EWS road vehicles

Yesterday while I was driving round town, I saw an EWS Scania artic much like this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/semmytrailer/3819366663/in/set-72157615644662256/ presumably coming from Westbury, loaded with wagon wheelsets, and heading for the M4.

As I was driving, there was no chance of a photo, and the interweb doesn't seem to through much up, so does anyone on here have any photos, or know of any on the net they could share please. I thought it'd make a rather interesting modelling project

Thanks in advance

jo

Yesterday while I was driving round town, I saw an EWS Scania artic much like this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/semmytrailer/3819366663/in/set-72157615644662256/ presumably coming from Westbury, loaded with wagon wheelsets, and heading for the M4.

As I was driving, there was no chance of a photo, and the interweb doesn't seem to through much up, so does anyone on here have any photos, or know of any on the net they could share please. I thought it'd make a rather interesting modelling project

Thanks in advance

jo

7 trailers and 4 of the Scanias at Toton this summer, showing how the wheels were loaded. I have seen a close up of one of the Scanias on either Flicka or Photopic but can't remember where. The traction unit is a 6x2 in white with EWS symbol in red on the cab doors, should be an easy conversion from the Oxford or Corgi model. The trailers are all 40' flats on 3 axles with single wheels. Registrations of two of the Toton ones are FJ06JZL/JZO.

Also in Photopic etc. can be found some of the EWS recovery vehicles by searching "recovery or breakdown"

And if you havn't seen it a recent topic on here "railway motors" had a few EWS vehicles.

Merfyn Jones.

post-1625-12612279458892_thumb.jpg

7 trailers and 4 of the Scanias at Toton this summer, showing how the wheels were loaded. I have seen a close up of one of the Scanias on either Flicka or Photopic but can't remember where. The traction unit is a 6x2 in white with EWS symbol in red on the cab doors, should be an easy conversion from the Oxford or Corgi model. The trailers are all 40' flats on 3 axles with single wheels. Registrations of two of the Toton ones are FJ06JZL/JZO.

Also in Photopic etc. can be found some of the EWS recovery vehicles by searching "recovery or breakdown"

And if you havn't seen it a recent topic on here "railway motors" had a few EWS vehicles.

Merfyn Jones.

Oops sorr, that's the same photo I found.

Merfyn

Thanks for that Merfyn, unfortunately no one does a decent modern truck in N. I'm planning on using one of those dubious Japanese trucks produced by TomyTec, modified to look like a Scania, until I get round to properly modelling a Scania cab, using the Tomy wheels and chassis. Unfortunately even in 4mm the right style of cab isn't available, only the Topline and Highline cabs are produced - no flat roof day cab sad.gif

I'm sure the axles on the one I saw were loaded the other way round, is there any kind of standard with this? I presume the red EWS logos on the cab door have black text, as per the standard logo

cheers

jo

Thanks for that Merfyn, unfortunately no one does a decent modern truck in N. I'm planning on using one of those dubious Japanese trucks produced by TomyTec, modified to look like a Scania, until I get round to properly modelling a Scania cab, using the Tomy wheels and chassis. Unfortunately even in 4mm the right style of cab isn't available, only the Topline and Highline cabs are produced - no flat roof day cab sad.gif

I'm sure the axles on the one I saw were loaded the other way round, is there any kind of standard with this? I presume the red EWS logos on the cab door have black text, as per the standard logo

cheers

jo

Hi jo

Sorry you didn't mention N. We are, by comparison spoilt in 4mm for road vehicles.

It is on my to-do list but I have a choice of the hacksaw and filler on a Corgi or Oxford cab or updating the Cararama day cab as used on their 8 wheel mixer.

The way of loading could depend on the wheel diameter being carried. Good luck with the project.

Merfyn.

With my truck modeller's hat on Merfyn, Ii'd say get the Corgi Highline cab. There is one currently listed in their catalogue with a 6x2 chassis. Although Cararama do a day cab, it's the older 4 series, rather than the latest R series that the EWS ones are. Also, I've a feeling it may be a P-cab, with 3 grill slats rather than 4, so sits lower.

I've seen some of your projects on other threads, so I assume hacking a die cast about isn't too much trouble for you! The cab would need shortening to remove the bunk area, and also to take off the air kit and give it a flat roof, but I think the Scania website is pretty good for photos and drawings of various cabs - it's certainly been a good resource for me over the years. This may be useful http://www.scania.co.uk/trucks/main-components/cabs/day-cabs/r-day/index.aspx

cheers

jo

Jo, you sound very knowledgeable about commercial vehicles (well certainly a lot more than me - I know nothing). I have a number of Tomytec

lorry and van cabs and wonder if you could suggest suitable types seen on British roads that they could represent by easy conversion.

Here's a pic of some of them for starters;

post-33-12614195665597_thumb.jpg

G.

Jo, you sound very knowledgeable about commercial vehicles (well certainly a lot more than me - I know nothing). I have a number of Tomytec

lorry and van cabs and wonder if you could suggest suitable types seen on British roads that they could represent by easy conversion.

Here's a pic of some of them for starters;

post-33-12614195665597_thumb.jpg

G.

Hi Grahame, I'm after a couple of the type in the the centre of your photograph to convert to Mercedes Axor, like the ones that deliver at work or their bigger brother the Actros, as this looks quite a simple conversion, with filler and filing on the lower cab, and a decal grill, with no work needed around the windows. A bit of work on the side windows too may get you an MAN TG-A. The three little lorries, the Isuzu on the left, and the two (Mitsubishi and Hino?) on the right are perfect for this kind of thing, http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBR_enGB327GB331&um=1&sa=1&q=isuzu+nqr&aq=f&oq=&start=0

In fact, our loacl recovery company has a few of the Isuzus, both spectacle lift and flat bed.

With the red and grey Mitsubishi Fuso, you may be able to convert it to a Volvo FL10 with some lower cab filing/filling, work to the side windows and transfers for the grill and lights.

The cabs are moulded in clear plastic, but I haven't experimented yet to see if they are strippable without clouding the glazing

Hope this helps a bit

Hi Jo I work for scania, If you need any pics or info just pm me mate.

I have an N gauge scania but its 1:60 scale from model masters in weston supermere.

Thanks, that sounds useful, I've got a fair bit of stuff, but will drop yopu a line if I get stuck!

cheers

jo

Yes, I had Martyn, what a classic! biggrin.gif Something like that is well worth modelling

The one at Westbury is even more of a beast - it's an old Seddon Atkinson, a fair bit older than that Leyland, something like this, http://www.kitformservices.com/gallery/401holmes.jpg though with a 4x2 chassis and tank body

cheers

jo

Thanks Martyn, I'm getting an urge now to model one of those as well as the EWS artic. How clean are those wheels!

I don't suppose you've got any pics of the van sized (Renault Master or Vauxhall equivalent) pick ups used by EWS? I seem to remember it standing out due to the large amount of reflective on the rear bodywork!

cheers

jo

Some interesting vans there Dave - it seems every fleet has to have an LDV somewhere! laugh.gif

What seems quite interesting is that railway vehicles seem to quite bland, at least in comparison what layouts seem to generally show...

cheers

jo

Yes, I had Martyn, what a classic! biggrin.gif Something like that is well worth modelling

The one at Westbury is even more of a beast - it's an old Seddon Atkinson, a fair bit older than that Leyland, something like this, http://www.kitformservices.com/gallery/401holmes.jpg though with a 4x2 chassis and tank body

cheers

jo

Many years ago Corgi did a petrol tanker with whizzwheels as an Artic with a very similar Seddon Atki tractor, I think the cab could be removed relatively easily and mated to a 6x4 chassis (probably about W reg...).Probably nearer 1/72 than 1/76 if you can live with that. B)

Steve

With my truck modeller's hat on Merfyn, Ii'd say get the Corgi Highline cab. There is one currently listed in their catalogue with a 6x2 chassis. Although Cararama do a day cab, it's the older 4 series, rather than the latest R series that the EWS ones are. Also, I've a feeling it may be a P-cab, with 3 grill slats rather than 4, so sits lower.

I've seen some of your projects on other threads, so I assume hacking a die cast about isn't too much trouble for you! The cab would need shortening to remove the bunk area, and also to take off the air kit and give it a flat roof, but I think the Scania website is pretty good for photos and drawings of various cabs - it's certainly been a good resource for me over the years. This may be useful http://www.scania.co.uk/trucks/main-components/cabs/day-cabs/r-day/index.aspx

Hi jo

Thanks for the useful tips. I got a cheapish (??15) Scania in white from Oxford at the recent swapmeet and took the hacksaw to it yesterday. The manufacturers plans were a big help, such a useful resourse for modern modeling. Looks good so far, photos when completed on here.

Cheers Merfyn.

cheers

jo

Hello

Probably this is not of much use to the EWS era but in BR days, late 80s to mid 90s my company did the transport for Railpart at Doncaster using flat trailers and low line tautliners to carry spares on regular overnight runs to BR depots across the country. The T/liners had to be low to get under the low arches that led into a lot of these depots. We also moved a lot of wheel sets on 40ft flats. The company was called Swifts in those days, nowadays we are Norbert Dentressangle. The contract has long gone as well, I have no idea who does it nowadays or where it runs out of.

Cheers

George

Hello

Probably this is not of much use to the EWS era but in BR days, late 80s to mid 90s my company did the transport for Railpart at Doncaster using flat trailers and low line tautliners to carry spares on regular overnight runs to BR depots across the country. The T/liners had to be low to get under the low arches that led into a lot of these depots. We also moved a lot of wheel sets on 40ft flats. The company was called Swifts in those days, nowadays we are Norbert Dentressangle. The contract has long gone as well, I have no idea who does it nowadays or where it runs out of.

Cheers

George

Good old "nobbys dressing table" (Norbert Dentressangle)

Happy New Year George :-)

Archived