Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Graham farish decoders in Dapol loco's

hst125

Hi there ,

I think this topic has come up before but with not much of a reply for myself as i noticed it about a year ago. I have been away abroad for 6 months.

It is like this -

The current price of any other decoder other than the farish one is £30. ( usually gaugemaster )

The farish docoder can be bought for on average £14-£16.

I have several Dapol loco's that require the fitment of chips, ideally at a cheaper price than the £30 gaugemaster chips

It seems that the farish decoder does not fit into Dapol loco's due to the blue insulation that the decoder has wrapped round it . I have bought the gaugemaster chips ( which do not have any insulation on it , and these fit fine

Has anyone tried to take the insulation of the farish chip and fitted it sucsefully to a Dapol loco , therby reducing the cost of chipping loco's. i understand space is at a premium in most of dapols loco,s.

Please advise

Paul Ratcliffe

• RMweb Premium

I've got one fitted into a Dapol 86 at present, and I also tried it in a Dapol 66. Had no problems at all, so the available space seems to vary depending on each particular Dapol loco.

The 66 now has one of the latest Zimo's, a 622 NEM651 (£24.95 -Coastal DCC), and the 86 will also get one. Much better motor performance and well worth the extra cost over the long term.

I usually just use the Bachmann chip as a tester when I first get a loco with a NEM651 socket, the low speed motor control just isn't good enough for me I'm afraid and I just stick to CT and Zimo now having tried the rest, Lenz, etc.

Izzy

Is stuck a Bachmann 6 pin in both DP1 (farish) and Papyrus (Dapol). Farish DP1 went in easily as you'd expect, but the Dapol A3 required a bit of a shove, due to the chip needing to sit flat. It went in fine though, and performance is good.

Hi,

Yes you can take the heat shrink off, but make sure the chip is still isolated and isn't going to short on the chasis or other components, such as lighting bars in the roof of the body. To be honest the insulation is quite thin anyway, I would suspect anything you used to isolate the chip after you remove it would be just as thick if not thicker.

I'm not sure what loco's you are trying to fit the chip into, but I put one of these into a Dapol 86 for somebody and it went in straight away. Then I bought one, fitted a chip and couldn't get the body to sit back down properly. Having a look at the 86 I'd done previously, I noticed that the body on my 86 had come from the factory the other way round, so I unplugged the lighting connections, whipped it around and the body went on perfectly. Doh moment.

I've also had bad experiences with a Dapol 9f, I still haven't found a chip that will sit in the tender properly and I've gone through quite a list (TCS, Lenz, Digitrax, ZTC etc.). Even the blanking plug that comes with the loco makes the tender top hard to put on and this doesn't have any components on it. Nothing is going to work for that model apart from hard wiring it.

The Bachmann chip is OK, but it is very basic and as others mention and doesn't have the kind of fine motor control found in the other manufacturers chips. I tend to use Digitrax DZ125 as a good 'value' decoder. The wired version is around £18 and the pin (NEM 651) version is around £20.

Cheers, Mark.

• 1 month later...

My answer is DON'T!!!

I have had 2 Dapol Hymeks that have quite literally melted with the Bachmann chip fitted. Both were sitting in wired sidings awaiting their next turn of duty and when called to action they were dead with a large melted hole in the roof! I am not sure if this is because the insulation was touching the circuit board or if there was a compatibility issue. Suffice to say I will not be using tha Bachmann chip in anything other than a Farish loco in future.

Thankfully Hattons have replaced both locos, even though one of them was over 6 months old. I have replaced the Bachmann chip with the Gaugemaster chip and, to date at least, no problems.

As a US based modeller I looked for a locally sourced supplier of the Gaugemaster decoder and found that the Gaugemaster decoder is identical to one from Digitrax: the DZ125IN. You can find this on e-Bay for about $20 (About GBP14). Even with postage to the UK, this is probably worth researching. I bought 5 for less than $100 with free shipping...

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I have used the Bachmann decoder in all my Dapol class 66's and 67's. The excess blue heat shrink extending beyond the decoder needs trimming off.

The Bachamnn decoder doesnt fit into the new Dapol class 56 as it lifts the body off the chassis, so I have used a Gaugemaster one in this case.

Hi all, just joined the forum after much browsing. I don't know whether Vonzack has fixed his 9F problem by now. I'm guessing yes. But just in case, I had the same problem and I spoke to those nice people at Digitrains who suggested the CT Elektronik DCX75DN. It seems to be the smallest 6 pin on the market. Anyway: it fits!

Ian

Hi all, just joined the forum after much browsing. I don't know whether Vonzack has fixed his 9F problem by now. I'm guessing yes. But just in case, I had the same problem and I spoke to those nice people at Digitrains who suggested the CT Elektronik DCX75DN. It seems to be the smallest 6 pin on the market. Anyway: it fits!

Ian

Hi Ian Mc,

No, the 9F problem is still unresolved. I'll pass on the info about the CT chip as it's not one of mine.

Cheers, Mark.

Archived