Feltham Yard

Jack P

[First of all, I'm sorry for having to ask so many questions, I am fairly young and our libraries here are not the best, and I have no-one in my family who can pass down information so a lot of it has been gained through the internet and you guys - so thank you to those who help and to those who assume things are obvious, they very much aren't to me. To make things worse, I'm not as meticulous and trained in scanning information as some of you veteran minds ]

Hey guys,

I have trawled the internet looking for pictures of Feltham yard and MPD, I just need more! biggrin.gif

Does anyone have;

- Any track plans of the area

- Any of the back of the shed

- Or any of the shed from the mainline

Also, Could anyone tell me what MPDs/Stations are North/South of Feltham. I do not have the advantage of having lived in England at any point so I know nothing about the geography, and I can't find a railway map from 1945-1947.

Thank you very much

Jack smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jack

First, just a guess, was it this page that got you interested? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/etexts/Gov04_07Rail/Gov04_07Rail047a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/Gov04_07Rail-fig-Gov04_07Rail047a.html&h=557&w=1039&sz=75&tbnid=AqENDiQctJ-eLM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=124&zoom=1&usg=__Fffq4bgz0SDo4flv_2YYSVou1Dg=&docid=OXjl_pLSMet-vM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kwgZUNShMJKyhAe3lYD4Dg&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAA&dur=383 I think Google has a few other Feltham snaps, too.

Feltham is in SW/W London, very close to Twickenham, where many Kiwis, under the All-Black banner, have succeeded on the rugby pitch! The London & South Western Railway built the line here, opening it in 1848. The whole route to here from London Waterloo is called the Windsor Lines, as that is one of the principal termini. Other important stations further down the line include Staines, Ascot and Reading. Immediately to the east of Feltham is a triangular junction, of which the third leg goes north to the Hounslow Loop. This then leads to Old Kew Junction, the limit of Southern Railway metals, from where lines lead to the key railway routes north of London, over which much of the important traffic from Britain's industries would be brought south. The Southern railway didn't generate as much freight traffic as the other 3 members of the Big 4 - Great Western, London, Midland & Scottish, and London North Eastern railways did - so it was a net receiver of goods traffic, not an originator. Feltham was chosen as the site of the hump yard since it enabled trains to arrive and be sorted for multiple destinations on the Southern Railway. It had its own engine shed/MPD, code number 70B.

HTH a bit!

Hi Ian,

It was actually this picture!

marshalling_yards_1.jpg

I thought, YAY! An engine shed that can be re-created in model form in it's entirety, only 6 roads! None of this silly Nine Elms 3652f5 road nonsense. Coupled with the fact that the shed runs right the way through, and onto a turntable coaling area. (just need pictures of it) Thank you for the information! Very useful and I didn't know about the shed-code! Will be useful when searching for engines which were stabled there!

Thanks a bunch!

Jack :)

This was my local large yard, and undoubtedly the start of a life time of wagonning. Various pictures taken in Feltham yard are scattered all over my zenfolio site. By the time we visited the steam shed was in use for wagon repairs.

A really useful article was in British Railways Illustrated FELTHAM - Yard and Shed BRILL 10/1994 Vol 4-1 Article - on the history of the yard with track plan, map of connections and tables for 1953 workings and diagrams for MPD.

BRILL and Bylines often have photographs of locos taken alongside the shed - it seems to have been frequently and easily visited, the old Ian Allan spotters books often had pictures taken in the same positions.

Inside the shed is in this view http://PaulBartlett....mprey/e287c4615

As mentioned earlier, Feltham was an important yard for cross London transfer freights, so Locos from other regions could be seen there.

Locomotive allocations would be in

BR (SR)

Locomotives

Shed by Shed, Part 5 Southern steam locomotive allocations to sheds 70A – 75G 1950 - 1968

WALMSLEY, Tony

St. Petroc Info Publishing, Cobb, Ireland

Paul Bartlett

This was my local large yard, and undoubtedly the start of a life time of wagonning. Various pictures taken in Feltham yard are scattered all over my zenfolio site. By the time we visited the steam shed was in use for wagon repairs.

A really useful article was in British Railways Illustrated FELTHAM - Yard and Shed BRILL 10/1994 Vol 4-1 Article - on the history of the yard with track plan, map of connections and tables for 1953 workings and diagrams for MPD.

BRILL and Bylines often have photographs of locos taken alongside the shed - it seems to have been frequently and easily visited, the old Ian Allan spotters books often had pictures taken in the same positions.

Inside the shed is in this view http://PaulBartlett....mprey/e287c4615

As mentioned earlier, Feltham was an important yard for cross London transfer freights, so Locos from other regions could be seen there.

Locomotive allocations would be in

BR (SR)

Locomotives

Shed by Shed, Part 5 Southern steam locomotive allocations to sheds 70A – 75G 1950 - 1968

WALMSLEY, Tony

St. Petroc Info Publishing, Cobb, Ireland

Paul Bartlett

An immense thank you! Could not be more helpful! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Further to hrmspaul's comment I've also just recently purchased a copy of the British Railways Illustrated article on Feltham Yard from October 1994. There is a largescale diagram of the area included that folds out from the centre of the magazine along with pictures of the turntable, coaling stage and more. I've also recently visited the site (which is now something of a nature reserve - see more here: http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/rail/feltham-marshalling-yards.htm

• 1 month later...

Used to travel past it every day, on my way to school in London.

Always looked to see if there was a W 2-6-4T waiting at the up end with a London transfer freight as we sped past..

I was disappointed when these rather ordinary tanks replaced the coffee pots (Q1) on the pick up freight at Staines.

Paul Bartlett

Archived