Tour Watch 2012

Pacific231G

Am I the only person crazy enough to watch Eurosport's coverage of the Tour with an intent eye open for spotting railways? This year seemed a bit thin and, though the route paralleled several lines including at least two abandoned but not dismantled, I saw only one train actually operating. This was a freight on the Rhone right bank line. The usual give away is PN number so and so- indicating a level crossing- on the time schedule though I think they're getting less common - possibly as disused freight only lines finally close- and they're frustratingly often concentrated in the first flat part of the run that's not usually covered.

Stage 17 though was shown in its entirety and included some interesting shots before Km 0 of the terminus at Bagnères-de-Luchon with a set of coaches in the sidings. The route crossed this line on level crossings several times and I was trying to figure out how the Tour avoids timetable clashes with SNCF. However, at this time of year services on the line normally consist of a single TER working and an overnight Lunea sleeper service to and from Paris which I thought explained the parked four or five coach set but apparently the line is closed for "works" until November. Even in normal service It hardly seems worth energising the overhead for four trains a day though the scenery on the line itself looks like it would be worth the trip.

Guest Natalie Graham
The route crossed this line on level crossings several times and I was trying to figure out how the Tour avoids timetable clashes with SNCF.

It doesn't always. One year there was a rider with a big lead on a potentially successful solo breakaway who approached a level crossing just as the barriers came down and all he could do was wait until the train had passed and the peleton had caught up.

• RMweb Premium

While watching the end of stage 18 at Brive the route went alongside the line for the final stretch. I didn't see many trains but did see one shunter in Green and Grey. There are often some good aerial shots after the finish of the stage. Yesterday after Wiggins' fantastic victory there was the usual fly aroubd the centre of Chartres with the railway station featuring just beyond the cathedral. Today as well as being glued to the cycling side of things I will be watching for all the Paris suburban and main line networks that they cross as they get into the city.

And to answer your question you aren't the only one who looks for the railway content among the cycling.

Jamie

I saw several lines here and there when watching, but only saw one train. I think it was in the Rhone area, it was a blue streamlined thing wizzing past over a flyover as the bikes headed away from it.

We were in France last year and caught the TGV from Lille to Paris, and enjoyed several Metro rides.

All enjoyable watching. Shame Cadel Evans didn't have team mates to help him.

Congratulations to B Wiggins, first englishman to win (I think), if nothing else happens.

Mark in OZ

There was an impressive single-line (?) viaduct which the helicopter camera lingered on for a moment, I think about Wed-Thurs of the last week. Looked like weeds and trees beginning to grow up in the trackbed though.

There was an impressive single-line (?) viaduct which the helicopter camera lingered on for a moment, I think about Wed-Thurs of the last week. Looked like weeds and trees beginning to grow up in the trackbed though.

I think I know the one you mean. I believe it was Blazy Viaduct.

post-91-0-64772200-1342950275_thumb.png

The riders were cycling along the D820 to the west of the viaduct.

post-91-0-05494000-1342950362_thumb.png

There's a few more impressive viaducts around Blazy as well.

The viaduct was at Souillac on the line to St. Denis pres Martel. According to the RFF route map this line is closed but not declassé as far as Martel from where the final 8 kilometres are owned and operated by the Chemin de Fer Touristique de Haute Quercy a non profit preservation based in the Martel goods shed that looks worth a visit as it runs through fairly spectacular scenery.

The Tour did of course follow part of the Montpelier-Narbonne main line from Séte to near Agde and I think there was a train on that.

I did notice the closed line west from Rives running parallel to the tour route near to Grenoble Airport and it was later that day that a train was encountered on the Rhone right bank freight only main line (though possibly not freight only for much longer) just south of St. Rambert d'Albon. That is of course the busy electrified line that used to be shared a bit further south at Tournon by the metre gauge Vivarais.

What did strike me on Stage 17 was just how close to the road and undivided from it the line from Luchon was as were several other more important lines.

Stage 10 also passed Culoz where there seemed to be a lot of possibly derelict stock in the extensive yards.

Of course I watch the race as well as the scenery and the odd level crossing and it became a lot more significant this year. Barring some catastrophe it's great to have a British winner at last after 109 years. Vive le Gentleman!

On the flat stage down to the Med.coast at Cap d'Agde, the final several kilometres were run alongside what I belive is the main line between Perpignan and Montpellier. The helicopter shots clearly show an eastbound freight headed by a Veolia E36500 electric.

We also saw an e.m.u in Paris at the point where they went past the HQ of the company that organises 'Le Tour'

Also, can someone please answer me a question about part of the tour route. There was a section of climbing out of a river valley where there were literally several hairpin bends 'piled' one on top of the other. Can anyone tell me where this was, please.

The travelogue is a great 'add-on' to the Tour. Paul Sherwen must send a great deal of time studying the guide books. The older buildings in towns and villages seem to reflect a sense of community, in that many of them are joined to next door even to the extent that they follow the curve of the street or the road. At one point a large barn had to form a shallow 'v' shape to remain alongside the route.

Coach trips across France have convinced me that there are no planning laws !

I kept my eyes open while on the stage into Foix, my grandparents live quite close and is a route i've not been on in years, but nothing operating unfortunately, which sounds about right as i hardly see anything even when in the car.

Sam

Also recall seeing a Swiss (SBB) 'Flirt' unit passing under the Tour route as the leader came into the Swiss town of Porrentruy. With the train drawing to a halt as the station, Thibaut Pinot was going somewhat faster than the train!

Archived