Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

I am getting myself psyched up to do some more detailing by familiarising myself with the components.  Reading the instructions will be a start!

First off, the bundle from Fox Transfers safely stapled together and reinforced with an extra piece of card.

IMG_1481.jpeg.ae8b9b7c50ba9c5d7b621483fde16f35.jpeg

And inside...

Cab plates, BR smokebox number plate, and panel for train reporting numbers.

IMG_1479.jpeg.2cf035de8bcf89efaec70292cd895d3f.jpeg

On another sheet, 81C Shed plate - blown up a bit!

IMG_1483.jpeg.ffb1f571dd45291d97ad939712aa0f85.jpeg

Reporting numbers and cab classification discs.

IMG_1480.jpeg.5438d8b01a22ca81cbe646c23e2f3ce5.jpeg

And lastly...

Midland Train reporting numbers & panel and Bufferbeam numbers.

IMG_1482.jpeg.7532321758d948a9dfb45d0cd7762bbb.jpeg

Looks like it is going to be fun, fun, fun.  Hmmm!  :scratchhead:

Take care and be safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

I have been offline for a bit doing some graphics for 9773.

Sometime ago, I started work on the headboard for the LCGB / REC Thames Valley Tour.  Over the last few days, I have been using the LCGB and REC websites to confirm Font Styles, together with photos of the tour, to gauge Font Sizes and size of headboard.  This was created to produce an approximate copy several inches long.  Scaling it down to loco size was a different matter with a lot of tweaking.

Eventually, I was satisfied enough to print out a sheet of headboard components: 'LC  GB' on a rectangle and 'REC' in a diamond.

IMG_1619.JPG.f82207b13e47e6af4f767253dd00ccc4.JPG

Top is the original design and is approximately 10mm and 11mm long. The headboard sticks out [Edit to add this bit!] over the lefthand edge of the bufferbeam so aligning will be interesting. [Close edit]

I made the font size larger (to counteract any ink bleed) for LCGB on the lower design though this makes the panel higher, and tweaked the width of the triangle to fit the gap between the LCGB letters.  I will also have to round off the corners as my Shape selection did not have suitable ones!

The black borders are simply to aid cutting since the LCGB panel has a white border and the white triangle has no border!  

Next, I will cut out some headboards, assemble and test for size and appearance on the loco.

The most successful, if I do not have to resize, will be mounted on plasticard and a slot made for the lamp bracket.  That is the plan, anyway!

Thanks for poop, poop, pooping in.

Keep well, play safe.

________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

Some results from yesterday.

IMG_1621b.jpeg.88271e26ecd11cef513f353e93c20270.jpeg

Near life size.  Not too bad?

Zoom out and it shows some bad cutting.

Top test (10mm long) is just the printed paper, diamond pasted on top of panel.

The white line on the panel is still surrounded by the black mask and the edges of the diamond have not cut clean.

IMG_1621a.jpeg.2b0a71466275ca77e332ece591d46dd1.jpeg

The lower test (12mm) is a cleaner cut but was pasted onto plasticard afterwards, then recut - and it shows!

I will have another go later today and paste the headboard onto plasticard before cutting and make life easier.

I will also cut out an 11mm one and see which of the three sizes fits best.

Take care, keep safe.

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

I am finally contemplating getting the LCGB REC headboard for 9773 done, today.  During the week, I noticed, from another photo of the loco, that what I believed to be a wooden headboard turns out to be a metal plate!  It is nothing more than the issue of sharpness, or rather lack of it, in some photos.  So, it was back to the laptop to have a go at creating some sort of relief to the LCGB letters and the edges of the headboard.  Having changed from Microsoft to a Mac, I have lost a variety of easy ways to add 3D effects, and my Mac attempts are not convincing when dealing with a drawing 50mm long let alone reduced to 11mm.

I have some prints to cut out so we shall see.  I may be able to add a thin rim on top afterwards to give it an appearance of being a plate.  Maybe I am being too fussy, but once something gets into my head it is not so easy to get rid of it.

Back later (I hope!) with some results.

________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

Another day passes with some progress.

To confirm what size to make the LCGB REC headboard, I resorted to taking a screenshot of the headboard to include loco no. (9773), buffer and headlamp.  This was for two reasons - to confirm the size of the headboard (10mm) and the position of the loco numbers which I will need to put on the bufferbeam.  Tiny, that is what they are and to be fitted between the buffer and central hook.  That will be fun!

991552664_LCGBRECHeadboardwithheadlampand9773a.png.3cebddaabc0427ea417291a25a6740d0.png

But, back to the headboard.

Test 1.  Four strips of paper pasted (PVA glue) round the outside of the panel and cut to size to see if it made a difference.

IMG_1662.jpeg.dc9cb2a88f19b34416b793b5262ebc34.jpeg

Test 2.  Print of headboard panel pasted onto plasticard.

IMG_1663a.jpeg.a99ca899303a46adc8eb2b0d1124bfa2.jpeg

Then strips of paper pasted round the rim of the panel and left to dry over night.  The ^ indicates: Do not use this edge (rough cut)!

IMG_1664a.jpeg.34f470215d27bcdc181ac12960c8aa98.jpeg

Everything cut away but a raised rim.

IMG_1665a.jpeg.c2a25c5a0f291843eb9471ab398f9fff.jpeg

The idea works although the print of the panel was not good and demanded a better one, and the cutting was not good either.  A new blade is required!

What I did find was that it was difficult to line up one of the strips between two other strips, so it seemed to be better to rotate them round the rim thus:

1581979526_LCGBHeadboardpanelMakingraisedrim.png.cf503a3fe0d306a60bfb02baf3324e37.png

Test 3.  Hopefully, this will be it!

I printed off a sharper image (as in the above) and pasted it to some plasticard (lightly sanded to take the PVA glue).  I am now waiting for the glue to dry over night.  I will tackle the next stage, tomorrow.  But it is now time for tea.

Thanks for Poop! Poop! Pooping in.

Take care, play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

Most of my modelling time, yesterday, seems to have been spent on the laptop, again.  The letters on the headboard panel were not printing out very well on the paper due to the texture of the paper and, I suspect, a bit of ink bleed.  I had already found that changing the font by just one size made the letters too big, and adding a shadow or a border (grey) made them worse.

Then I had a light bulb moment.  Add a border (which can be controlled by nths of a mm) around them in the same colour (white) - just enough to make them stand out a bit more without significantly altering the letter spacing and size of the headboard (which changing the font size did).   

I also made the panel border wider so that the black ink outside of it will not show through the white paper rim on top, aiming for a sharper image overall..  Things you find out in the making of something! 

The result was the best so far and I am happy to settle for that.

IMG_1675a.jpeg.612707a7f874b82391cd58665a44cedf.jpeg

First attempts to add the raised rim were a bit iffy but, hopefully, it will come right, today...and I have a new blade in the scalpel to work with.

Take care, play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

A few days since I last posted, time mostly spent cutting, trimming and waiting for glue to dry.

So a few pics to show off progress.

Among other things, I had a go at painting the paper to disguise the joins...

IMG_1704a.jpeg.878fdae3bcc7f348bea2f85cd23a3692.jpeg

but getting a consistently cut rim proved frustratingly difficult.

IMG_1705a.jpeg.cb390e752316dcdb1132681f32010508.jpeg

Change of plan, and although it means the relief is more out of scale, I tried using a narrowly cut strip of plasticard.

IMG_1706a.jpeg.177e64ba2ae8ef025b5058afd1b84ff4.jpeg

Really, I should have made another one with an even narrower strip but decided to call a halt on the process or I might be here for ever!

1309691642_IMG_1713ajpeg.jpeg.5deeba719dfc1138993144ceed1455de.jpeg

The finished headboard tried for size along with a headlamp for scale.  It is a tad larger than the photo but is closer to the correct size on the loco itself.  No photo as I knocked the REC diamond off when putting the headboard on the loco!  Re-glueing has taken place and I am waiting for the glue to dry, this time, before doing anything with it.  

IMG_1730a.jpeg.a33fc68b57167305d7b26d03e100fbfd.jpeg

The headlamp on the model of 9773 will be whiter than this with a clear lens as per the photo.

Next on the To Do list are the route numbers.

Thanks for Poop! Pooping in.

Take care, play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

What was I saying about rebuilds on your thread, Chris?

Well, it seems I may have to make a Modified LCGB REC headboard following in good old GWR tradition!

I was looking for a photo with a sharp image of the Train Reporting Number (1X06) and 

came across one on the RCTS collection: https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/5700-class-0-6-0pt/hA88A54A4#ha88a54a4.  I was looking to see what colour(s) the edge of the panel should be.

But...

my modelling mood collapsed!  :swoon:

I glanced down to the LCGB REC headboard and it looks like a print mounted on a board, after all!  

