Class 60 Packaging

leavesontheline

I have bought three Hornby Class 60's in recent years and think they're cracking models. I also think these models are very well protected in their packaging with the plastic end plates and so on, but my most recent acquisition held a couple of extra pieces of foam-rubber which for a little while led me to think I had a faulty model on my hands (Hornby Class 43 transit bracket screws touching the flywheel anyone?!).

My latest model, R3051, 60033 Tees Steel Express, was carefully removed from packaging, checked for transit plates, screws, bits of stray styrene or tissue paper etc, placed on track but then took a (relatively) huge amount of current just to move off and then moved slightly jerkily and not at all quickly, even at MAX on the controller (Gaugemaster Combi). 'Odd' I thought, as these models are the smoothest most refined mechanisms in my collection and usually move quietly off with minimal input. I turned it upside-down, checked for free play in all the axles (I assumed it was mechanical as the directional LED's illuminated almost instantaneously), could see no problems so decided it was a 'body off' job to look at the motor, driveshafts etc.

It was only when I had actually removed the body from the chassis and was inspecting the bogies that I saw the black rectangular pieces of neoprene-foam type material sandwiched tightly between the outermost axle and the chassis frame under the cab floor at both ends! D'oh! That will be what's stopping the wheels from turning properly then! I can only assume they are there to stop the bogies from rattling around during transit but I just wonder how many less experienced folk out there have Class 60's which they just think are rubbish performers?! Maybe over time these pieces of foam would have worked their way out or just worn away but they were certainly pretty well hidden up there and quite well 'stuck' in place due to a thin coating of oil!

Anybody else found this?

If you think your Hornby Class 60 performance is poor, check for these bits of foam first!

My model of 60033 is just as fantastic a runner as the other two now.

I'm sure my 60s - bought when they first came out - all had these.

Confirmed I have had the same experience with packing pieces in situ, , no problems encountered with running just remove the protective packing before using!

Archived