Best 08 sound project?

gronk the shunter

Having blown £150 on a Hornby 08, I've got to say I'm unhappy with the sound, too tinny in general and a truly terrible horn which sounds to me like a nintendo sound effect! Obviously all these things are subjective and one man's silk purse is another's sow's ear, but there must be a consensus on how to improve what's there. I've read the thread on here that was started when they were released, but that ended quite a while ago and i'm betting things have moved on since then.

I'm thinking a better/bigger speaker would improve things, or what about the cube speaker offered by zimo (i think)?

The sounds probably need to be reblown too. Whilst the actual engine sounds seem ok, there's very little else to play with, which makes me feel a bit short changed compared with the amount of features on more recent sound projects.

So what do you think? what's the best plan of action?

Have a look at legomanbiffo on utube. In fact have a look at all the 08 sounds out their before you send it of for a reblow. I had the Hornby sound 08 and it got some things like notching witch are good that you will loss if you reblow it. Mine now as legomanbiffo sound in it and it's very impressive.

• RMweb Premium

Try a properly enclosed speaker first. No point in reblowing the chip if the speaker set-up is pants as you will just end up with a different set of tinny sounds.

Cheers

Dave

Mr Gronk,

I would echo Dave's comments. A significant part of the problem with factory fitted sound locos is poorly designed speaker fits which you can often remedy yourself at little or no cost. He's also right that you will probably swap one set of tinny sounds for another if you don't do this. Find the speaker in the Hornby model and make the speaker airtight using blu-tac or a flexible filler. Make sure you don't get any on the cone though, which must be able to move freely without tocuching anything. Can someone enlighten me as to where the speaker is in the Hornby loco, in the nose presumably?

Bif

The speaker is behind the front grill.

It is far too small, it really needs throwing away and get yourself a 23mm round speaker. Fit it inside the cab, simple to do and sounds so much better.

You will still need to have the chip reprogrammed as the Hornby sounds are poor, - a good speaker will not make poor sounds, sound better - it will just highlight the problem, - the old addage of garbage in garbage out!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think it'll end up with a reblow, but first changing the speaker seems a low cost and logical way forward. I know I'm showing my ignorance here but in regards to speakers, will a standard 23mm round one be sufficient or do I need a bass reflex one? I know little or nothing about them and the quality on youtube is so poor it's hard to tell much difference.

Also in regard to a re-blow, who do one with a better horn ?, I can't stand the high pitched toot, even if it is correct for some shunters

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think it'll end up with a reblow, but first changing the speaker seems a low cost and logical way forward. I know I'm showing my ignorance here but in regards to speakers, will a standard 23mm round one be sufficient or do I need a bass reflex one? I know little or nothing about them and the quality on youtube is so poor it's hard to tell much difference.

Also in regard to a re-blow, who do one with a better horn ?, I can't stand the high pitched toot, even if it is correct for some shunters

Probably Howes even thout the SWDigital is cheaper. Charlie DC Kits.

I had the Hornby sound 08 and it got some things like notching witch are good that you will loss if you reblow it. Mine now as legomanbiffo sound in it and it's very impressive.

Notching can be added back in using CV settings: made much easier if you can hook up a computer to your DCC system and programming track and use Decoder Pro where you can simply choose the function numbers you wish to do the notching and tick the checkboxes. I have added notching to a couple of diesels that didn't otherwise have it enabled, without losing any other functions.

Archived