62005 in Edinburgh

Chameleon

Anyone know why 62005 is sitting at Joppa in Edinburgh this week? The mainline steam site shows it arrived from Fort William on the 5th and its due to go back on the 11th.

It dosent appear to be working any tours or suchlike and I doubt it's for maintainence, as it here's nothing they could do there that they can't in Ft William.

Any ideas?

Oh I'd forgotten about the wheel lathe opposite. That would probably explain it being separated from its coach. I suppose they can handle wheels that large? Need to disconnect the conrods etc.

Certainly no signs of life round it for the last couple of days.

I suppose they can handle wheels that large?

Hi,

The Wheel Lathes operate on the contact point between the wheel and rail and then rotate the wheel to turn the tyre, the contact point is roughly the same for all rail sizes reguardless of diameter or size.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The Wheel Lathes operate on the contact point between the wheel and rail and then rotate the wheel to turn the tyre, the contact point is roughly the same for all rail sizes reguardless of diameter or size.

Simon

True, but the point about con rods still stands as I don't know of any diesel / Electric loco (other than a 08), DMU, EMU that has its axles linked together mechanically.

Archived