Layout signalling Validation

Guest Moria

Guest Moria

Graham

Just looking at your plan, might I suggest you put a loco spur in the top left corner of the fiddle yard. That way you can bring a preserved train into one of the yard sidings then run the loco off the spur and back it on to the train. This will cut down on the amount of stock handling you need to do, though you may need to bring the road bridge forwards slightly to enable the entire move to take place "off stage".

Richard

Very interesting idea Richard.

I was thinking that for each terminating train in the fiddle yard, I would run a replacement from the shed/turntable area out to the train for the return, and then release the loco from the train back to the turntable and shed to turn it, so each terminating train would have 2 locos (if that makes sense), but a loco spur makes a lot of sense.. thank you for that, let me have a think and see what I can come up with, as I may well be able to take it from the left most road within the yard area, as there will be plenty of room for shuffling in that area.

Thanks again

Regards

Graham

Guest Moria

Righto, me back for another attempt :)

Track has been amended and now looks like this (awful picture, apologies) :-

IMG_0851.jpg

Which, diagramatically becomes this :-

WestEnd-1.jpg

So...

a) main line arrival.. 3 aspect with RH FI and sub signal (sub can have stencil indicator?)

b & c) 3 aspect with sub signal

d) advanced starter preserved line single arm with S arm below for shunting past

e) preserved line arrival single arm, wrong sided with RI box and possibly calling on arm for platform only use.

f) shunt disc or single arm with O for loop exit.

g & h) single arm starters

j) 2 shunt discs in between tracks, 1 in each direction with ground frame

Am assuming all single arm signals can also act as shunt signals so no additional ground discs required.

Ground frame operation of crossing between main line and preserved line.

All pointwork in preserved yard area hand operated and lots of waving to give right of way to locos.

Assuming the above, theres a long lead which doesn't really show in the diagram, but on the photo can be seen between the crossover and the preserved platform point. Can e) move into this area and just have a ground disc for the crossover between the main and preserved? That would allow a lot more room for shunting and would allow me to place the signal right side in the almost oval area between the main and preserved lines?

Thanks Mike.

Regards

GRaham

• RMweb Gold

Graham comments below are solely in respect of any alterations which need to be made to your list above - the rest of it is spot on, honest!

Signal a - would need a stencil indicator below the sub to illuminate only when admitting a second train towards Line 2.

Signal e - the way you've done it is correct (or optimum is probably a better word). The alternative would possibly look over-signalled as you would beed a sempahorre running signal at e plus a ground disc to read through the crossover then a second running signal (with RI etc) at the toe of the points leading off to Line 5. You could, Ithink, as a 'preservation special' do it the way you describe but in real life the locking would be more complicated and I bet a double disc would be used at e.

And that's it!!!!

Guest Moria

Thanks so much Mike.

Now I can get on with installing signals and ballasting, tidying up and painting. Then I can start cleaning it all off again so it actually runs :jester:

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Premium

okayyyy west end diagram, and again, my thoughts for correction on this nightmare (well to me anyway).

WestEnd.jpg

Lines 3 and 4 terminate, lines 1 and 2 go through to the previous discussion.

Regards to all

Graham

I note that your platform 1 has track 1 passing through it and Platform 2 has track 2 passing through. That isn't the case with your first drawing, which had the tracks numbered the opposite (Canadian? :sungum: ) way.

Sorry to be picky, but I'm sure the signalman would get confused!

Guest Moria

I note that your platform 1 has track 1 passing through it and Platform 2 has track 2 passing through. That isn't the case with your first drawing, which had the tracks numbered the opposite (Canadian? :sungum: ) way.

Sorry to be picky, but I'm sure the signalman would get confused!

You are quite right :)

I got them wrong way round first diagram and swapped it to be correct on the second diagram. My own fault for splitting it into 2 parts and doing the first diagram late at night. I would hate to confuse any of the signalling fraternity and so the final diagrams will all be correctly numbered and rely on the platform number, not the track number :)

Regards

Graham

Archived