meets or whatever; to not get many sales due to the habit of starting prices from £15 for a Wrenn wagon. Or the owner has died. Happened on such a house clearance auction in a small N Devon market town once, and it was similarly disorganised, the lots very evidently being offered on the basis of 'a box of stuff as found = a lot for sale'.

It crossed my mind that it could have been the shop contents of Sleeper's Models in Erdington, but when I passed there last night it was in the same state of suspended animation that it's been in for five years: with its neon burning and junk piled up obscuring the entire window display.

• RMweb Premium

Or the owner has died. Happened on such a house clearance auction in a small N Devon market town once, and it was similarly disorganised, the lots very evidently being offered on the basis of 'a box of stuff as found = a lot for sale'.

This is from a deceased estate as explained here - typical newpaper reporting - a photo of 4 locos described as carriages :O

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2160998/Largest-collection-model-trains-goes-auction.html

A quick look at the photos there didn't show anything that special - the usual stuff that gets piled high on swap meet tables up and down the country - however the actual auctioneers lists had some interesting lots of loco kits.

Well I have to say despite the advance warning, Thanks Tom J, I missed the whole thing! Just back in and had a look at a couple of the hammer prices on a few of the lots that were of interest and have to say my wallet emitted a deep sigh of relief. A couple of the lots went for quite a bit less that I was prepared to pay, and that just highlights the problem with these type of auctions as opposed to ebay.

Not only do you have to first know they are taking place, but then you have to have internet access at the time in addition to the readies. I am convinced that we will see a rush of these on ebay where the prices will no doubt get silly and close to "as new" or even exceed it. For example nearly every DJH kit I see on eBay goes in the region of £90-£150 - depending on inclusive Romfords. hey are not exactly rare and am also convinced some of them go round and round remaining unbuilt forever, the novice buyer taking one look in the box and being put off by the number of parts. 3/4 years ago they only fetched £50-£75 and I have picked up a couple well below £50 - the days of bargains are long gone. Though in the case of this auction 13 x DJH for £480 hammer price was just such a bargain (assuming all were intact). Oh well, perhaps I need to keep my eyes peeled for other such auctions?

• RMweb Gold

Though in the case of this auction 13 x DJH for £480 hammer price was just such a bargain (assuming all were intact). Oh well, perhaps I need to keep my eyes peeled for other such auctions?

Regrettably the reasonably local (Newbury) one I attend regularly has had nothing in that line for a while although the Christmas auction might produce something as the best stuff increasingly seems to be put aside for it. The only kits - apart from two part built Wills pacifics - in next week are for buildings and vehicles (and the vehicle kits are run-of-the-mill plastic stuff).

Archived