Chile wants to take back junin

sir douglas

http://www.mercurioa...1215041706.html

I was just looking for photos of "junin", when i came a cross this, i put it into google translator.

It basically says that the Chilean Association of Railway Heritage Conservation wants to take "Junin" back to chile as part of their railway history.

Obviosly my opinion is that it should stay in leeds, where it was built, but its just my opinion.

This is the same sort of nonsense that the Greeks try and pull with the Elgin marbles - complain loudly enough to our Government and a museum (over which they have no control) will give back a legitimately acquired artefact. If they really want the loco back, then by all means make the current owner an offer of some kind, but don't get upset if they refuse to sell.

I did like the statement that Leeds is north of London, but the article seems to be dated from 2004 so I'm guessing that the campaign went nowhere.

This is the same sort of nonsense that the Greeks try and pull with the Elgin marbles - complain loudly enough to our Government and a museum (over which they have no control) will give back a legitimately acquired artefact.

Questionable, all depends what you read.

Wonder how we would feel if the Greeks had quite a bit of Stonehenge on display in Athens.

As Pete says, this is old news (2004) and I don't know what's happened since. The Chile Association is quite a well organised affair and Ian Thompson (a Brit who works for the UN on Latin American rural transport issues) knows his stuff. Whilst I don't have any axe to grind over this particular locomotive, there are many steam locos on display in the open air at the Science Museum in Santiago, and others elsewhere in Chile including a whole half-roundhouse in the desert at Baquedano between Antofagasta and Calama. I'm not sure if they have any in running order, I've not been there for 15 years.

(OT - the Association meet frequently in an old railway carriage in the Central Station in Santiago; I once gave them a slide show (in Spanish) on UK finescale railway modelling).

Archived