The letters have a grey shadow to the left, which you would not see in 3D from this angle, and on the top edge.  There seems to be shading round the white border although this may be the edge of the board or just photo blur.  The letters REC look grey rather than black, which is probably why they appear faint in other photos but there should be less messing about with a modified version of the headboard!  

Comments, views, knowledge, humour... welcome!

The photo also shows that the paint on the hinges, round the dart, and on the buffers is light grey rather than white.   At least,  I know that, now.

So, until sometime later...

Off to make a rhubarb crumble, now.  :nyam:

Thanks for Poop! Pooping in.  Hope you have had a good laugh if nothing else!

Take care, play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

' afternoon all.

What was I saying about rebuilds on your thread, Chris?

Well, it seems I may have to make a Modified LCGB REC headboard following in good old GWR tradition!

I was looking for a photo with a sharp image of the Train Reporting Number (1X06) and 

came across one on the RCTS collection: https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/5700-class-0-6-0pt/hA88A54A4#ha88a54a4.  I was looking to see what colour(s) the edge of the panel should be.

But...

my modelling mood collapsed!  :swoon:

I glanced down to the LCGB REC headboard and it looks like a print mounted on a board, after all!  

The letters have a grey shadow to the left, which you would not see in 3D from this angle, and on the top edge.  There seems to be shading round the white border although this may be the edge of the board or just photo blur.  The letters REC look grey rather than black, which is probably why they appear faint in other photos but there should be less messing about with a modified version of the headboard!  

Comments, views, knowledge, humour... welcome!

The photo also shows that the paint on the hinges, round the dart, and on the buffers is light grey rather than white.   At least,  I know that, now.

So, until sometime later...

Off to make a rhubarb crumble, now.  :nyam:

Thanks for Poop! Pooping in.  Hope you have had a good laugh if nothing else!

Take care, play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Polly

You should really model a period when there were hardly any photos.  It would be so much easier.  If I have a question like this I just ask Mr Price.  

I cannot see the grey on the side of the letters, even with my glasses on.  However, I would agree that the headboard does not look like this.  Was this joint railtour a one off?  If so it is more likely that it is printed and pasted to ply or something.  Not convinced that REC is grey, I think it is just thin black lines so appears grey, which may mean you should paint it grey anyway.  The bottom of the hinges along with the bar do look dark grey but I think all the paint on the smokebox is white.  Off white and a little dirty.  The loco is definitely black though.    At least some things are easy.

Umm, Rhubarb crumble, my favourite.

Edited by ChrisN
Two half posts
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all.

On 25/05/2020 at 18:53, ChrisN said:

Polly

You should really model a period when there were hardly any photos.  It would be so much easier.  If I have a question like this I just ask Mr Price.  

I cannot see the grey on the side of the letters, even with my glasses on.  However, I would agree that the headboard does not look like this.  Was this joint railtour a one off?  If so it is more likely that it is printed and pasted to ply or something.  Not convinced that REC is grey, I think it is just thin black lines so appears grey, which may mean you should paint it grey anyway.  The bottom of the hinges along with the bar do look dark grey but I think all the paint on the smokebox is white.  Off white and a little dirty.  The loco is definitely black though.    At least some things are easy.

Umm, Rhubarb crumble, my favourite.

What a few days!  I think I have cracked it with a bit of jiggery pokery!

I have a few locos to run in an earlier period but I did not ask my grandfather about the railway when I had the chance...but what does a young child know!  So it is onward with the photos.

I came across another pic of 9773 that I have not seen before. It is was taken leaving Windmill Bridge.

The photo shows the letters LCGB more clearly and explains why I thought the blurry letters had a shadow.  It turns out the letters have serifs and belong to the slab font Clarendon/Egyptian condensed type, neither of which are on my Mac Font list apart from Rockwell but no condensed version.  There were several ways I could get round it using screen capture of the fonts available online but I do not have a graphics package to do the job of converting black letters to white.  This was one of those things that I used to take for granted with Microsoft Windows.  The Mac has a "transparency" tool but it corrupts the letters.  I tried it!

In desperation, I looked (again!) at my list of Fonts and the closest match was American Typewriter.

So, how to make a drawing in Mac Pages:

1. Insert the letters onto a black rectangle and make them big, Bold and white.

1844674792_LCGBRECHeadboardLCGBAmericanTypewriter.png.c7a3889e64d1e35a4daad0bf8cd76e94.png

2. Mask the curved lines and rounded serifs with straight lines.

801945739_LCGBRECHeadboardLCGBAmericanTypewritercropped.png.646e05bf7c43eaf4fd4e43165765f19a.png

3. Change the orange lines to black or white as required and space the letters to fit the panel.

1352732751_LCGBRECHeadboardLCGBAmericanTypewritercropped3.png.608c6572d60da447af91f7f939e3c0a2.png

5. Take a screen shot to convert the drawing into an image and reduce its size for use in the Headboard.

282594535_LCGBRECHeadboardLCGBAmericanTypewritercropped2small.png.5ab029a77ce6eb1b9225794254f1011b.png

6. Not an exact copy but Polly Adago Bold is good enough, for now, at that size!

Well, if Swindon can turn out its own slab font...

IMG_0538a.jpeg.5d37049ccc89cfbba84a77046793e6b4.jpeg

(source Clarendon > end product Swindon Egyptian), I reckon I should be able to get away with it! :mosking:

7.  All I have to do next is make the headboard...

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

As to the white bits on metal buffers and black painted hinges, I will get that grey look just by using my white acrylics. When painted over black/grey paint the colours always penetrate through the white, usually an annoyance but this time it should be perfect!*

Ah, yes. Black pannier tank.  Easy.  Hmm. I would just love to capture all those different shades and types of black paint and their various textures and finishes when covered in oil, water, ash, soot, rust and grime.  With a bottle of Rotring ink waiting to be opened, I guess I have no excuse not to make a go of it.

Lastly, the rest of the rhubarb crumble disappeared nicely, thank you, and another tin of rhubarb found its way into this week's shopping basket!  Rhubarb crumble will have to be on the station cafe's menu.  :nyam:

*If anyone knows of a make of acrylic white which stays white when painted over another colour, please let me know.

Loco and headboard:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/40556942635/sizes/3k/

Take care, everyone, and play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi, all.

It seems I have been absent for awhile.  :cry:I don't know where the time goes!

Over a month to make just two sets of LCGB-REC and The Thames Valley Rail Tour headboards.  Quite a few attempts aborted!

The Thames Valley headboard is curved with lettering following the curve.  On my Mac, the only way to put a line of text onto a curve is by putting each letter into its own text box and arranging them accordingly.  With the time spent getting the LCGB-REC headboard "right", I decided to go for a copy instead and work from there.  The curves were cut away from the edges and tidied up with a nail file and a scrap of sandpaper wrapped round a pencil.  Some tidying up work is still needed but I will leave it until the backs are painted and the paper prints are protected with a bit of varnish.  The lettering is darker than it appears, here, although not as sharp as I would like it to be.  Before I make the fixings for the headboards I want to make the lamp irons to take them.

IMG_1959a.jpeg.76ca98d0ed4c956868cd2bfde1ade5ef.jpeg

One set of headboards is for the Large Prairie 6106 which arrived at Southall (Brentford Bay) from Kensington Olympia on the second leg of the Tour.  6106 had the Thames Valley Rail Tour headboard (carried by LMS Ivatt Class 2 46509 on the first leg) on top of the smokebox. 

The other set is for Pannier Tank 9773 which did the Brentford Goods return trip but only carried the Thames Valley headboard at the bunker end, as seen, below, going past the AEC Southall Works, towards the Three Bridges/ Windmill Lane on its way to Firestone Sidings.  The reporting number will be positioned on the model as in the photo (on Flickr).

GWR 0-6-0PT 9773 approaching Windmill Bridge

The return trip, showing the other side of the Three Bridges/Windmill Lane (also on Flickr).

GWR 0-6-0PT 9773 leaving Windmill Bridge

6106 took over from 9773 for the third leg of the Tour from Windsor & Eton Central to Reading General where 2-6-4T 80154 picked up the train for the last leg to London Waterloo. https://www.flickr.com/photos/30937/9112052999/in/photolist-eTcDU4

Next job on the list - the train reporting numbers.

Thanks for poop pooping in.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Polly.

Well done!  These things can take much longer than we expect, even when, and sometimes especially when we plan and work things out beforehand.  (Ask me how I know. No, don't bother it would take toooooo long.)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Chris.  That makes me feel a whole lot better about it, even though I have been there many times before as well with more to come...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/07/2020 at 08:40, southern42 said:

snip....

GWR 0-6-0PT 9773 leaving Windmill Bridge

snip...

Next job on the list - the train reporting numbers.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

...What were we saying about things taking longer than expected?....

This one seems to be no exception!

So on with the train reporting number.

First test with Sankey Scenics.  This was great for getting a feel for the size, and for highlighting cutting and trimming expertise demanded at this scale, not to mention the need for a new blade for the scalpel!

The test photo shows that the borders around the characters were not cut very accurately and thus made the board too long.  There was also heavy ink bleed on the '6' which made it look more like an '8'.  The '9' was no exception so using that upside down was no better.

IMG_1965b.jpeg.648d9fcd4cdc55081f6ad95dbda2a90c.jpeg

Next step.  Considering the numbers on the actual loco. 

The first two characters are a smaller font size than the other two.  Also, the positioning of the '0' is down on the sheet and the '6' is up on the sheet'.

I found that the Universe typeface gave a suitable clearly defined character and did not give over to excessive ink bleed when I printed my own version, below.

1425873705_1X06UniversCondensedBold2.png.d9e472cbd26bcf57e1a87b82c6c938d0.png

Interestingly, the '1' does not have a serif as above, so I substituted it with the letter 'I'.

It is still a little too long and two more are in the making.

Now for the mock-up with 9642 standing in for 9773, the reporting number on a blob of blutack, the headboard freestanding and using 9642's head lamp.

IMG_2045a.jpeg.2a86d66fc0d587264a5200993e065940.jpeg

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

you have far more patience than I have Polly.. I might do something like that once..on special occasions maybe twice.. but that's it!

Very nice work!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/07/2020 at 21:32, Barry O said:

you have far more patience than I have Polly.. I might do something like that once..on special occasions maybe twice.. but that's it!

Very nice work!

Baz

Thanks, Baz. Kind of you to say so and thanks to you all for the ratings.  Much appreciated.

Hmm.  I think this must be a special occasion - well, it is a 'special' train, after all.  I doubt I will have time to do this with all my locos as much as I would like.  

Polly

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, southern42 said:

Thanks, Baz. Kind of you to say so and thanks to you all for the ratings.  Much appreciated.

Hmm.  I think this must be a special occasion - well, it is a 'special' train, after all.  I doubt I will have time to do this with with all my locos as much as I would like.  

Polly

Polly,

Second time round is always easier, as you have learnt from the first time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mock-up of the train reporting number* and both headboards (all blutacked on) for going bunker first down the branch line.  

IMG_2064a.jpeg.a65f26c01c18284726f201ab5b549ea5.jpeg

I cut out a final pair of reporting numbers (2nd & 3rd numbers, below) and mounted them on Sankey Scenics boards which I painted before glueing.   The top number is my first attempt with Sankey Scenics characters and unpainted board, and is about 2mm longer than the final pair.

IMG_2102a.jpeg.2657b80f3d60ad14dc3e75a563f22f7a.jpeg

The mock-up also shows the need to make the Thames Valley headboard a bit smaller.  Second time easier?  :dontknow: :scratchhead:

Since I still have the reporting number to do for 6106 and the brassy bits (lamp brackets) to add to both pannier tanks and large prairie, as well as make the 'slot boxes' for the headboards to go over the brackets, plus two locos to renumber to 9773 and 6106, not to mention a bit of weathering...I may be some time getting this little project completed.  Plenty to do to keep me out of mischief the thread going. :mosking:

* And, yes, the reporting number should be at an angle, at the Three Bridges, anyway!  I wonder if it was on straight when it left Southall?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/41364425732/sizes/3k/

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Help solve the riddle of the wonky train reporting number.

In two photos* taken at Staines West of the bunker end of pannier tank 9773, it looks like something is attached to the lamp bracket.  At first, I  assumed it was the handle end of a shovel poking out... but is it, rather, a gadget/tool (wrench?), placed over the lamp bracket, and on which was hung the number board?

* 10th and 11th photos:  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/staines_west/index2.shtml

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

Is it a lamp bracket?  It appears to come from inside the bunker. (I have no idea how the lamp brackets were attached so that is how it might be.)  I thought it was a shovel at first but the big thing at the back which I thought was the blade is in fact the cab window.  Whatever it is is just wonky.

• RMweb Premium

The top lamp bracket is bolted onto the upper plate of the bunker from what I can make out from photos of other pannier tanks.  Would they have attached something like this monkey wrench I have just found up for sale?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monkey-Wrench-Vintage-Large-Adjustable-Wrench/262918467867?hash=item3d3729711b:g:WMoAAOSwXYtYtut9

Edit...bearing in mind that this one is somewhat on the rusty side!

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Further down sizing...

1. Resize the LCGB-REC headboard.

IMG_2128a.jpeg.21954263ae3a30ed059819cae8c8a5c2.jpeg

2. Resize the Thames Valley Rail Tour headboard and sharpen the lettering.

1204914881_IMG_2067sharpa.jpeg.ede999534ff359e66819bc62eb108823.jpeg

3. Re do mock-up.

Before IMG_2064a.jpeg.a27fd8c5d663568ec487234fe6b566b4.jpeg   After IMG_2152a.jpeg.69972f753692b3793a76b7a20f083c59.jpeg

Just a matter of a millimetre or two!

And onto the next little job...

Polly

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2020 at 07:54, southern42 said:

Snip....

And onto the next little job...

Polly

Not the little job I had intended but one that also needed looking at:

Making slot boxes for the headboards.

Starting with the idea of strips of plasticard to make the boxes, as before with pannier tank 9642, I thought there must be an easier way to do it, as you do.  First idea was to use plastic rectangular tube but I did not find any small enough.  There may be some out there but not on my searches.  However, I did find some Evergreen U channel (.060"/1.5mm) thinking I could glue two strips together to make a box shape.

Dummy run, using sellotape and blutack, to test the idea out.

Lamp bracket secure (-ish).

IMG_2203.jpeg.58a9be15a4db9d4c0f77c70221ec331e.jpeg

Two strips of channel sellotaped together and secured to the back of a spare headboard.

IMG_2206.jpeg.a46447a809c893a38451134f0e64fc57.jpeg

Slot box placed over the lamp bracket.

IMG_2213a.jpeg.adb5eff13d55ae4114519d682d409d5e.jpeg

As it seems to work, I shall take it from there.  I think it will, probably, be easier to make a long tube, first, and then cut it into headboard size pieces rather than make each one individually.  When I say, long, I am thinking a couple of centimetres!

And as you can see, I also launched into the brasswork - taking the bold step to cut the bracket from the sprue, clean up the edges and bend it.  Confidence does not come easy, these days but I am getting there!   :help:  :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Onward with the slot boxes.

I much prefer this alternative test piece, a strip of plasticard (the thinner side on the left of the box) glued over the channel using Slater's Mek-Pak, then trimmed to size.  The slot box is attached to the headboard with the same stuff and the fitting of the bracket is, shall we say, a snug fit.  Fiddly job but I am happy with it.  A few more to make and attach to their respective headboards.

IMG_2228a.jpeg.4f3bae6f70947c95e446a324227fc4e1.jpeg

IMG_2227a.jpeg.1adbb85e2fd7498e9acd5ad23a53f50a.jpeg

Not sure what to do about mounting the headboards on the bunker end of the pannier tank as the tail lamp brackets are moulded onto the body.  Two options that I see: 1) blob of blueback as in the mock-up or 2) file the brackets down and attach brass ones. If I were brave enough I would go with option 2....  I will have another look when I come to renumber the loco.

Thanks for poop poop pooping in.

Hope everyone is well.

Polly

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/08/2020 at 10:59, southern42 said:

Help solve the riddle of the wonky train reporting number.

In two photos* taken at Staines West of the bunker end of pannier tank 9773, it looks like something is attached to the lamp bracket.  At first, I  assumed it was the handle end of a shovel poking out... but is it, rather, a gadget/tool (wrench?), placed over the lamp bracket, and on which was hung the number board?

* 10th and 11th photos:  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/staines_west/index2.shtml

Polly

I started by cutting off a section of the slot box I made, yesterday, for the back of the train reporting number.

I then set about doing another mock-up to test the theory that a tool of some sort was placed over the top bunker lamp bracket to hold the board. 

First I had to clean some paint off the back of the board before using Mek-Pak to mount the slot box onto the board.

The tool (angled ring spanner/wrench type) is made from a 26/6 staple - one end bent into a ring, and the rest of the prongs removed - and simply pops over the lamp bracket.  The tool needs bending to shape a bit more and, perhaps, shortened but that can wait until it can be mounted onto the loco when I can work out the proper angle for best effect.

Zoomed in to highlight detail.

IMG_2247a.jpeg.1d2634512c4f6f581244a943219713ff.jpeg

The reporting number slips onto the tool handle.

IMG_2260a.jpeg.45c90c2cd051c453d68516aa3eb67bd6.jpeg

IMG_2259a.jpeg.02ec897da48a26046fefaa02c904bbea.jpeg

The idea of the slot boxes seems to work, so onward with making some more...

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2