Middletown Terminus and Yard

GeorgeW

Hello, My name is George Williamson, I'm 22, from mid Wales, and have been modelling Narrow Gauge since I was 16. since recently completing a 7mm 0 16.5 layout 'Neptune Wharf' and selling it on, I am looking into the other side of modelling. I grew up around the Talyllyn railway in Tywyn, and live near the Welshpool and Llanfair so have always been narrow gauge orientated. But since working in Shrewsbury to Ludlow, I am constantly held up by the Class 66 and 70's with rakes of 20+ wagons at crossings. I've always been a fan of large diesels, EWS etc, and my love has grown since seeing them everyday I have decided to take the plunge and bought my very first non kit engine! The Bachmann Freightliner Class 66, DCC sound. I like things dirty so the first plan is to attack it with the airbrush and powders.

->Does anyone know of super detailing kits or tips for this diesel?

My other love are the DMU class 158's, which used to take us to Shrewsbury and the coast when I was younger! so I am planning for these aswell.

->Does anyone know if you can get these already sound chipped, or will I have to do it myself? if so, what would be the best sound chip?

The next plan was getting some track down for it. I usually build my layouts on two 4x2 foot boards connected, on stands, but as I need the room for other things, I am planning this to be a shelf layout along one wall. space is around 10 foot long. I have whipped up a plan which if anyone has any ideas for a better one, I'm welcome to suggestions!

So here we are

Trackplan-2.png

Trains enter from the right, under the road bridge (the railway is lower than the road so the rear of the layout will be a large retaining wall - inspired by Shrewsbury) the main line runs to the left into the stations platforms, which will have canopies over head. (station will be based around Aberystwyth station) The yard behind has a 2 lane shed to the right and various sidings to the left and behind. The line in the centre is a brick wall, just to break the scene abit, they also have them at shrewsbury and I've always been curious to whats behind them - I can put what I like now! little things..

Thats all for now, I will update when I get something done!

Thankyou

George

• RMweb Premium

My other love are the DMU class 158's, which used to take us to Shrewsbury and the coast when I was younger! so I am planning for these aswell.

->Does anyone know if you can get these already sound chipped, or will I have to do it myself? if so, what would be the best sound chip?

The current Bachmann 158 is not DCC ready and needs a bit of work to hard wire and fit sound. However, the 158 is listed by Bachmann as being totally revamped soon and I would expect it to be offered in DCC ready/DCC fitted/DCC sound options. However, the liveries available may not be to your requirements, so you may have to go down the hard-wired route or repaint.

Looking forward to further updates.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived