LNER 51' Suburban Stock

Hi all,

Just a quick update regarding the 51' suburban coach bodies I did a while back - well I've finally got them printed! These have been done in Prime Grey - although I've forgotten to add door handles (annoying as I'll have to reprint). I've not got a finalised chassis yet, the one in picture is a very early attempt done with Strong White and Flexible which, as can be seen, is riding a little high. The bogies are early Dapol ones and will be replaced at a later date with some of my own design.

The composite has been primed but the others are still in the condition they arrived in!

post-943-0-86781900-1344450844_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-43107800-1344450900_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-97911400-1344450935_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, thanks for the comments!

Joseph, yes I agree that we might well be seeing an increase in the number of ECML layouts. Most certainly with the arrival of some up to date A3's and A4's. If you include the Union Mills range we've now got a respectable amount of motive power available RTR, however we're still missing some 0-6-0 tank locomotives.

Richard, according to iMaterialize the minimum detail for their Prime Grey material is 0.3mm. However, I've managed to get models to print successfully with detail down to 0.1mm - although you're pushing the limit here as it doesn't come out 100% of the time! I now prefer Prime Grey to FUD (Shapeways) as it seems stronger, doesn't warp as easily with larger parts and has a smoother finish. You do need some cleaning up though as the print lines are visible.

Usually for cleaning I spray three coats of car paint (Halfords), usually a primer, a top coat (whatever car colour I've got in at the time) and then another coat of primer. I find that this usually removes most of the visible stepping although rubbing down with medium and fine wet and dry (and/or a glass fibre brush) is usually still needed followed by a final coat of primer to give a good surface finish. I use this method of finishing with both Prime Grey and FUD.

Be warned though, for parts with curves running through multiple plains (i.e. smoke box doors) I'd still use FUD. This is because FUD is printed at a finer resolution than Prime Grey and therefore is better for small complex parts.

These look really good. I don't suppose there is any chance of some GWR suburban stock? At least with the current range of GWR tank locos there is plenty available to haul them.

Thank you! At the moment I'm concentrating on LNER stock (being an LNER nut I've got a lot of reference books and drawings available!) however I am looking at doing this with some LMS Period 1 stock so never say never!

Do you have any suggestions where I could source appropriate drawings and source material?

First things first though - I need to get back into production and get some kits on sale again!

Russells books on GWR coaches are probably a good starting point. Volume 2 is probably the most suitable as it covers the "Big 4" period coaches as well as the ones that survived into BR service.

I don't remember specific diagrams but the later Collett suburban coaches strike me as a good option. Introduced in the 1930s but the same basic pattern continued to be built until after nationalisation and at least one batch was built for the LMS/LMR. They lasted until 1962/63 before finally being superceded by DMUs.

Great stuff. I'll have a look into these when funds allow!

Feel free to drop me PM if/when that time comes. I would be more than happy to help with research. Hopefully choosing a diagram to allow the use of Dapol bogies would make life easier.

Do you have any suggestions where I could source appropriate drawings and source material?

Official Drawings 3: Great Western Coaches. Lewis, J. 1998. Possibly still available from Wild Swan new? Probably cheaper than the Russel books and the detail of the drawings is much better for making models. You do need to know the overall layout of the whole coach however because you only get one example of each type.

GWR coachea are nightmare. The GWR may have figured out standardisation for locomotives pretty early on but the carriage works appear to have been fairly unimpressed with the concept. There is so much stock which is unique to specific lines and routes or was built five times before they decided to change the window layout. You want to model Birmingham Moor St suburban trains - well they had their own unique coaches, and so it goes on and on...

And then the bogies - the Southern managed one bogie (plus very minor variants), the LMS two (including a six wheel version), the LNER small variants on one basic design (8'/ 8'6/heavy/light) plus re-use of a couple of old designs they inherited, the GWR, no that would be too simple, and then to maximise the modelling pain they played "bogie of the decade" with coaches so you have to check drawings and tables to put the right bogies on a given coach.

The GWR carrriage works had lots of things right but they weren't thinking of modellers 8)

Best drawings I've found for much of the GWR stock are from 1950s and 1960s magazines.

Alan

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm guess I'll be looking into some GWR (quick say my Hail Mary's!) reference books sometime in the future!

Alan, after what I've gone through trying to sort out the Gunnell, I think those carriages might be a welcome break! :jester:

Anyway, taking a break from the Gunnell while I await further instructions on how to proceed, I thought I'd get on with a little more 51' stock. So far, I've added in the door handles on all the models and built up a chassis/interior combination for the first and third coaches. Not the most detailed interiors in the world but how much will really be seen?

Pictures below...

FullFirstAssembly.jpg

Full first

FullThirdAssembly.jpg

Full third

I've sectioned the coach bodies so that the interior can be seen - hopefully nobody will comment that there is only half a coach body on each chassis!

They look a lot like the old* Farish interiors and perfectly acceptable they were (overlooking the pegs that held the roof up).

*I've no idea whether the post Poole production coaches and newer releases are any different because I don't have any recent stuff from them.

Thanks for the encouragement on the interiors. Yes, they do look a bit like the old Poole ones, I didn't even think about the at first. I guess there are only so many solutions to a problem.

cheesysmith, I was looking at a C12 but would be unlikely to make a silly mistake like that at the moment! However, getting into 4mm again is very tempting...

• 2 weeks later...

I can guess - you looked at a drawing like the one in "Historic Carriage Drawings in 4mm". There are a couple of errors I've found in them. The Thompson drawings also have the battery boxes on the wrong side of some vehicles (an error repeated in several kits!)

Archived