Wellingborough Roundhouse

There was a thread on the old Rmwebsite about Midland Roundhouses which included photos of Wellingborough No2 Roundhouse. I believe this building is still in use as a warehouse by a transport company. Can anyone tell me the name of the business currently using the building. A telephone number for the business would also be useful but not essential.

Many thanks,

Barrowroad.

• RMweb Premium

There was a thread on the old Rmwebsite about Midland Roundhouses which included photos of Wellingborough No2 Roundhouse. I believe this building is still in use as a warehouse by a transport company. Cna anyone tell me the name of the business currently using the building. A telephone number for the business would also be useful but not essential.

Many thanks,Barrowroad.

Hi 82E. Have you tried using that Google Earth map thingy which might reveal a name on a truck or something? A call to Northamptonshire CC might get you some info (or Wellingborough District Council if that exists?)

I lived there for some years in the 70's and have some info if that might be of any use?

Sincerely, Phil R.

Hi 82E. Have you tried using that Google Earth map thingy which might reveal a name on a truck or something? A call to Northamptonshire CC might get you some info (or Wellingborough District Council if that exists?)

I lived there for some years in the 70's and have some info if that might be of any use?

Sincerely, Phil R.

Thanks Phil, I tried Google Earth with no success. I want to contact the current owners to ask about a possible visit to take some measurements of the roof support columns etc, but first I need to check if they are still intact or have been replaced.

Regards,

Robin

Hello

Are you sure it is a roundhouse? There is the old steam shed there as well as the disused diesel depot. I think it used to be used by Whitworths in the past but I don't know who uses it now. There also used to be a pallet recycling company on the site as well . The access is off Mill Lane left just over the railway bridge. It was still in use the last time I was there as there were a considerable number of trucks and vans going in and out. I have checked in the Yellow Pages under various headings but can't find anything.

Cheers

George

Hello

Are you sure it is a roundhouse? There is the old steam shed there as well as the disused diesel depot. I think it used to be used by Whitworths in the past but I don't know who uses it now. There also used to be a pallet recycling company on the site as well . The access is off Mill Lane left just over the railway bridge. It was still in use the last time I was there as there were a considerable number of trucks and vans going in and out. I have checked in the Yellow Pages under various headings but can't find anything.

Cheers

George

Hi George,

The building I am interested in is definitely the old No2 Midland Roundhouse. I think I have some photos taken when it was used by the pallet recycling firm but the only transport firm I can find is Key Area Logistics of 1 Mill Road Wellingborough NN8 1QW. The postcode on multimap shows this to be near to the old roundhouse.

Thanks for your efforts,

Cheers,

Robin

• 1 month later...

Robin,

It was a few years ago when I was round the roundhouse last, but at that time it was leased to Whitworth Foods who used it to de-contaminate imports, killing off spiders and the like with some nasty gas! As such it was not permanently staffed. It was only an outside store of Whitworths so the contact number would be their main operation at Irthlinborough, ask for the warehouse manager whose name I can't quite remember......

Good luck, its definately worth a visit just to look at the roof timbers! If that fails try the local council as it is a listed building and they might have details, incidentally it was definately leased from the BRB or whatever they are now called, at a VERY cheap rate.

The pallet firm were just using the yard and did not have access to the building, I have a feeling they may have closed down, I hope so as pallets are a high risk business (fire from local kids etc) so are a risk to the building.

Love to know if you do get round and I am sure the Midland Railway Society would be interested.........

Cheers Tony

Robin,

Can't help with current occupiers but I do have a few pics taken in the early sixties on a 'school trip'. I will pop them in the post. Very impressed with your progress. Structures on Bruckless Junction are coming on, I must get round to starting a blog!

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

By the looks of things it has now become a washing machine recycling facility. Can't remember the name of the company etc.

Years ago you used to be able to drive down quite easily and have a look around as well as the diesel depot at the back and the remaining offices. Now it's all fenced off and the drive way is gated too.

Robin,

It was a few years ago when I was round the roundhouse last, but at that time it was leased to Whitworth Foods who used it to de-contaminate imports, killing off spiders and the like with some nasty gas! As such it was not permanently staffed. It was only an outside store of Whitworths so the contact number would be their main operation at Irthlinborough, ask for the warehouse manager whose name I can't quite remember......

Good luck, its definately worth a visit just to look at the roof timbers! If that fails try the local council as it is a listed building and they might have details, incidentally it was definately leased from the BRB or whatever they are now called, at a VERY cheap rate.

The pallet firm were just using the yard and did not have access to the building, I have a feeling they may have closed down, I hope so as pallets are a high risk business (fire from local kids etc) so are a risk to the building.

Love to know if you do get round and I am sure the Midland Railway Society would be interested.........

Cheers Tony

Tony,

Thanks for this information. I will contact Whitworths and see if they will let me have a look round.

Cheers,

Robin

Hi there,

By the looks of things it has now become a washing machine recycling facility. Can't remember the name of the company etc.

Years ago you used to be able to drive down quite easily and have a look around as well as the diesel depot at the back and the remaining offices. Now it's all fenced off and the drive way is gated too.

Hi there 46444,

Is this company just using the yard - see Rail Onlines post above - to store the old washing machines or are they using the shed building as well? If so do you have the name of the business and any contact details please?

Cheers,

Robin

Robin,

Can't help with current occupiers but I do have a few pics taken in the early sixties on a 'school trip'. I will pop them in the post. Very impressed with your progress. Structures on Bruckless Junction are coming on, I must get round to starting a blog!

John

Thanks John, much appreciated.

I look forward to you starting your blog. I have started work again on the track base pending arrival of the roundhouse buildings. I am in the process of cutting some more of the yellow foam board to raise the ground surface around the incline sections at the entrance to the shed. Before doing this I cut out some sections of the baseboard surface and re-glued some 6mm ply to the upper surface in order to make it easier to fix the tortoise motors. It would have been easier to ignore the incline but.......

Regards,

Robin

Archived