Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Suggestions for places to visit

ForestPines

Hello there,

I noticed that the other day someone had posted on my "Where does a beginner to German railways start?" thread suggesting a visit to Miniatur Wonderland.

Coincidentally, I am planning my next trip to Germany soon; and although I won't be able to visit Miniatur Wonderland, I was considering asking on here if anyone had any suggestions for railway sites to visit in the area I'll be in. It occurred that maybe if I started this thread, it could turn into a general "have you seen...?" thread for people who read the German Railways board.

The area I'm going to, incidentally, is the Middle Rhine. I've been on the Drachenfelsbahn before (a town-twinning school trip back in the mists of time) and was planning to visit the Brohltalbahn, but are there any other interesting railway lines in that area?

The branchline from Boppard to Emmelshausen is an enjoyable climb through the forest.

Koblenz has a small railway museum

The following museum railways, sometimes offering steam trips or events, should be reachable from

http://www.eifelquerbahn.de/ - You could combine this with a trip along the beautiful Mosel valley (Kannonenbahn)

http://bahnwelt.de/ Railway museum near Darmstadt.

I realise it is nowhere near your location this time round, however this place is well worth a visit.

As far as I understand it now it is a tourist attraction, although in the very recent past it was a working railway from monday to friday, with weekends being given over to the steam fans.

The Schloß in the town, it's quite a hike up the hill, but worth it. When the Russians took over the area the Schloß was locked up and in effect left as a time capsule. It was when I visited quite sad to see things laid down only to never be touched again, giving lie to how quickly the occupants left. It was only after the wall came down that the Schloß was entered.

http://www.wernigerode.de/de/ausflugtipps/die-harzer-schmalspurbahnen-20002881.html

As stated well worth a visit.

regards

Nigel

The branchline from Boppard to Emmelshausen is an enjoyable climb through the forest.

Koblenz has a small railway museum

The following museum railways, sometimes offering steam trips or events, should be reachable from

http://www.eifelquerbahn.de/ - You could combine this with a trip along the beautiful Mosel valley (Kannonenbahn)

http://bahnwelt.de/ Railway museum near Darmstadt.

Thank you for the help! Unfortunately by the time of my visit most railway places seem to be only open on Saturdays - so the DB Museum Koblenz will probably lose out to the Eifelquerbahn.

• RMweb Gold

Once again, not the right area of Germany. But Nuremburg is well worth a visit. Lots of model railway shops. An interesting transport museum (which may stil have a very interesting model display that portrays the same station at different eras - a great layout idea). And (once again I don't know if stil there) a little terminus station on the edge of town centre which would make a nice model.

Your original question prompted me to look at the website for the Brohltalbahn, which I used to pass quite regularly when I lived in Bonn around 1980. In those days, it was still earning its living by shipping stone from a quarry up in the hills at the top of the Brohl valley to the interchange sidings and the barge loading point at Brohl. Given the narrow and steep road up the valley, it was not too hard to understand why there was some support for reducing lorry traffic!

Reading the website now, it looks as though it is entirely a tourist line with a rather more diverse selection of rolling stock.

If I were in the area, I would certainly stop to have a look. The B9 road between Bad Godesburg and Koblenz covers one of the more interesting sections of the Rhine, including the remains of the bridge at Remagen and the Ahrtalbahn which is also worth a look (if it is still open).

Best wishes

Eric

Hello ,

my suggestions are

Kasbachtalbahn which starts in Linz.

Brohltalbahn

Ahrtalbahn,a very interesting DB standard line.

DB Museum Koblenz,which opens til 31.8 from thuesday til sunday from 11 to 17.

Not exactly in this area but near by:

Villeexpress,an old train in which you can eat.

post-15079-0-23223600-1343852390_thumb.jpgpost-15079-0-13668100-1343852422_thumb.jpg

The Schluff an old Steamtrain which runs 3 times on sundays in Krefeld.

post-15079-0-00507600-1343852448.jpg

Kind regards

Soeren

Following some minor archaeological excavation in the loft, I managed to unearth some photos of the Brohltalbahn as it was thirty years ago. I hope that these scans may be of interest.

post-9472-0-89230300-1343931447_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-92979400-1343931458_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-48156700-1343931472_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-35586600-1343931486_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-67486900-1343931502_thumb.jpg

Best wishes

Eric

Edited to correct finger trouble

Thanks, everyone!

I did consider staying at a campsite near the Ahrtalbahn, as it happens. My trip isn't until September, by which time it seems that preserved railways in the area will only be open on Weekends.

About 20 years ago, I must have travelled across that Autobahn-viaduct that crosses the Brohltalbahn. Sadly, I was unaware there was a railway there at the time - and, it being a school trim, I wasn't in a position to request a detour!

You could do worse than simply getting on a train at Bonn and travelling down to Mainz (making sure that you had a seat on the "river" side of the train). It is probably the most interesting part of the Rhine with fantastic views. I remember having to do the trip on business and thinking "I am actually being paid to do this".

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Without wishing to hijack this thread can I ask if any of this, or anything else is near Gutersloh? My daughter is moving there end of Sept so I will hopefully be making a few visits over the next two years.

Without wishing to hijack this thread can I ask if any of this, or anything else is near Gutersloh? My daughter is moving there end of Sept so I will hopefully be making a few visits over the next two years.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46036-gutersloh-nord-raf-gutersloh/

There is a private railway that has steam specials typically from the Nord (goods) station.

There is also a 600mm feldbahn around a bierkeller in the outskirts of town - well worth a visit,

Jon

You could do worse than simply getting on a train at Bonn and travelling down to Mainz (making sure that you had a seat on the "river" side of the train). It is probably the most interesting part of the Rhine with fantastic views. I remember having to do the trip on business and thinking "I am actually being paid to do this".

Best wishes

Eric

Couple of tasters from earlier this year, taken through the window near the Lorelei rock

post-6971-0-86434300-1344010806.jpg

post-6971-0-15733700-1344010809.jpg

This is quite a good site for locating German preservation groups,

http://www.vdmt.de/

but there are relatively few preserved railways, most groups have preserved loco's and/or engine sheds, and run their locos on the DB network (or private operators systems) on a few weekends a year.

I wonder if we should create a seperate thread for each 'Lander' perhaps inculuding the names of major citys in the thread, so that when members search for what there is to see near Frankfurt, it helps bring that thread closer to the top?

Jon

Well,if you are in the area of Gütersloh it is not very far to the modellbundesbahn in Bad Driburg, when you are in Bad Driburg just take the 8 kilometres to the viaduct in Altenbeken.

In Bielefeld you can find the "Ringlokschuppen", which was a shed few years ago. Now it is a party location, but the turntable is still there and there is I think a "Köf 1" to see.

If you are not only looking for railway, take a trip to Minden, with the "Schachtschleuse" (a floodgate) and the "Wasserstraßenkreuz" (a crossing of a river called Weser and the "Mittelandkanal", a channel). Unfortunately the area of the "Forschungs und Technologie Zentrum" of the Deutsche Bahn is not open for a short look.

Any questions? :D

• 1 month later...

Archived