Howes DS Class 40 chip

DIRTY DIESEL

Hi All,

My Howes class 40 chip which has been working without a fault in my Bachy 40 has suddenly started to misbehave.

The problem seemed to start after it was run on DC (by mistake it was on the same track as I moved my CEP), as when I put it back on to DCC all the functions were all on the wrong function buttons and the horn would sound as I put it on the track.

For some strange reason if you turn the sound off and run it without sound and then start the sound when its moving everything corrects its self and works as normal, this only works though if you keep it on address 03 (long or short), becuase soon as you try to re address it to another address bar 3/03 it will stop working correctly.

I don't want to try a factory reset as I might loose the Howes sounds, it was bought in May 2010 so I don't think it will keep its sounds like the latter ones do.

I have a NCE Power Cab & Pro Cab plus a seperate Prog Track so I can read back cv's

thanks

Stu.

• RMweb Gold

From bryan at howes.....

As Ed says all Howes decoders after July 2009 can be CV8 reset this should  resolve the issue, it has been known for things to go  awry when used on DC then back to DCC, with an NCE Power cab the CV8 reset should be done on the programming track.

Bryan

Ed, Jim & Bryan,

Thanks for all your help its now fixed.

I doubled checked my rept and it said May 2009 so I did n't want to risk the reset.

I installed Decoder Pro on my lap top a few years ago,it does n't seem to want to work now. But when it did I copied all my loco roster on to my lap top, so I copied the cv's which had been on there on to my faulty loco writing them all down as I went.

And its done the trick as my 40 is whistling away under its proper address.

Iv disabled DC running on it just in case it happens again.

Thanks

Stu

Archived