Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

On 12/05/2023 at 22:01, southern42 said:

Question Time!

The first of the bits of detailing concerns the axle boxes.  In 2011, what colour? Most photos of individual hoppers of my little rake were taken in 2013 or later. Long rakes of hoppers on camera in 2011 give the impression of that the reddy maroon colour was common by then. Is there a paint name/code for this so that I can check it out?

In the meantime, I have managed to track down a loco in EWS livery to haul the hoppers down GWRd's branch line, as it did in the real world, and will, hopefully, be pre-ordering it very soon - six six zero zero one! Happy Happy Happy. Super Happy. Whether the hoppers of my little rake was among this lot, or not, I may never know, but the axle boxes are definitely reddy maroon in 2011!

66001 at kensington olympia

On its way to Brentford 31 05 2011 (Flickr)

Polly

I have been researching these and I think the majority if not all had the EWS maroon axle boxes by 2013. I know the repainted DB Schenker livery JGA’s kept the EWS axle boxes and these were done in 2015. 

Regarding 66001, if your referring to the Accurascale release it id only appropriate for the 1999 - 2001 ish - after that the grilles were standardised from then as per rest of the EWS 66 fleet repainted from maroon to black. It was also repainted into DB red in the early 2010’s. So you are best off getting the other EWS 66 Accurascale (66171) as this is modelled for the 2010’s period. 😃

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Another question. I hope someone can answer this.

Would a Siphon G have gone down the Brentford Branch at anytime?

Milk / other to Brentford Town Goods / Brentford Dock? 

I only recollect seeng smaller sized vans on Brentford trains in various photos, though you never really see the full length train.

Any chance of one being on the Paddington Goods train which came up the Branch from Brentford or were they on strictly passenger trains only?

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/05/2023 at 18:07, WCML100 said:

I have been researching these and I think the majority if not all had the EWS maroon axle boxes by 2013. I know the repainted DB Schenker livery JGA’s kept the EWS axle boxes and these were done in 2015. 

Regarding 66001, if your referring to the Accurascale release it id only appropriate for the 1999 - 2001 ish - after that the grilles were standardised from then as per rest of the EWS 66 fleet repainted from maroon to black. It was also repainted into DB red in the early 2010’s. So you are best off getting the other EWS 66 Accurascale (66171) as this is modelled for the 2010’s period. 😃

Thanks for the info, WCML100. Much appreciated,

I see what you mean about the grilles being black rather than red,

Another photo from 2011 indicates that No.1 was still in EWS livery (and with black grilles). Unless there are any other significant changes which would require much bashing about, I may get away with fudging it.... I would not object to repainting the grilles - the loco would be weathered, anyway.

27-05-2011 (Flickr)

Class 66, 66001

My, those orange boxes behind look grubby!

If I forgo the Accurascale model - though I doubt I will 🤣 - I shall just stick to my present fleet* of at least three in EWS livery to haul EWS liveried JGAs, JHAs, the London Binliner, Seacows, etc, and one in Freightliner livery for the Freightliner hoppers.

* Excluding Evening Star (GBRf, Locomotion pack)

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2023 at 22:02, southern42 said:

Another question. I hope someone can answer this.

Would a Siphon G have gone down the Brentford Branch at anytime?

Milk / other to Brentford Town Goods / Brentford Dock? 

I only recollect seeng smaller sized vans on Brentford trains in various photos, though you never really see the full length train.

Any chance of one being on the Paddington Goods train which came up the Branch from Brentford or were they on strictly passenger trains only?

Polly

Right faff running NPCCS ina freight train.  As  Siphons were coaching stick and there was plenty of ys use for them on  { Passenger rated traffic they certainly wouldn't be allowed to escape into the clutches of the Good.  

So the next question has to be if there was any large scale movement of Passenger Rated traffic to or from the Brentford branch in sufficient volumewa to warranta bogie vans.  I don't know the answer to that and what little I know about the branch suggests that there was noything there which would have generated or received Passenger Rated traffic in that sort of volume.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Mike. 

Passenger traffic to Brentford came to an end during WW2 in 1942 when the passenger trains consisted of auto coaches.  I have not come across any evidence of them with a Siphon G or any other van come to that. The only reference to milk in Diana Willment's book "Brentford Dock and Railway" is condensed milk, presumably from the former Nestlé factory.*

Will I get one? One could go into a display case behind a Hall, I suppose...

* Now apartment blocks.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

No milk van (yet) but I did acquire one of these to take your breath away when included in branchline traffic consisting of a variety of Warley wagons and other miscellaneous rolling stock.

IMG_7276a.jpeg.79a92aab5c2dcaba11102015ade86190.jpeg

Still waiting the arrival of the steam railmotor, the Manor, and the 1500. 

All of which is getting the brain cells moving - where to build the track. Ideas have been put forward as to swapping the use of bedrooms around. In other words, considering: which one for the GWRd railway; layout options; and where and how best to put all the "stuff". Choices, eh?

In this heat, 🥵 it is not my top priority! 🥵

But I have started thinking about it...

• Like 3