• RMweb Premium

This is a project to build a layout based upon the workings of a modern infrastructure depot and sidings in 00. Hopefully with most of the work within the next 2-3 years or so, as long as I have a good following wind and there are no unforeseen delays.

Over the last few years, it's something I've been looking at off and on and now the time has finally come to begin proper work. Especially with the likes of recent r-t-r offerings such as JNA, JJA and MRA, along with Cambrian Salmons.

As yet, there's no plan, but I've been studying track layouts of Whitemoor, Hinksey, Guide Bridge, Fairwater, Basford Hall, Doncaster Decoy, Tyne yard and York South yard amongst others, with lots of time on Google Earth of other locations also. The end result will try and take the best bits from each into a workable space. Obviously, it'll be nowhere near as large as these establishments and the model will probably be based upon multiples of 5 bogie wagons - the provisional layout requirement will be for 10-wagon sets, but there may be an option for 15, if space allows.

Inspiration will also come from the likes of Tonbridge West Yard - both model and full size.

It'll probably be built using Peco code 75 and DCC controlled.

My musings in the next few weeks will probably be stock and plan based.

Please feel free to add suitable comments along the way.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It's likely that elements of Whitemoor will be used - especially the entrance pointwork (with due respect to Will Vale's Whitemarsh). I like the idea of a triangle for the entry, as it allows the layout to be part of the grand master plan of a larger roundy-roundy. The Wisbech branch at the side is a simple way of providing a bit of passenger interest - 153/156 or similar. Another option is that the branch could be electrified and feature a 350.

As first built, I'll probably have an out and back storage/fiddle yard area to make it easy to operate to/from the main scenic areas.

I've been researching the locos and stock that frequent the prototype Whitemoor and a large part of my existing collection can be used.

GBRf, EWS/DBS, Freightliner, DRS all make appearances, with classes 08, 20/3, 37, 47, 57, 60, 66, 67 & 73 all making appearances. A wagon list will be next.

The first "true" Langmoor loco will be the Hunslet Engine Company's 08401.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darlo2009/6042556579/

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I know this picture angle is not original, but I've finally got my own.........

This is the entrance to Whitemoor NTMRC (National Track Materials Recycling Centre). I like the trackplan (as do many others!) and I'm likley to use it as a basis for the yard throat, although it may be a mirror image.

post-408-0-09596400-1341869060_thumb.jpg

The line on the far lower left is the headshunt, the next line in is access to/from the Peterborough direction. The line on the right is eastbound towards March station

A closer shot shows the disused and overgrown branch to Wisbech on the right.

post-408-0-86799300-1341869118_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of passenger interest at Phase 1 (Phase 2, or maybe 3 is the full roundy-roundy). This may end up being electrified to provide a use for my Desiro. The wooden barriers are sound proofing for the local residents and with a suitable quantity of trees may provide an ideal rear scenic backdrop.

A few hundred yards away is Network Rail's March P-way depot, wlhich provides suitable inspiration for an office block.

post-408-0-65411200-1341869386_thumb.jpg

Version 1 1a of the trackplan has been sketched. No doubt there'll be a few amendments before it moves to the PC stage - probably using Anyrail to lay it out.

Other pictures of Whitemoor are near impossible due to the level of vegetation and other shielding, such as embankments - necessitated by the need to reduce the impact of sound/noise on the local neighbourhood. There are a few internal photos of the yard on the net which give a flavour of what's in there!

http://www.flickr.co...260/5819906316/

I think I may need a few more JNA's and awaiting Cambrian's YQA Parr kit.

Cheers,

Mick

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been researching the locos and stock that frequent the prototype Whitemoor and a large part of my existing collection can be used.

The first "true" Langmoor loco will be the Hunslet Engine Company's 08401.

And here it is:

I had the chance to buy a Hornby sound fitted 08 a few weeks ago - R2977XS D3511.

D3511 was later renumbered to 08396, so a close relation to 08401 and as such, has the correct arrangement of doors and boxes.

