Swindon Works Stores Van

Hi all

I have recently read Adrian Vaughans book 'Signalman's Morning' in it he mentions the local service arriving with a stores van from Swindon, in the book it is suggested that the stores van is park of Queen Victoria's Royal train of 1897, I am mainly enquiring to see if anyone has any photos of the stores vans especially the one descrided in the book and what livery they ran with.

Many Thanks

Benjamin

Hi all

I have recently read Adrian Vaughans book 'Signalman's Morning' in it he mentions the local service arriving with a stores van from Swindon, in the book it is suggested that the stores van is park of Queen Victoria's Royal train of 1897, I am mainly enquiring to see if anyone has any photos of the stores vans especially the one descrided in the book and what livery they ran with.

Many Thanks

Benjamin

Without a bit of burrowing, I can't lay my hands on the composition of the royal train in 1987. However, Russell's Pictorial History of GW coaches, vol 1 has two photos from the early 1890s. I know the royal saloon had been changed by '97, but the two PBVs may still have been in use. They were both four-wheeled, one a V2 and the other a V5. Either would probably have made a useful stores van.

Nick

Quite right, Miss P. I should have looked further1 through Russell vol 1. He has photos of the Jubilee train and of the two K12s, No 1069 and 1070 in later use as stores vans at Swindon. The latest of the photos shows 1070 at Old Oak carriage shed in 1947. He also has a drawing.

Nick

1 this is a duplicate topic, I've reported it so that it can be merged.

Ben I have merged your two separate threads into one. As you may have seen you have had answers in both which makes it difficult to keep track of and members who may post in one may not have seen an identical answer in the other. It becomes confusing for all so that is why we ask members not to post the same question in different sections.

At various times they were known as 'linen' vans transporting cleaned items from the laundry at Swindon, bringing back the dirty items to be washed and pressed. My aunty worked in the linen plant for many years and recalled the ex royals in use. There are many published shots of the vans, including colour views, usually at the head of a train for easy removal. In BR days they often were at the head of the running in train from Swindon to Bristol, a popular train for photographers at the time due to ex works locos being used. Great Western Steam in the 30's Vol2, Steam around Baths, early years of Western Steam all have views in trains. For colour see the excellent Kevin Robertson book Great Western Coaches in Colour showing all over brown livery in 1956 at the head od blood and custard stock.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived