Is D9009 running on the mainline on 25/07/12?

I'm sure I read a month or so back in a magazine that D9009 was running a London - Edinburgh excursion with Tornado on the return trip.

It's my day off so I thought I might go to Colton Junction and watch one if not both passing by at speed.

Can anyone confirm if the trip is running and if so, roughly what time will it pass Colton?

Cheers.

Sean.

I've had what say they are confirmed timings, starts earlier and arrives back later

06:50 out of KX

08:04 P'boro

10:05 York

11:13 Durham

13:40 Edinburgh - 6:50 for the Deltic?

15:58 return

18:58 Durham

19:58 York

? P'boro unclear

00:05 KX

Previously the arrival was somewhere around 22:50 at KX which gave us a chance to get home, 00:05 is a bit of a joke just like Tornado being advertised as running from Lewes a few weeks ago. As far as we can tell RA9 locos are not allowed down their anyway, so it wouldn't have turned up even if it had been fit to run. What a con. I'm a bit disgruntled as you might tell.

Caught 9009 thrumming through Rugby at 13.20, it crept along the Up Slow then the driver opened her up a touch - the sound was very evocative of times past, even though it was traveling light engine ;)

Any photo's Nidge? Tried to send the wife up, but as usual it fell on deaf ears! :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I managed to see both the Deltic and Tornado in Edinburgh. Both locos were throwing a fair amount of muck out. The northbound service was around 10 minutes late, while the return leg was around 5 down leaving the city.

The sun brought out a few folk to watch, although the enthusiastic use of the whistle attracted a lot of interest from the neighbouring government and council offices. There was a good mood around and plenty of positive chat with Transport Police and railway staff.

Regards,

Alex.

post-16293-0-43830300-1343236194.jpg

post-16293-0-47200400-1343236241.jpg

Was lucky enough to catch D9009 at Rugby when it was running light to London. Was a lovely surprise on what was a very nice (and very hot) day! As Nidge says, made a lovely noise accelerating away from the station.

The shot's not the best as it's a crop of my photo. Should've been a bit more zoomed in!

post-7258-0-80280800-1343249439_thumb.jpg

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Tornado was about 30 down at Retford last evening. It sounded so smooth going up Gamston that I really thought that a 67 had been attached, but no. :stinker: 163 must be 'tuned' perfectly (valves set absolutely right I suspect).

Beautiful shots in Auld Reekie by the way - thanks.

P @ 36E

Well you did rather better than me Andy! We could still here it at the north end as it accelerated up the Northampton line.... ;)

Thanks Nidge! Was certainly a lovely noise, and a decent amount of smoke!

Andy.

Archived