EWS road vehicles

Hello

Probably this is not of much use to the EWS era but in BR days, late 80s to mid 90s my company did the transport for Railpart at Doncaster using flat trailers and low line tautliners to carry spares on regular overnight runs to BR depots across the country. The T/liners had to be low to get under the low arches that led into a lot of these depots. We also moved a lot of wheel sets on 40ft flats. The company was called Swifts in those days, nowadays we are Norbert Dentressangle. The contract has long gone as well, I have no idea who does it nowadays or where it runs out of.

Cheers

George

And in earlier days when BR did their own thing. A Ford Cargo and Dodge Commando at Toton depot in the 80s used for wheel transport.

post-1625-12624358033462_thumb.jpg

The same Dodge at Llandudno Jct. loaded with wagon wheels to replace some defective ones in the goods yard probably !

post-1625-12624358460904_thumb.jpg

Merfyn.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And from one Norbert Employee to two others- Happy New Year!!

Paul

Argh the opposition are everwhere! I'll stick happily with the somerset (or technically Wiltshire) based opposition!

Jo - If you need any plans etc of the Sainsburys Axors, (we run similar ones out of Northampton to those Emerald run to you with), I can get spec sheet/dimensions etc.

This is the only pic of an EWS lorry i have, its a BRUFF, attending an incident, it reversed over the rail, lowers some hidden rail wheels and drives off along the track. hope its of some use to someone.

post-6736-127352203754.jpg

it also has wipac light clusters hidden on the front under some panels. and on the back as standard.

This is the only pic of an EWS lorry i have, its a BRUFF, attending an incident, it reversed over the rail, lowers some hidden rail wheels and drives off along the track. hope its of some use to someone

it also has wipac light clusters hidden on the front under some panels. and on the back as standard.

Nice shot of R6EWS, but not a BRUFF, a SRS conversion. I think the only 6 wheeler, but they have a few on 4 wheel on Volvo chassis as well.

I think Bruff finished years ago. The only road-rail conversions these days seem to be by SRS and Permaquip except for the excavators.

Merfyn.

Argh the opposition are everwhere! I'll stick happily with the somerset (or technically Wiltshire) based opposition!

Jo - If you need any plans etc of the Sainsburys Axors, (we run similar ones out of Northampton to those Emerald run to you with), I can get spec sheet/dimensions etc.

Now that'd come in very useful Rob, so that's a yes please! Will have to have a chat next time I see you

jo

Now that'd come in very useful Rob, so that's a yes please! Will have to have a chat next time I see you

jo

No worries, will sort it tomorrow and will try and get some of the pictures of the kit when it was new which will have some detail that is hard to see in the usual 3/4 view

Dan,

BRUFF turned up its toes in the late 80 early nineties, the same person then went to work for Kershaws (prototype high output ballast cleaner DR76101), and that went toes up too..........However, the term "BRUFF" is used by all engineers as it became the accepted term for a mobile rerailing truck, sometimes you order a BRUFF to attend an incident and a Transit or Peoguet Boxer turns up!

The EWS 6 wheel rerailing Volvo. (R6EWS) is indeed modified by SRS in Sweeden with a Shwab body, there are a number of smaller versions about also owned by EWS ....sorry DB Schenker, they were smaller versions because the initial cost of R6EWS caused major concerns so the spec was down rated a bit.

By the way it doesnt have "Wipac" light units, technically theres no such thing, these light units are made by BMAC and only use a Wipac head light with in the cluster.

Cheers

R

• 4 months later...

Archived