Here's the list of jobs to transform it from D3511 to 08401:

Remove ladders at side of radiator.

Remove middle lamp irons/lamps - both lower and upper. Touch up black/yellow as required.

Remove buffers and replace with 330mm Oleo.

Remove D3511 and British Railways emblems.

Fit 2/3 height handrail to sides of radiator.

Renumber to 08401, including data panel and "TM" Tremorfa depot sticker

Add "Hunslet" legend (including warning labels) to battery boxes.

Add "Main Tank", "Service Tank" and "Fuel Oil Service valve" legends.

Add new style OLE flash.

Add orange stripe.

Paint door handrails and lamp brackets white.

Paint conduit and lamps orange.

Paint cranks red.

Paint water filler and gauge mid blue.

Paint cab roof black.

White transfers for the cabside and battery box details were sourced via John Peck at Precision labels.

Oleo buffers are from MJT.

OLE transfers are Fox.

Before:

post-408-0-57081900-1344467457.jpg

I created the Hunslet lettering and associated warning flashes with Serif Page Plus and sent them off to John Peck who refined the artwork and printed them out, along with a few other small white transfers, including the data panel, shed sticker and number.

After:

post-408-0-54576000-1344467507.jpg

Thanks to Alex Hall and Paul Cheffus via the DEMu forum for detail of the loco and Hunslet markings.

To use a phrase from another RMWebber - I "accidentally" purchased a (Hatton's bargain) sound fitted Freighliner 57/0 to convert to DRS 57004 which has featured at Whitemoor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpb2011/6737841505/

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. The trackplan is comong along slowly - details soon I hope.

• RMweb Premium

Although it's a project I did a couple of years ago, I feel it needs resurrecting as they are relevant to Langmoor and I may build a few more (especially as they are continually appearing by my back door as part of an ongoing relaying project about 15 miles away).

YKA Osprey conversions from Cambrian C88 YSA Salmon kits

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25123-yka-ospreys/&do=findComment&comment=255360

The prototype inspiration Whitemoor is a relatively modern yard and all the photos I can find seem to have "working" wagons, but I want to have a couple of sidings with the likes of a Shark or Sturgeon tucked out of the way in an unloved (i.e. vandalised) state. These will appear on this thread in due course.

Next wagon kit I'm looking forward to is the YLA Parr from Cambrian, unless I get impatient and convert a Borail. Next RTR wagon should be the Dapol MRA.

Other wagon projects beginning to surface include JJA-HQA Autoballaster conversions, once the next couple of months is out of the way - with four exhibitions, 3 for Blackmill and 1 for New Bryford coming up

Cheers,

Mick

Good stuff.

I remember seeing a photo in one of the 80s freight books with a photo of the yard throat, saying how the whitemoor yard was on it's last legs but freight on the wisbech branch was doing well........how times change !

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any updates for us fella?

David

Hi David,

Busy doing stuff for two upcoming exhibitions with Blackmill and New Bryford. I have a provisional trackplan sketched out but this is dependent upon available space and arrangement of storage/fiddle yard to make the layout interesting to operate as well as allowing future inclusion in a bigger (maybe) project.

I'm fairly close to deciding what I think will work, but until then, I'm keeping the trackplan under wraps.

However, most of my future stock planning for BM and NB will include for use on Langmoor. Apart from my new 67. I have a pic of 67020 leaving Whitemoor on a trainload of Salmons, but a friend has already done 020, which has the odd foray on BM.

The scenic stuff is also being considered - Whitemoor has again provided inspiration. I like the idea of a high wall with barbed wire and CCTV as scenic end to the layout, but photos of prison walls are hard to come by..........

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As mentioned elsewhere, Langmoor is on hold at the moment as it may be incorporated into another larger layout idea.

Having said that, I may just suddenly build baseboards - who knows what 2013 will bring?

Cheers,

Mick

• 5 months later...

Archived