Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Building a 'Princess Royal' pacific in 4mm

These any good?  Hindsight tells me I ought to have gone for a few more at this year's event, but I didn't even get up to that hall!

Nearside rear splasher.

post-6712-0-34539200-1384279676_thumb.jpg

Front end, showing the outline of the tailrod cover front.

post-6712-0-36937400-1384279744_thumb.jpg

Offisde rear pair of splashers and sand box filler.

post-6712-0-25726400-1384279768_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-37274900-1384279789_thumb.jpg post-6712-0-46005800-1384280026_thumb.jpg

Details by cab on both sides.  I have a close-up of the angle iron joining cab and running plate too, if needs be?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Guest Lyonesse

These any good?  Hindsight tells me I ought to have gone for a few more at this year's event, but I didn't even get up to that hall!

Fantastic.  Keep 'em coming.

It's quite a few years since I got up close and personal with 6203.  Most of the published pictures are taken just below footplate level and don't show this level of detail.

Thanks again.

A handful more.  I will hopefully be paying 6201 a visit sooner or later, given mine is 46200.

Rear of pony truck.  This is one of the extras that Mike will be including in the revised etch.  My pony truck already has this fitted to the rear.

post-6712-0-14415700-1384303654_thumb.jpg

Under nearside rear frames

post-6712-0-88551700-1384303676_thumb.jpg

Offside rear...

post-6712-0-60235900-1384303735_thumb.jpg

Lower section of firebox above pony truck

post-6712-0-00917800-1384303751_thumb.jpg

Cabside handrail support going up top of cab  Simple addition on model with a bit of thin strip :)

post-6712-0-65260200-1384303721_thumb.jpg

Once I get near 6201, I'll get a few more uploaded, since they'll prove useful to all of us building one of these fine locos.

• RMweb Gold

hi Michael out of interest are the new etches being produce in brass now or is it just my pc screen making them look more brass in colour and if so is there a reason for this?

Edited by farren

Guest Lyonesse

A handful more.  I will hopefully be paying 6201 a visit sooner or later, given mine is 46200.

Once I get near 6201, I'll get a few more uploaded, since they'll prove useful to all of us building one of these fine locos.

Brilliant, thanks.  Please keep 'em coming.

On the photos I've looked at there seems to be a cover over the sticky-out part of the frames around the pony truck, and that's how I interpret the drawings in the Wild Swan book.

• RMweb Premium

Cab now finished, apart from the backhead which will be made separate (makes painting much easier). The fallplate is one piece, hinged on wire through .8mm brass tube soldered to the back edge of the cab floor. Full size one was in three pieces, but this serves no purpose in a model (marks are etched underneath if you really want to). Cab/tender doors are a real nuisance on a working model, in 7mm I sometimes hinge them so that they can be folded back, in 4mm they are just folded slightly to avoid fouling the tender and brake/scoop handles on our unrealistic curves. Locos for Carlisle are tested down to 3'6" radius although the minimum a Princess will have to work round is 4'. 3'6" radius is ony on the loops representing the Cumbrian coast line.

post-1643-0-96861200-1384434543_thumb.jpg

The back handrail is held in a pillar at the lower end, for the upper end a length of 32swg soft brass wire is soldered to the back edge of the cab, turned out and formed into a loop round the handrail wire. Soft brass is the best material for this, stretch it slightly first to straighten it, handrail wire is .5mm, a bit thicker than it should be but in better proportion to the overscale handrail pillars.

post-1643-0-09831600-1384434586_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-98987000-1384434618_thumb.jpg

Finally the parts for the trailing truck, at the top of the picture is the actual shape. This is on the etch but can only be used in P4 and even then barely moves from side to side. The alternative gives much more clearance between the frames and looks much the same in practice. Side pieces soldered into grooves in the top flange, bottom flange soldered on next, then sides and back stretcher (seen on right, this will be on the revised etch).

post-1643-0-50452600-1384434678_thumb.jpg

I'll leave the loco now to build the tender (Comet) so more next week.

• Like 3

Guest Lyonesse

>  I'll leave the loco now to build the tender (Comet) so more next week.

Can you give us a list of the commercial bits and bobs you're using in the build, besides the Comet tender?  Also, where did the screw reverser come from.

Thanks.

Edited by Lyonesse

Can you give us a list of the commercial bits and bobs you're using ......

If you're hoping for chimneys and domes, he makes his own. There is nothing currently available for a Princess in the detailing market.

• RMweb Premium

Can you give us a list of the commercial bits and bobs you're using in the build, besides the Comet tender?  Also, where did the screw reverser come from.

Thanks.

I use the Comet bogie, tender and injectors, the reverser handle is my own etch, the gear cover is on the Princess etch and the rest of the reverser is made from tube. It's not really all that detailed, you can't see it very well in the finished cab. Leading buffers are Gibson, Comet ones on the tender. I might take a mould from the chimney of this one, if I can get J63 chimneys out reliably the Princess should be easy.

post-8340-0-41148900-1384781317_thumb.jpg

chassis running on ultrascale P4 wheels.

For the next one I will reduce the thickness of the slidebars from 4 layers to 3 layers to improve the clearence , it's very tight in P4

Need to sort the steam pipes before attaching the boiler assembly to the footplate.

• Like 4

Guest Lyonesse

chassis running on ultrascale P4 wheels.

For the next one I will reduce the thickness of the slidebars from 4 layers to 3 layers to improve the clearence , it's very tight in P4

Need to sort the steam pipes before attaching the boiler assembly to the footplate.

Very nice.  More pics of progress, please.

What drivetrain do you have?

Guest Lyonesse

Mashima with a hi level 50:1 Load hauler gearbox on the centre driver, will post more pictures soon

Thanks.  Mine'll probably have my usual 3-stage 58:1 gearbox and Mashima can motor, although I haven't decided which axle to drive.  I've also ordered Ultrascale wheels and now a Comet tender (and injectors) in preference to using the Britrail (Korean) 9-ton tender I was intending to use.  But really, all this progress with the various PRs being constructed just shows I need to crack on with the build and stop shilly-shallying about with various displacement activities.  (RMWeb: this means you!)