Peco Platform Edging

Hi,

I am at the stage where I want to put the platform in place on my layout, I am using concrete sides by peco, I have a couple of questions to ask those who are more knowledgable than me.

Firstly what is the best way you have found of fixing them in place, Pins? glue? pins & glue? or some other way??

Secondly once you have your edging in place how do you get the platform surface to fit so well? I should imagine I will be using some sort of card but once again I'm interested to know how you do it please.

Thanks in anticipation of your help and info.

Cheers

Scott

I pin them in place and then use cheap superglue along the back edge (the side hidden under the platform surface). For the surface itself, I use plasticard - there's a certain thickness that fits perfectly. I make a template out of cereal packet card first, and fill in any gaps with wall filler.

• RMweb Premium

For my recent-ish fitting of the self same platform edges to my Sayersbridge layout, I used hot glue via a hot glue gun to fix the sides in place, then used bracing made of plasticard to provide some central support for the platform surface. I used 1mm plasticard for the surface, spray painted with a texture paint from B&Q. I am less convinced of the surface now though, so once I'm off my modelling hiatus I will sand down the current surface and try something different.

Here is the posting on RMweb3: Old Thread Here

I used balsa for the platform surface cant remember thickness off hand and painted it with masonary paint. Edges were glued against off cuts of wood as in pics below.

post-6689-12613231418888_thumb.jpg

post-6689-12613232495827_thumb.jpg

What are the backscenes you used?. they are just what I need for my new layout, thanks torkardlane .

GM 704 Large village backscene from Gaugemaster. I used wallpaper paste to fix on and found when it had dried there was slight shrinkage, maybe I used to much I dont know but I still like it.

Thanks for that, I'll order some when I pick up my TORNADO tomorrow.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Ian

What is the stone effect paint you used? One of the plasticote range? It looks ideal for somehting I have coming up :D

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

What is the stone effect paint you used? One of the plasticote range? It looks ideal for somehting I have coming up :D

Cheers

Jim

It was Plasticote, yes. 'Gotham Grey'. I thought it would be the right kind of texture for what I wanted, but it proved too rough even once sanded down, so I'm going to try their 'Suede' one next.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Ian

Thats what I use for tarmac and concrete. I'll get some gotham grey though as It might be just what I need for the rendered concrete on the pallasades walls, thanks for the tip ;)

Cheers

Jim

platform%20ends%202.jpg

Archived